2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was starting to get a bit nervous with all you blokes declaring "they're off and running" but hey, today my Cascade and Chinook are both showing signs of life.

I'd like to try growing hops in hydroponics some time. I bet they'd grow like crazy. Faster, bigger, etc. Deep water culture buckets would be a good option.

Down here in Tas...my PORs have surfaced....come on the rest

I'd like to try growing hops in hydroponics some time. I bet they'd grow like crazy. Faster, bigger, etc. Deep water culture buckets would be a good option.

the 'special' hops of the smokin variety seem to grow quite well hydroponically trev so theres no reason it wouldnt work i guess

Considering how far up a hop vine can grow you're hanging that hydro lamp darn high! :D

Hopper.

It's a valid point, and they're in the same family. I think Hops would grow massively strong root structures in DWC. I wouldn't be surprised if you could take in larger crops in confined spaces as well (like my balcony). You can also use organic hydroponics nutrients now, for those that would rather avoid chemical fertilizers.

Just need a PH meter, TDS meter, fishtank air-pumps, and some buckets to get started :)

Nah, no need for lamps in QLD. People only do hydroponics indoors when they're growing illegal plants, or really exotic ones. The sun would work just fine.

Considering how far up a hop vine can grow you're hanging that hydro lamp darn high! :D

Hopper.
dont have to grow them high can grow them sideways cant ya ?? ive seen a dope plant that was only about 2 foot tall but about 12 foot wide

Ah, gotcha. Apologies, no hydro expert - thought it was about the lamps, but obviously more to it.

Have heard about this 'soil-less' hydro thing with water and feed pumped through the root system. All very interesting. Might just work. You'd could have yourself some serious juiced up hop cones! Big fat ones!

Hopper.

dont have to grow them high can grow them sideways cant ya ?? ive seen a dope plant that was only about 2 foot tall but about 12 foot wide

Whoah! A dope hedge! Who'd have thought it possible? :lol:

Hopper.

Hydroponics are very simple, just like seeing someone actually do AG for the first time.... but way more basic than that.

- Take a bucket/large plastic pot with lid and cover the whole thing in aluminium tape to keep out any light
- Find a small mesh basket or similar, fill it with clay pellets
- Drill a hole in the bucket lid to fit the mesh basket securely
- Place an airstone and plastic tubing going from the bottom of bucket to a fishtank air-pump
- Fill with water, and a pre-determined ratio of nutrients. Make the PH corrections. You'd use a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter, and PH meter here to make everything easy.
- Place small plant/rhizomes in the mesh bucket with the clay pellets, which is now part submerged in bubbling liquid
- Check the PH and nutrients every couple of days
- BIG PLANTS

Just a very brief rundown :)

Hydroponics are very simple, just like seeing someone actually do AG for the first time.... but way more basic than that.

- Take a bucket/large plastic pot with lid and cover the whole thing in aluminium tape to keep out any light
- Find a small mesh basket or similar, fill it with clay pellets
- Drill a hole in the bucket lid to fit the mesh basket securely
- Place an airstone and plastic tubing going from the bottom of bucket to a fishtank air-pump
- Fill with water, and a pre-determined ratio of nutrients. Make the PH corrections. You'd use a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter, and PH meter here to make everything easy.
- Place small plant/rhizomes in the mesh bucket with the clay pellets, which is now part submerged in bubbling liquid
- Check the PH and nutrients every couple of days
- BIG PLANTS

Just a very brief rundown :)

Gotcha. So the key is keeping the light out, but hops grow big, so I guess you've gotta train them from side to side or find a big locker, light-proof bag/tarp or cupboard huh?

I like the big plants bit. I wonder if anyone has actually tried this with hops. With the shortage in the US they must have thought about it. Ripper idea if you could figure a good setup.

Hopper.

I think you may have misunderstood. You only need to keep light way from the buckets and/or reservoir. Algae growth and infections are your enemy in the nutrient water.

The plants always need lots of light, and there's no reason hydroponic setups need to be kept inside (if they're constructed properly).

I think you may have misunderstood. You only need to keep light way from the buckets and/or reservoir. Algae growth and infections are your enemy in the nutrient water.

The plants always need lots of light, and there's no reason hydroponic setups need to be kept inside (if they're constructed properly).

Got it! :)

WHOOHOO

My cluster is away

Picture_062.jpg

grow my little pretties :)

my Columbus is going mad with a lot of growth, the cascade is away but slowly compared to the Columbus, the Cluster has started to show signs of life, Chinook is still sleeping as is the Wurtemburger...the W has also suffered at the paws of my mad digging cat.

Wish I had a cat. Would keep the possums away from my hop crop. (The little fellas love the new shoots). Have taken the precaution of fencing my hops in with chicken wire. Will get interesting when the vines get really high as to how I'll keep them off. Have had an invasion of brushtails and ringtails that are using my rear yard like a pantry. Counted 5 brushies and 2 ringtails the other night.

Hopper.

You can *ahem* eat a possum, whereas you cannot a cat - I think the complimentary beer is an ESB.

You can *ahem* eat a possum, whereas you cannot a cat - I think the complimentary beer is an ESB.

rumour has it that there are some cultures that may argue that you can indeed eat a cat ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back