2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was not home for winter & spring this hop grew a bit wild this year.
Still looks like I might get a few cones but
If I did not have a water tank for the garden I think it would be the same colour as my lawn....
cluster.jpg

crikes lukes thats huge!

what way does that plant face? north, south, east,west?

View attachment 23881
Andy, is it just the angle of the shot? those look like male flowers.

Screwy

I am wondering this too! I have a pride of Boston and it has those very similar "flowers". They have looked like that for weeks now and don't seem to be getting any bigger. If anything, the "hairs" have turned brownish.

I dont recall this type of growth from a hop plant I had a couple of years ago. I think it had small "cones" right from the start.

cheers

Darren

I am wondering this too! I have a pride of Boston and it has those very similar "flowers". They have looked like that for weeks now and don't seem to be getting any bigger. If anything, the "hairs" have turned brownish.

I dont recall this type of growth from a hop plant I had a couple of years ago. I think it had small "cones" right from the start.

cheers

Darren

Darren,

I was just at Andys, and noticed his have dried too but in place there is cones starting to form

Hold in there. There coming!!

Lucky fellas, so far my 1st yr POR, Mount Hood and Chinook show no hope of flowers and are all suffering from the heat. Bring on next year!!

Cheers KHB

edit:spelling mistoke

Question: If I harvest one of my bines, will it grow any more this season?
If not should I cut that bine off so that plant can put energy into more bines?

I have harvested 2 bines and have 5 more (all from the same plant).

Cheers for any advice. Can't wait for next year to upgrade the set up :icon_cheers:

Cheers for any advice. Can't wait for next year to upgrade the set up :icon_cheers:
I started with 4 bines, 2 of which were strong growers. I harvested them about a month ago and am about to harvest the other two. Have offshoots growing from the last two bines which are developing cones as well. I was thinking of cutting the whole thing back, but have decided to hold off and see what else happens. This is a first year cascade in Brisbane area. Fortunately we haven't hit the forties up here yet.

yea troy lost all his too. jujst keep watering them mate, forget about the top and make sure those new roots get water still....dont give up on em.

Yep, just got home and found the heat has beat'n tha cr@p outta mine. Water water water, hit 39 in the shade here where i am in tassie, heres to the best hop growing state, my first year and getting smashed by the sun god. Is there no mersy... ahhhhh. Cutting that i've kept in the shade are holing tight so far.

No to mension that i left my Aussie PA this morn at 22 deg as it had finished fermenting yesterday, and come home to 30deg in the fermenter....ahhhhhh straigh in the ken and into the beer fridge my lil friend..

Mine are doing well...Hersbrucker, Cascade, POR, Chinook all in bud.. EKG is gone nuts...buds everywhere..likes my salty air IMHO ( I live close to a beach). Just pumping the water into them as much as I can... A feed of Potash every couple of weeks is bring the buds along nicely and keeping the plants from stressing from the heat..
A SNPA clone is on the cards for the Cascade flowers...lol

She didnt mind :icon_drool2:
lol, how quickly threads go downhill...

i've been pumping water onto my hops relentlessly, pride of boston is doing well as is the cascade, if they haven't shown any flowers yet, does that mean i'll have to wait till next year to try them tho, or is there still a chance?

I had to re-string two bines on one of my Chinooks a couple of weeks back. The weight snapped the string.

Anyway, lots of almost golf ball sized cones on my bines now. One plant appears to have smaller multi-cone clusters.
Just starting to develop some aroma.
Oh, and I have some layered shoots starting to take off on their own too. Photos soon.

Happy enough for a first season. I water deep once or twice a week, with about 20litres of water each, followed by 10 litres each of flowering hydroponic nutrient. They look a little pale today, so I gave them another feed of 20 litres nutrient solution each.

Remember, if you water often, the roots don't go looking for water and stay shallow. Then they are prone to heat damage and drying out.

Les Chinook

crikes lukes thats huge!

what way does that plant face? north, south, east,west?

Fents,
it's facing east and gets full sun all day.
Quite well established too.

One of my ornamental tassie hal's suffered over the last few days.
:(
Luke

My POR were doing well until the heat started this week in Adelaide.

I've lost quite a few leaves to the heat and the flowers are starting to brown/burn.

Not sure if I'll manage to harvest much this year.

Are other Adelaide hop growers experiencing the same?

Wally

good watering every evening, and some choir will stop them drying out.

Can't remember if it was last season or the one before, where I lived not far from Bindi, we both had three flowerings from our hop plants. They're tough as nails, transplanted my POR about 6 weeks ago it died off and now has new healthy shoots about a foot high. Chinook has just finished flowering at the previous place so next week it will be lopped off and dug up and transplanted 100K away like the POR.

Screwy

nah - dont cut it back yet - wait till autumn when it naturally starts to die off, it may produce more in the meantime. You never know.
Cheers
Steve

Finally some action..All first year but may actually get a decent amount from the Goldings and the Hersbruker.

100_3042.jpg
Golding Rhizome

100_3201.JPG
Goldings (~4 months later)

100_3202.JPG
Hersbruker and Goldings

100_3205.JPG
Tetnenger Flower.

Hallertau, Cascade and Perl all grown to around 4.5m but not many side arms, Columbus bearly 1ft high but was a pretty small sick rhizome when i got it. looking forward to next years season.

This heat the last few days has knocked some of the leaves around. Fingers crossed. Good luck fellow growers.

That rhizome looks like some monster from the deep. Nice set up you have there fella. Hopefully it'll give the pot plant hop growers an idea of how big they grow and how much space they need.
Cheers
Steve

My 2nd year Hersbrucker & Tardif de bourgogne were going along beautifully in the mild December weather until the first 40C'+ day hit 2 weeks back.

Both had 4 bines each and spread out horizontally and vertically to about 3m high.

The Hersbrucker has been loaded with cones many nearly ready just before the first hot day and then all the leaves shrivelled and died, I managed to salvage about 300g (dried) and now this week its been totally hammered.

The Tardif de bourgogne doesn't seem to flower very much and though first out of the ground this season and lots of bine growth it lost everything in the heat.

Anyone had any success with Tardif de bourgogne?

It would seem that at least here in Adelaide if you don't have a means of shading hops on hot days your doomed for heart break.

Came to the the same conclusion about tomatoes years back, despite recommendations of "full sun"

Cheers,
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back