2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea!

Chinook
100_5451.JPG

100_5453.JPG

100_5456.JPG

Cluster, the bottom is getting quite bushy, but its approx 3m tall so far (no flowers yet)
100_5457.JPG

ok the main bines put out bines going sideways called laterals. on these laterals form the cones from little burrs that form under the leaf shoots.
does this make sense or am i speaking in a different language.

Yep makes sense. With this in mind I would almost certainly say I have flowers developing.

BYB

Got home this evening to find that one of my POR plants has just about given up in the 42C heat here in Adelaide today. :(

The largest bine (about 1.5m up then another 1.2m across) has gone from green and leafy last night to dried and shrivelled this evening. The other two bines are shrivelled a bit toward the end but nowhere near as bad. The other two plants seem to have held up a bit better however.

My POR seems to be giving up the last few days. just cant take it, its shrivaling up.

the chinook is doing ok though.

does everyone have their hops climbing up string or something similar? i dont have anything for it to climb up really so the bines just flop around on the ground :-S

Moving house, dug up my POR rhizome 4 weeks ago, cut the bines back to about a metre and wrapped it in wet newspaper, carried it in the hot car for an hour. Planted it at the new place and it died off, thought I'd lost it but yesterday noticed a new bine about 50mm long emerging from the ground about 100mm from where I planted the rhizome. Looks healthy, decided on moving the POR first as a trial. Will now transplant the others, some are just about finished flowering, a Wurty growing in a pot seems to be doing much better at the new place too, maybe it likes the new position.

One of my smoothcone plants stopped growing, it was getting all day sun I watered it twice a day, but since I moved it into a different spot, where it gets only the morning sun its started growing way faster B) So im guessing they dont like all day sun that much?

all 3 of my hops had stopped. no more growth and were shrivilling bad. cut them all back last night and noticed heaps more bines coming up. put some frsh soil and lucurine around them and a good water and i reckon they will come back twice as strong. may even get some hops. its like this growing season is just two months out of wack.

Got home this evening to find that one of my POR plants has just about given up in the 42C heat here in Adelaide today. :(

The largest bine (about 1.5m up then another 1.2m across) has gone from green and leafy last night to dried and shrivelled this evening. The other two bines are shrivelled a bit toward the end but nowhere near as bad. The other two plants seem to have held up a bit better however.

Well I am happy to say that my POR from the case swap survived yesterday. Not expecting to much from it this season. But as posted earlier my Mt Hood which was kindly donated by GMK who incidently hasnt got a very green thumb, is into full flower production.

POR.JPG

Mt_Hood.JPG

My POR seems to be giving up the last few days. just cant take it, its shrivaling up.

the chinook is doing ok though.

does everyone have their hops climbing up string or something similar? i dont have anything for it to climb up really so the bines just flop around on the ground :-S
I have mine climbing strings, but recently had to replace a string as about 4.5m of bine fell down, due to a string breakage (weight collapse).

I hope to post some pics later. My 2 Chinooks have commenced flowering, as well.

all 3 of my hops had stopped. no more growth and were shrivilling bad. cut them all back last night and noticed heaps more bines coming up. put some frsh soil and lucurine around them and a good water and i reckon they will come back twice as strong. may even get some hops. its like this growing season is just two months out of wack.

Have had exactly the same thing happen. Two Goldings and a Columbus got massacred in the heat yesterday and appeared to have dried up and almost died off. Only the hops in semi shade are still making it (hallertau & hersbrucker). Might have to follow your lead Fents and cut back my shrivellers and re-soil. They're dry almost to brown in the space of a day and a half. This weather down south is nuts.

Darn annoying. They were going so well too. :angry:

Hopper.

Well I am happy to say that my POR from the case swap survived yesterday. Not expecting to much from it this season. But as posted earlier my Mt Hood which was kindly donated by GMK who incidently hasnt got a very green thumb, is into full flower production.

AndysHops.jpg
Andy, is it just the angle of the shot? those look like male flowers.

Screwy

View attachment 23881
Andy, is it just the angle of the shot? those look like male flowers.

Screwy

that would suck hardcore if it were...

mine are looking quite awesome, they survived yesterdays 42C cooking, but i have been pumping water on them nearly daily to get them through the heat.
the cascade is ridiculously bushy as it's been through about 20 bines by now. the vienna gold (whatever that hop is) is slow on the uptake... POR is kicking off nicely, yet to see anything from the chinook though :(

enjoy my awesome photoshopping skillz :p
med_gallery_4944_414_400080.jpg

med_gallery_4944_414_501889.jpg

Look the same as how mine start out then get bigger.

Mike - am trying to grow more cuttings of chinook but this weather is killing them very quickly. If i get 1 to take i'll keep it aside for you.

awesome, you're a champ :D - if ever you need any yeast... :p

Look the same as how mine start out then get bigger.

Mike - am trying to grow more cuttings of chinook but this weather is killing them very quickly. If i get 1 to take i'll keep it aside for you.

The chinnok i got from you is 3mtr all already!!

The chinnok i got from you is 3mtr all already!!

I cant take credit for that entirely - Boston did the cutting for me, i just watered the bugger for a few weeks!

Shows too cos since then i haven't been able to successfully keep any cutting alive!

Ben - you got the pick of the crop. Gave some to raven too so i hope they have survived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back