2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My POR (thanks Johnno) planted last season in a large pot have started to sprout for this growing season.

As this will be the second season I'm hoping for a good crop this year.

Last year I got great vine growth, but a spate of hot weather while we were away burnt it off. Though it regrew viorously, it didn't produce anything at all.

There seems to be about 9 or 10 distinct growth points which I find very encouraging and have started to give it a bit of a feed every few days to encourage it.

Lets hope this is a bumper season, Cheerz Wab

hops0908.jpg

wabs i got mine in exactly the same pots....may i ask what you are going to grow them up? i tried that plastic sort of square chook wire (plastic tho) they sell at bunnigs on the fence last year and they just couldnt find their way up it. Tried some string after that and they grew up that but alas it was too laste. Looking for some inspiration as to what i could use.....

Fents
go to bunnings or a garden shop and you can buy plastic poles to different lengths you can grow them up. I have a three in pots and thats what i used last year.

just stick the poles in the edge of the pot like a teepee? sort of like those tomato climb cages ive seen? or am i way off the mark?

one of mine popped up today, only planted it on the weekend!

wabs i got mine in exactly the same pots....may i ask what you are going to grow them up? i tried that plastic sort of square chook wire (plastic tho) they sell at bunnigs on the fence last year and they just couldnt find their way up it. Tried some string after that and they grew up that but alas it was too laste. Looking for some inspiration as to what i could use.....

Fents my setup is a bit unusual but it works. Notice in the pot there is a tent peg? I string fishing line from it to the archway to the right then over to the tree to the left, and the vine runs up the fishing line no worries. I can then train various vines in different directions - a bit higgly piggly but it works. It's a bit of a custom setup for my backyard, the hops are in a place where from here on they get sun from early morning to late afternoon. Cheerz Wab

yard0908_014.jpg

just stick the poles in the edge of the pot like a teepee? sort of like those tomato climb cages ive seen? or am i way off the mark?

fentscan you run strings /wires across the length of your back yard and run the vines side ways rather than up wards , either that or go up the back fence then a wire/string anchored up to the eaves of the house , just a couple of ideas having been in your backyard , cant remember however if a cloths line is out there or not(could make the across the back plan a no goer)

I'm trying to get a bit of advice here. I'm a first season hop grower, have a cascade sprouting three shoots, have heard that in the first year should knock off the first two and let the third go for it. What do you, as an experienced grower, advise,

I heard the same thing about cutting off the first few shoots and then subsequent ones will grow stronger. But there's a bit of conflicting advice and seems some people don't bother.

The other thing is how many vines should be let grow, is it matter of personal preference or does letting them all run wild lead to decreased yield or something?

Anyone care to elaborate on this?

I just use 1 pole in each pot, I think they are around 6 foot, they climb the pole easily as they have little ridges on them and then like others have said above just run some wire or string to somewhere else in the back yard.
i will try and find a pic for you.

My tettnang is just starting to push through this week.

tettang.jpg

I doubt I'll get a decent harvest (if any) this season but hopping the follow year will produce a yield.

fentscan you run strings /wires across the length of your back yard and run the vines side ways rather than up wards , either that or go up the back fence then a wire/string anchored up to the eaves of the house , just a couple of ideas having been in your backyard , cant remember however if a cloths line is out there or not(could make the across the back plan a no goer)

well over the side of the house we were "partying" on nothing grows cause of that tree in the school that blocks the sun. so there in pots over the other side of the house near the clothsline. just brought 6 of those 6ft poles and will steak them in the pot then run fishing wire up to the eves i think. i never thought of the fishing line, top idea.

bout time to party again in a sober fashion and sacrifice that tree i thinks , if its now stopping a hop plantation its gotta go , let alone filling your gutters

had a look this moroning and i dont have eves! arghhh dodgy tightass builders.

gotta be somethin up there you can hook a few lines to though doesnt there ?

My POR (thanks Johnno) planted last season in a large pot have started to sprout for this growing season.

As this will be the second season I'm hoping for a good crop this year.

Last year I got great vine growth, but a spate of hot weather while we were away burnt it off. Though it regrew viorously, it didn't produce anything at all.

There seems to be about 9 or 10 distinct growth points which I find very encouraging and have started to give it a bit of a feed every few days to encourage it.

Lets hope this is a bumper season, Cheerz Wab

Good to see they have made it and live on wabster.

Unfortunately the mama they came from seems to have dies after extreme neglect last season. My bad.

I've had a look here and there but it doe not look like it made it.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=17689

Good to see they have made it and live on wabster.

Unfortunately the mama they came from seems to have dies after extreme neglect last season. My bad.

I've had a look here and there but it doe not look like it made it.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=17689

Jeez Johnno if they grow like that in the ground I think I'll plant them out next season, bugger the pot. I've kinda told MsWab that that particular corner of the garden is mine so it might get filled with rampant hops hopefully.

This season I'll hope for a good growing season and a reasonable output and go for broke next season. And BTW if you want a baby back, just let me know, I'm sure during the dormant season I can get a bit of rhizome off and send it your way :) Cheerz Wab

HELP

I have mould growing over the dirt on my hops. I put a handfull of dynamic lifter and watered it in the other day and i had mould all over it a couple of days later, i scraped it all off and haven't watered it since. Is everything gonna be ok?

i dont know about hops but with most plants if you cover the base with too much mulch it can go mouldy and rot the plant. i'd make sure the base has a nice clearing of well drained soil around it, not mulch or anything and check it in a few days. also try not to over water them, the more you give them water the more they rely on it for growing. everyting in moderation.

i dont know about hops but with most plants if you cover the base with too much mulch it can go mouldy and rot the plant.

still use mulch but keep it away from the base of the plant mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back