2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a 25L batch just in case, so no objections here...

also, buttersd70, welcome to the wonderful world of yeast slanting!

Happy for one or two more. Yet to brew but will bottle the entire lot. I figure 22ltrs will cover me.

As for a plate, I will have a think and see what I can come up with.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

HK

I am happy as well - also , aren't we using the coopers brown pet bottles for the swap - help stop breakages....

also, buttersd70, welcome to the wonderful world of yeast slanting!

its your bloody fault, actually. I had read some posts from you previously that got me thinkin......that and the fact that the yorkshire yeast is limited release, so wanted to make sure that I had ample stocks. ;)

Made my blanks 2 days ago, and the excess moisture seems to have gone, so just waiting now to ensure no mould or other nasties. Once thats done, will propogate. So, hopefully, all going to plan, will have 3 0gen types available for swapping. Thames valley 1275, West Yorkshire 1469, and Budvar 2000.

On a side note, can we ensure that any bottle conditioned beer going in the swap is labeled with the yeast type, and an indication of what gen it is? For those that do slant, or farm?

nice one gents.
the question now is what to brew... just put down an ipa with target/n.brewer to bitter and nelson sauvin aroma hopping. not sure if it fits the sessionability theme (personally i dont mind smashing down ipa's in summer). next brew is probably a blonde ale, will see what comes up better.
cheers,
chops

Someone brew something with 1469 for me! I'm looking forward to having another English yeast to play with. I've just pitched a starter of 1968 onto what should be my case swap beer, a Special Bitter.

Also, I hope there's some of DrSmurto's Landlord around, whether it's the swap beer or not - I've brewed a version of this so it would be good to try the 'original'.

Will be using the 1469 on an ESB that I am planning for the case swap. Provided Beerbelly comes through with it.

BYB

1469 - we're all like kids with new toys. popular little bugger, isn't it? :lol:

when i get some 1469 i'll make it into a -80C frozen stock (like i do all the other strains) which should keep indefinitely :D

Well, the yeast has been ordered and on it's way - now it's just up to those further up the food chain to "come through with it"....should be here any time as far as I know....

I am happy as well - also , aren't we using the coopers brown pet bottles for the swap - help stop breakages....

Ok, I'll bite.

Dont care what material your bottle is made out of, the volume is the issue. Longnecks are the accepted vessel for the swap. No stubbies.

I only break glasses, not bottles. We can have a glass breaking ceremony before we start to get it out of the system?

Do i have to get you all to sign a waiver before you enter my property? If so, i will need to charge you all $5 a pint to cover the insurance....... :eek:

My swap contribution will be in glass. I would encourage those considering using plastic to do their best to use glass instead - plastic sucks, and it may be a competition winner inside, but a plastic bottle screams "crappy cheap ass homebrew" as far as I'm concerned.
There are plenty of places you can score bottles whether be it new or used, make an effort people - this is what this swap is all about......isn't it?

No waiver necessary for me Smurto, I am quite happy to take complete responsibility for anything I do, stupid or otherwise :lol:

"It's not the kind of material the outside is made of, it's the contents of the package" is my motto, unless its an Aluminium can in which case :icon_vomit:

I'll be submitting in glass most likely, couldn't give a stuff either way as I pour it into glass!

Ok, so general consensus is to bring along some meat (or pseudo meat alternative for those that way inclined) and I'll supply the salad/bread and nibbles. Wayne is bringing a bbq or 2, RustyC is lending us his smoker. Play on.

I have 4 chooks so if i stop giving away the eggs i should be able to save enough - need twice as many as normal as they are bantams.

If anyone in the Barossa is willing to bring down some top notch local bacon rather than the standard supermarket fare i wont say no!

re brewing on the day. We could make a big dark beast (FES?) on my setup that would be ready for drinking at the next July swap....... Happy to volunteer one of my kegs to store/mature it until then. As long as the recipe and brewing is a group decision, and the mash stirring is done by a noob, better still, someone not yet an AG brewer. (good luck stirring a thick mash with my coopers spoon! maybe Wayne could bring up a mash weapon for the day.......)

60 days to go.....

I have obtained a batch worth of glass longnecks to use for the swap... I'm keeping my "crappy cheap ass homebrew" bottles for myself thankyou very much!

Is anyone keen on some dessert type food? I know it doesn't generally go that well with beer but it sounds like there will be plenty of meat (well chicken at least!), and my wife is always looking for an excuse to cook up some of her favourites...

...plastic sucks, and it may be a competition winner inside, but a plastic bottle screams "crappy cheap ass homebrew" as far as I'm concerned.

hehe, i turfed my plastic bottles for this very reason. i'm really not fussed if someone doesn't have any glass tho, i've got plenty of longnecks to survive on. (plus i used 2X stubbies last time so i can't really voice a protest :lol: )

The local lyndoch butcher does double smoked bacon - very nice and very expensive...

How much do i need to bring....

My beer will be in glass, that part I have decided. I have an untasted Wit in longnecks, Munich Dunkel lagering, and a German Pilsner fermenting at the moment. Was thinking about re-brewing anything summerish that placed in ANAWBS but the only beer that did ok was a Porter, bit too big and a bit too dark!

No thoughts on brewing on the day at the case swap?

I was thinking i might make a nice big stout that i could age in a keg for 5 months and then bottle as my contribution for the case swap in July next year.......

Basically a suped up version of the Stout that came 1st in ANAWBS.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 27.10 L
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 104.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 55.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU