2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on using it in a simple APA with a clean bittering hop but was wondering what AA people estimate homegrown chinook as. A 20 min flavour addition of something that is normally relatively high in AA makes a decent IBU contribution. Was planning on setting it as 10%.
hmmm, if you have some hops flowers of known AA, pop one in the mouth and start chewing whilst counting backwards from say 20. spit when you have to and adjust your starting point so you spit at the right AA % - mouth calibrated - test your hops!

hmmm, if you have some hops flowers of known AA, pop one in the mouth and start chewing whilst counting backwards from say 20. spit when you have to and adjust your starting point so you spit at the right AA % - mouth calibrated - test your hops!

Think I'll pass on that Mike!

I love sniffing hops but draw the line on chewing them. You only do that once.....

No... only some do that once Doc :lol:

i've done it numerous times, once was suckered into doing it, the rest, me suckering others. "looks it fine to chew see!" *grimmace* "oh ok" *munch munch* 'mwuahahahaha'

i've done it numerous times, once was suckered into doing it, the rest, me suckering others. "looks it fine to chew see!" *grimmace* "oh ok" *munch munch* 'mwuahahahaha'

... and then there are those who do it more than once...

I get visitation rights to my hop plants this weekend, apparently the first lot of cones are maturing on all but my goldings, but that doesn't matter because the fact that it is alive if freaking awesome.

Hi guys I don't suppose you would have any contacts here in WA with regards to getting hop rhizomes?
PS DR Gonzo good to see that all of your horticultural efforts go to the hop vines- by the look of your lawn anyway. Well done.

Thanks

There is a guy called Rupert in Albany sells them on Ebay when the time is right I highly recommend him. The rhizomes I got of him have about 1000 flowers on them and there in the first year
He trades under hopswest on Ebay you can set up a alert to email you when he starts selling them.
If you want to drive to Bibra Lake you are welcome to take some cuttings of my plants

Kenny

Am ready to weep.

Got home from NSW yesterday and the weather of the previous week in Vic has played havoc. Might have lost a goldings and columbus despite having a relative water them every night. Think I'm gonna need a shade cloth, some mulch, some serious watering and even then I still may not be able to save the rhizomes to live for another season. The vines which were in good health when I left have now withered away on all but one. Even the gumtrees in our yard got sun-struck and lost leaves. This is crazy weather.

Only my Hersbrucker is doing well which is in partial shade, but doubt I'm going to get much of a harvest with temps in melbourne see-sawing from 45-32 degrees ( :blink: )

Will have to live vicariously through you guys - so when you get some hot shots of your hops, post away!

Hopper.

quick question, if i were to trim and propagate hops clippings right now, would the build up enough of a rhizome to kick up again after winter?

quick question, if i were to trim and propagate hops clippings right now, would the build up enough of a rhizome to kick up again after winter?

Thats what usually happens. Propagate in a glass of water until you have plenty of roots, stick them in a pot, they will die off over winter and hopefully come back year after year bigger and better. Then transplant them into the ground.
Cheers
Steve

I think there is a very good chance that the rhizomes will have survived and will shoot again. Rhizomes usually have a few dormant/developing buds ready to shoot if required. The likelihood of this is reduced if you have young/small plants but give it a chance and you might be surprised.

Am ready to weep.

Got home from NSW yesterday and the weather of the previous week in Vic has played havoc. Might have lost a goldings and columbus despite having a relative water them every night. Think I'm gonna need a shade cloth, some mulch, some serious watering and even then I still may not be able to save the rhizomes to live for another season. The vines which were in good health when I left have now withered away on all but one. Even the gumtrees in our yard got sun-struck and lost leaves. This is crazy weather.

Only my Hersbrucker is doing well which is in partial shade, but doubt I'm going to get much of a harvest with temps in melbourne see-sawing from 45-32 degrees ( :blink: )

Will have to live vicariously through you guys - so when you get some hot shots of your hops, post away!

Hopper.

Agree with Lochy.

Its been significantly hotter for longer here in SA than in Victoria and my hops are ok.

The chinook has a new shoot as off yesterday!

Hops are like blackberries - once you have them you have them for life. Weeds!

Thanks guys.

All my rhizomes are first plantings so will see how we go. One of my Goldings has a new sprout after die-off which has appeared to have happened sometime last week, so Loch I think you're right. The other Goldings is not looking so good, but I will keep watering on the hot days to keep any new shoots coming. Strangely enough the Hersbrucker that's thriving I actually bought from Loch, so mate many thanks, your stuff is the goods.

We had a record breaker in Melbourne last week Dr Smurto - third hottest on record (Article on crazy weather).

Have you had temps that have gone above 45 degrees? Holy smokes!

Hopper.

48 here the other day, max hasn't been under 40 since before australia day.
things looking up, whole plant under shadecloth now.

Noticed you were having hot weather too over in mexico. Funny watching your public transport system shut down this time every year. Who would have thought it would be hot in summer?

Havent needed to resort to shade-cloth altho due to a few massive willow trees they are shaded till ~noon each day and then cop the afternoon sun.

This hot weather has fired up the chinook which after harvesting 20g of dry cones now has 10times as many small cones appearing. The new shoot is growing 10 cm a day.

Watering your hops in the evening is better for them as it gives them time to soak it up and be ready for the hot day.

for anyone who has lost hops due to hot weather cut them right back and keep watering then and they should come good again. all three of mine have sprung back to life nicely.

Noticed you were having hot weather too over in mexico. Funny watching your public transport system shut down this time every year. Who would have thought it would be hot in summer?

About as funny as your electricity supply!

I am not yet growing hops, but here in queensland we always have very intense sun (apart from this summer). Up here no-one can grow anything without shadecloth over summer (plants in general just die). 25% shadecloth is most common, 50% may be more suited to down south (only used on these 40+ days). I would put it up if you expect intense sunlight and take it down when the sunspots die down.

I relation to bringing plants back to life - years ago, I grew a relative of the hops family (hydroponically), and was able to manipulate the growth - by adding specific fertilisers and 'superthrive' (plant hormone), and changing the light, and adjusting the length that the light was on for.

After the initial crop, I cut back the plant to almost bare, (basically what a lot of you guys have after the heat wave), then I would give it high nitrogen fertilisers (hydroponic grow) mixed with superthrive, and it would spring back into life like crazy. When enough growth had grown, I would replace the fertilisers with hydroponic bloom mixed with superthrive (admitedly in conjunction with changing the light to a bloom light (more red) and reducing the length of the time the light was on for) and it grew flowers like crazy!

Using this method I grew chillies that burnt my ears! no joke!

I would reccommend to anyone that wants to try to revive a seemingly dead hops plant to go to a hydroponic store and get a small bottle of 'superthrive' (about $12 for 100ml), mix it as per the label with a high nitrogen liquid or crystal fertiliser (hydroponic fertilisers do work great in soil (thats what the chillies were grown in)). Water twice daily, and even spray the leaves with the solution, and in 1 to 2 weeks, I can almost guarantee they will come back to life. That superthrive is mad!

The secret ingredient is "superthrive". (It is a foul smelling brown liquid that is very expensive).

This is my first year growing hops and am quite impressed with my Chinook. Cascade not going as well. I have read over and over about harvesting in Autumn, then cutting back, covering etc etc and getting stronger healthier plants next season.

SWMBO suggested next year growing a plant over our back deck the same as our grape vine.

This would mean NOT cutting back the bines after harvest, so as to have better coverage each following year (again, the same as ornamental grapevines)

So,
Does anyone do this?
Is it viable?
Does it affect crop yield?
Any other comments?

If it is a goer, I will remove the grapevines and replant a hop plant.

regards,
mckenry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back