2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a little gardening on Sunday, trimming the lower leaves off the hop plants and taking a few cuttings off my POR. Dipped in the root hormone powder and into a pot, watered, covered with a clear plastic lid to keep moisture in. Also topped up my large pots with some more topsoil and finished if off with some mulch - I really should have done this before the heatwave, not after.

We shall see how we go...

Also hoping a few side shoots from my Chinoook will be good for layering, need a little more growth yet before I try it. Some tips got burnt off in the last 2 weeks of our heatwave.

Hoping to have some pics up tonight.

Yep... I picked too early. I will wait longer for all future harvests.

Just dried my first lot of hops, there's still plenty left on the bines that weren't ready. I've got 75g so far, roughly the same left on the vine. Happy with the output considering it's the first year and they haven't been in ideal conditions!

freshhops.jpg

Well mine got knocked around by the hot weather but once that left it started going strong again. I have chinook, mount hood and POR all 1st year and all getting hop flowers.

KHB

I have 230 ish grams of dry Columbus and about 175 of dry Hersbruk. I think I will brew a witbier using the Hersbruker, possibly tomorrow.

when it died
Just dried my first lot of hops, there's still plenty left on the bines that weren't ready. I've got 75g so far, roughly the same left on the vine. Happy with the output considering it's the first year and they haven't been in ideal conditions!

View attachment 24721

I've got about the same off my first year Cascade, with more coming. My rhizome produced 4 bines which flowered at different times. One of them has just died off, and there were about 20 cones on laterals just starting to look good when it carked it. Have no idea what caused it The other three bines are fine???
Bob

when it died

I've got about the same off my first year Cascade, with more coming. My rhizome produced 4 bines which flowered at different times. One of them has just died off, and there were about 20 cones on laterals just starting to look good when it carked it. Have no idea what caused it The other three bines are fine???
Bob

I got a first year POR that has done well regarding I am growing it in a gigantic 40l pot.
Got the first few flowers of today because I thought they were quite dry and spongy (even though wet due to rain). Also fairly yellow at the base.
Can someone with more experience give me feedback towards that?

There are still at least 3 times as much on the vine and more flowers coming every day. Will probably get them in a few small batches.

I plan to dry them in the oven - heat a little bit to get it dry and warm inside and put them in on a mesh.
What are you guys doing to dry them?

firstfew.JPG

closeup.JPG

ive got an oust that was built for me. it uses a floor heater. ill get some pics next time its set up.

Have a few cones forming on my Chinook but they are so small, like pea size.
Have fertilised, and kept water up to it.

Next year I hope to harvest something :icon_cheers:

I plan to dry them in the oven - heat a little bit to get it dry and warm inside and put them in on a mesh.
What are you guys doing to dry them?

I dried mine on some flyscreens off the windows, they are about 400 x 900 mm, and I raised them off the floor with some empty plastic tubs and had a fan on for 6 days, which was when they felt dry enough.

I think that the oven, or any fast tracking method will be detrimental to the aroma.

I am going to add some in a few mins to see how they go.

Thats what I thought.
So I have probably 35C in the oven and just the fan on. Still too hot?

Looks good.
Wish I had that amount at one time.

But if I have a chance I will send a picture of my POR. That pot its in is tiny - looks like my lunchbox ;)

the hotter the temp the shorter the time.
for mine with out the heater its a day or so and thats just on the racks. with the heater its a matter of hours.

the hotter the temp the shorter the time.
for mine with out the heater its a day or so and thats just on the racks. with the heater its a matter of hours.

I hate you for having so many , but, man, drying them under your bed is getting a bit weird :)

I think thats ok.
As long as he does not start to fill his pillows with it but keeps making good beers with it, everything is just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back