2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt its because of wet weather. They've been left on the bine for too long.
Cheers
Steve

Yeah I had a few like this (more than a few actually) didn't realise it had gone that far, oh well.
Threw the bad ones out but still had many more. Next time I know to keep a closer eye on it.

Starting to get some good cones again this year but not as many as last year as I was not home to nurture the plant. Sorry for the phone pic.. :eek:
Photo_202.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photo, but just wondering if these little shoots at the base oft te leaves are the start of side shoots, or flowers, or nothing?

output.jpg

Given the information from those who have had their bines burned in bad weather and cut them back only to have new shoots sprout, I have given mine a major haircut :lol:

5 x 3m bines that I have harvested were axed yesterday. I read they only give one crop per season. There are 3 2m bines with immature hops still on that are close to harvest.

Given that I am growing these in brisbane I am crossing my fingers and praying it is possible to get two crops out of a plant in a year.

Anyone know if this will happen?

It is a cascade (ie columbus) first season. Harvest so far has yielded 140gms dried hops. ;)

In reply to marlow_coates and Browndog, Bindi and I both had three flowerings/crops last year on the Sunny Coast. My POR which I recently cut down in the middle of flowering and dug up to be replanted at the new address is now 2M tall and just beginning to flower again.

The transplanted Chinook was dug up by the neighbours dog a week ago and broken off at ground has now grown to 30cm :eek:

Great weeds these :lol:

Cheers mate, certainly reassure me for giving it the heavy trim.

Really looking forward to using some of these whole hops in the next brew. :)

just weighted my harvest, 4g dried :rolleyes: the funny thing is that the cutting i took produced more flowers than the root stock that i bought.
can't wait to be able to dig up the rhizome this june and start to swap. is anyone going to try and propergate by using the method of burring the bine shallow in the ground over winter and then digging them up and making cuttings from them? i think i might try it.

I only got 8 cones and threw them in an amber ale for the last 10min.
Dunno if they did anything really with such a small amount, but they had to go somewhere eh. :rolleyes:

Next year maybe

Harvested my Chinook and Hersbrucker tonight.
Dried them in the dehydrator in under two hours.
Have enough from a good late hop addition for some aroma.

Doc

is anyone going to try and propergate by using the method of burring the bine shallow in the ground over winter and then digging them up and making cuttings from them? i think i might try it.

Yeah I thought I would try this method too, just need to find a longer pot as mine aren't in the ground.

Some sort of US hop.. need to work out what it was I got of DJR.

03032009089.jpg
03032009090.jpg

dried and bagged.. it came in at 50grams...

it seemed like more. guess it'll make a APA out of it.

03032009091.jpg10032009095.jpg

I have on tap a very basic pale ale that I finished with 90G of dried chinook flowers I harvested, not grapefruity as I expected, but very tasty indeed.

cheers

Browndog

I did a small harvest of the larger cones on my Chinook. Was 30gms wet, 12gms dry. Wont go very far, but I have approx 4 time that still to harvest so maybe it can be thrown into my IIPA that I'm planning on!

Here's a few pics of my hops. not as good as some of the plantations on here.

hops01.JPG
Columbus, Pride of Ringwood, Chinook, Hersbrucker. Just about all of the growth on the fence is from the Chinook.

hops02.JPG
Chinook cones on the vine

hops07.JPG
First harvest. Hoping to get a bit more this season to make a decent late addition.

I have on tap a very basic pale ale that I finished with 90G of dried chinook flowers I harvested, not grapefruity as I expected, but very tasty indeed.

cheers

Browndog

Nice! I have a similar quantity of chinook flowers dried and in the freezer waiting patiently for an APA.

What recipe did you go to show off your hops?

I had 4 plants doing well and had lots of laterals coming off them, but 2 of them seem to have died right back, not really sure why, they looked as if they where getting dry, but they had enough water. Do they usuaully die of that quick? My Cascade is still going strong, but no signs of any cones. :(

Just harvested my Cascade(453gms wet) and Goldings(333gms wet). Cascade is the pile closest to you in the picture, goldings up by the golf clubs.

Quite happy give the terrible weather we had here in southern victoria! My tettnang was a dismal failure and failed to grow any more than it did last year. Cascade was first year in the ground at my place, was a reasonable size rhizome when I planted it!

I have POR and Chinook to come out of the nursery this year and into the ground, they should do fine.

Hops_Harvest_2009_008s.jpg

You guys are really pissin me off with those pics :icon_drool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back