2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi blokes,

1 question after Smurto is answered. What should i water into the dirt that my hops are planted into, ie, fertalizer etc...

They have a few purple shoots poking their heads up (my bro and i had a good chuckle already).

Cheers.

I put some slow release fertiliser into the soil, and gave them regular watering with some "Seasol". I also have a worm farm, so I used plenty of "worm juice" on them.

I was kindly given (well swapped for a couple of home beers) a small POR and a small chinook. both in pots. and they've grown about 4cm in the last 9 days. its exciting actually watching plants grow! as opposed to most things which take for ever and dont do anything.

what are my hopes of actually using flowers from them this year?

my chinook last year went gang busters. Grew up abnd over the 2m fence and had cones/flowers galore. Picked them and then dried them. Weighed 4g. :lol:

1st year flowers are a bonus. Hoping for big things from them this year.

My chinook went well in its first year last year as well. I got some good growth and close to a 100g of flowers (maybe I didn't dry them properly). They went into a full flavoured half sized brew. My columbus and Cluster didn't do as well but I did a couple of 3 or 4 litre experimental brews with them with the excess runoff from some bigger brews.

this year they all look like they are going to take off...I'm going to need a bigger freezer.

Considering that POR gets a bit of a pizzling on here I'ts interesting to see so many folk have planted the POR rhizomes - myself included. Mine hae just taken off over the last couple of weeks and are about 18 inches tall. They copped a bit of a flogging from the wind and rainover the last week but are still standing. I havent trained them other than gently fixing to a stake and let them do the rest. I got a shock on sunday morning when I looked out the window through the sideways rain and seen one hanging towards the ground but nothing a couple of ties didn't take care of til the weather came good and the sunshine returned.

I've got a Tetnang which has sprouted 3 "plants" and they are about 10cms each

I have a cascade on the way which will be planted this week - just before I leave for my BUCKS DAY :chug: :chug: :chug:

Anyone got any good suggestions for fertiliser etc? I have been using slow release stuff and seasol?

Trev - I noticed you appear to have something else growing in your pot - what is it? Is there any other plants that are good to grow with hops i.e. they help each other out like basil or something?

I've got a Tetnang which has sprouted 3 "plants" and they are about 10cms each

I have a cascade on the way which will be planted this week - just before I leave for my BUCKS DAY :chug: :chug: :chug:

Anyone got any good suggestions for fertiliser etc? I have been using slow release stuff and seasol?

Trev - I noticed you appear to have something else growing in your pot - what is it? Is there any other plants that are good to grow with hops i.e. they help each other out like basil or something?

It's just baby spinach, and grows like crazy. I'm not sure the nutrient usage is like vs the hops. It's a 90L pot, so I wanted to have a few more plants on the surface :)

I've added peas to my half wine barrels with the hops. Peas and beans are feeder crops and so add nitrogen to the soil (my understanding anyway) and hops are supposed to be keen on a bit of nitrogen.

All my stressing was needless. My Columbus finally broke ground (with one tiny shoot about 4mm high) a couple of days ago.
My Goldings Hop has one tiny shoot with leaves on it and with the Vic sun shining nicely today should go gangbusters from now on.

If I get any extra rhizomes next year will take Maple and other's tips about using a pot first with some good fertiliser to give them a good head start.

For now, all I can say is the best tip for making these suckers grow is to be patient.

Cheers,

Hopper.

Patience? Mine are taking over the balcony... I'm convinced I'll wake up one day wrapped up in hop vines <_<

Sounds like I should have grown mine "at altitude" like you trev to get your kind of results!

Next time I'll strap a hop pot to my TV antenna! :lol:

Hopper

Everyone seems to be wondering why their plants aren't growing fast at the moment, but you have to remember that spring has only just sprung. The days are only just starting to warm up, and most plants and even grass is only just starting to get greener and start growing.

Give the poor rhizomes a chance, feed them, water them and put them somewhere nice and sunny with some mulch. They will grow when they want to, as people have said they are like a weed and we all know how well weeds grow.

Patience is a virtue they say.

Everyone seems to be wondering why their plants aren't growing fast at the moment, but you have to remember that spring has only just sprung. The days are only just starting to warm up, and most plants and even grass is only just starting to get greener and start growing.

Give the poor rhizomes a chance, feed them, water them and put them somewhere nice and sunny with some mulch. They will grow when they want to, as people have said they are like a weed and we all know how well weeds grow.

Eric , I understand what your saying but I want them NOW... :lol: :lol:

Col (my Columbus) raised his head about a week ago and Proudy (POR) is yet to show anything.

I think the naming thing is important because it helps with when you are talking to the plants .... it's still understood that talking to plants and playing music to them helps them grow right!! :ph34r: :D

the curiosity got the better of me, i carefully scrapped the mulch back around mine and saw this.
my mt hood
IMG_0820.jpg

my useless hallertau( yet to get a single cone off it)
IMG_0821.jpg

my wurtenburger
IMG_0822.jpg

its looking promising

Barls,

I'd remove at least 75% of that dynamic lifter, way way way over fertilised.

Like a few posters said, be patient, keep them moist, not wet, a dash of fertiliser and a long hot summer will have you all happy.

Gil

i actually took the pics before finished spreading it out, also its the 3rd year for my plants

Eric , I understand what your saying but I want them NOW... :lol: :lol:

I hear you buster, I am just jealous that mine have only just started sprouting their heads out. But I know there is still a good summer to come, and hopefully with lots of rain! :D

Proud parents indeed!

For what it's worth I have it on good authority from a v succesful hortuclturalist that it's virtually impossible to overdo the dynamic lifter.

My new PoR is still sitting tight in the ground but where I live nothing else has started sprouting either. Time, Grasshopper, time.

Mine are just poking their heads out, but it was cold enough to freeze our birdbath yesterday ... so they're not going to be off at full pelt yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back