2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so here are the pics I mentioned earlier.
Taken after dark 2 nights ago, I have increased contrast to make the images viewable.

Trellis, anyone?
Hopz1.jpg
This one snapped the string, had to be re-suspended with raffia twine (IIRC), and has exceeded the height of the top screw-eye.
hopz2.jpg

hopz3.jpg

Not bad for first year hop, eh?
Flower pics, soon.
Les out :p

Better than your spelling skills :D .
Chinnok is a Helicopter
Chinook is a Hop :p

Um, I really hate guys that do this but I can't help myself. Chinook is the correct spelling for both the hop and the helicopter and I think you will find they are both named after a wind that blows in the US. I have hover martialled a Chinook helicopter and can testify for the fact that the down wash from the twin rotors is f...king windy!

As far as I know Chinnok is the correct spelling for well,... nothing

I planted the POR cutting from Boston abotu 3 or 4 months ago when we moved into a new house, I've watered it religiously, well not once on sundays but more like about every 2 hours whenever I'm awake (good thing I have good draining soil) and feeding her about every week with fish emulsion, seaweed stuff and some occasional blood and bone etc.
Until Xmas I was trimming out all but the apical meristem of each of the 3 bines (letting only the main tip go unpruned), but while I was away she was unpruned (while a friend watered her and took payment by emptying a keg of visitor beer). Some of them got rather large in my absence and ofcourse I let them keep going, and to my surprise they started producing fuzzy little buds! I wasn't expecting much flower wise in the first year so I've very happy, looks like there might be hundreds of them.
The growth has exceeded my expectations and therefore my lame plans to run the bines along lateral lines.
If I'd known she'd do this well I'd have put a rope and pulley up on the huge TV tower in the back yard and let her go up there.

Here are some pics, this is my first time growing a vegie garden, and having a hop plant to look after makes sure I don't forget all the other plants each day either.
(not to mention the fun of cooking up a pasta with all fresh gear from the garden, spring onion, tomatos, beets, eggplant, herbs etc)

there are 3 bines going up to about 5 foot high, I put the plant in the sunniest postiion in the garden, but now am faced with the prospect of training the bines away from the sun, when all they want to do is go straight up towards that TV tower...
vicky_ny09.jpg

here are the bines running across the top of the picture from right to left, shading the tomato plants a bit.
runners.jpg

and here is the head gardener and his assisttant, ready on hand for whenever I need a hole dug or birds chased away.
dogman.jpg
lady.jpg

What happens to hops at the end of the season?

Do just the leaves die off but the vine is still okay? Or does the vine die and rot too and you have to cut it right back to the root and then re-run it next year?

Just wondering because if you have to do it every year there's probably no point doing anything more permanent.

OK, so here are the pics I mentioned earlier.
Taken after dark 2 nights ago, I have increased contrast to make the images viewable.

Trellis, anyone?
View attachment 23911
This one snapped the string, had to be re-suspended with raffia twine (IIRC), and has exceeded the height of the top screw-eye.
View attachment 23912

View attachment 23913

Not bad for first year hop, eh?
Flower pics, soon.
Les out :p

Great idea Les, never thought of planting em on the footpath and training em up a power pole :lol:

Screwy

Great idea Les, never thought of planting em on the footpath and training em up a power pole :lol:

Screwy
This is a power pole on my private property, which I had to pay for outright. So it's mine, to do with , as I please.

how tall is that pole les ??

Barra, how tall is a power pole? Prob about 10 metres total height...

Cheers
Les

do any of you chaps know how many flowers it takes to produce say 100grams of dried hop flowers?
I wasn't prepared for a yield this first year, but if all the fuzzy buds turn into hops I'll be very happy, quick estimate today there'd be 4-500 of these buds!
:eek:
Wondering how much it would amount to...

Help me please hop growers.

I harvested 2 of my 7 vines yesterday as the hops on these had turned papery, dry and smelled fantastic.

Rigged up a fly mesh dryer and have had them on there since yesterday.

Today though the hops are covered in little holes and I found:

an Aphid (white little space ship shaped bug)
an earwig (identified off another website)
and several small caterpillars

What can I do?
The hops look half eaten and there are black spots on the underside of the leaves.

Are they ruined?
What can I spray the with?
If they are on these hops I assume they are on the others on the rest of the plant. What can I spray it with?

If the cones have produced lots of yellow crystals at the base of the petals then they mustn't be getting knocked around too much by the bugs.

Once you dry the cones the aphids and earwigs will leave.

If not, think of them as protein.

I'd resist spraying them with anything if damage isnt too bad (it cant be too bad if you have just noticed it). Remember that you will be consuming the cones and any residual spray will be in your beer.

My Chinook is getting along well now after I thought it had died. It suddenly came to life and I am now trailing it along a rope. The pic is a bit hard to make out as it is growing amongst the grape vines
When would I expect to get flowers in Vic??

DSC02098_800.jpg

My Chinook is getting along well now after I thought it had died. It suddenly came to life and I am now trailing it along a rope. The pic is a bit hard to make out as it is growing amongst the grape vines
When would I expect to get flowers in Vic??

View attachment 24197
Event harder to make out against that avatar :)

I took some cuttings from a roadside plant in the Derwent Valley about 3 weeks ago, and they have started to shoot, so I have at least three viable plants, two of which I am willing to give away when the time comes.

Million dollar question is what variety are they? The area they came from is mostly, if not exclusively, POR, but these were growing feral over the fence into the road reserve.

For the legal Nancy boys: I did not trespass the cuttings were taken from the road reserve, I didn't even reach through a fence.

Help me please hop growers.

I harvested 2 of my 7 vines yesterday as the hops on these had turned papery, dry and smelled fantastic.

Rigged up a fly mesh dryer and have had them on there since yesterday.

Today though the hops are covered in little holes and I found:

an Aphid (white little space ship shaped bug)
an earwig (identified off another website)
and several small caterpillars

and a partridge in a pear tree :D

Seriously though if this bloody hot weather continues all I am going to have left is naked bines because all the leaves would have been burnt off :angry: I have a nice small first year crop of Mt Hood flowers ATM

BYB

all 3 of my hops had stopped. no more growth and were shrivilling bad. cut them all back last night and noticed heaps more bines coming up. put some frsh soil and lucurine around them and a good water and i reckon they will come back twice as strong. may even get some hops. its like this growing season is just two months out of wack.

just an update to the above. cut them all back and they have gone nuts again. shoots everywhere. watering them really late at night over this hot spell and they seem to be holding up ace. Late vegie season, late hop season hopefully.

just an update to the above. cut them all back and they have gone nuts again. shoots everywhere. watering them really late at night over this hot spell and they seem to be holding up ace. Late vegie season, late hop season hopefully.

All my first year hops and cuttings have got reamed the past 2 days :(. Even with plenty of water each night they've just been getting scorched. The second year goldings doesn't seem to have minded the heat.
The worst thing is the 3 young-uns(from cuttings) got scorched really badly, no healthy leaves left at all. Fingers crossed huh!

Q

A couple of weeks ago one of my POR plants all but gave up. Cut it back a fair bit - one bine gone completely and all but one reasonable leaf cut off. It came back and has some reasonable growth, but it starting to shrivel up again in the current heatwave here in Adelaide. Will probably do the same again once the heat subsides as the main focus this year is on building up the root mass as mine are all first year plants.

All my first year hops and cuttings have got reamed the past 2 days :(. Even with plenty of water each night they've just been getting scorched. The second year goldings doesn't seem to have minded the heat.
The worst thing is the 3 young-uns(from cuttings) got scorched really badly, no healthy leaves left at all. Fingers crossed huh!

Q

yea troy lost all his too. jujst keep watering them mate, forget about the top and make sure those new roots get water still....dont give up on em.

yea troy lost all his too. jujst keep watering them mate, forget about the top and make sure those new roots get water still....dont give up on em.

Ive got the same issue with mine, my cluster at my parents and one of the chinook at mine have copped it badly from the heat. Lost around 1m of bines, allshrivled and dried out due to the scorching heat we have had in melbourne.

i removed all of the dry matter this monring, will see how shes going tonight when i get home and give her a water. interesting that my 2nd chinook, which looked the weakest of them all, has cones forming and is holding up great during this heatwave. maybe because its on a east facing wall and the others on a north facing?? either way shes going great guns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back