2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would keep the possums away from my hop crop
Couldn't you just put out some poisoned food for them to munch on?

Couldn't you just put out some poisoned food for them to munch on?

:icon_offtopic: (slightly) All manner of things have crossed my mind. Have a trap (which I used to trap and cart 5 brushies out of my roof before sealing off the space) but in Vic you can't use them outdoors by law. It's legit to trap them in roof spaces and move them out (50m away is the rule - usually the suckers come back as are territorial). Believe in NSW they're even stricter and you need a permit or licensed person to remove them but in Vic it's a little more lax.

Have taken to putting collars (of clear pvc) on the tasty trees in my yard and it's slowly moving them on. They want dinner, so they're gradually moving into the neighbour's yard to attack their folliage!

Am privately hoping that the taste of hops is nasty enough that the little critters won't get a taste for them anyhow. Have read somewhere that eating a raw hop cone tastes pretty full on.

Hopper.

You can *ahem* eat a possum, whereas you cannot a cat - I think the complimentary beer is an ESB.

Food and beer matching eh? I like it. Maybe I should open a 'Marsupial Meals' Eatery in my neighbourhood.

With an appropriate beer list to go with it of course. :)

In an effort to steer it back on topic, I proposed that cows would find it too bitter... but my dad reminded me that they eat the pittosporum where he lives... and that stuff smells/tastes crazy... I would say possums would probably love hops.

Will post a shot of my 'possum proofed hop sprouts' tomorrow.

If the critters start attacking them in coming months I may need to come back to this thread from some advice!

Hopper.

I'm still yet to plant my hops (im northwest coast tasmania).

still getting frosts every other day so probably a little too chilly atm.

will very soon though.

Unless your cat is some sort of tiger/lion breed i would wager a possum would tear shreds out of your cat.

My local possum prefers the fruit trees to my hops and taunts the cats. The cats (2) are a year old and yet to learn not to #$%^ with possums.

Possum claws are lethal, cat claws are annoying.

Easier way to deter cats is pour beer on your hops. My cats love wort but cant stand beer.

My little doggy went up against a possum.

Possum didn't fair very well :(

Jack russells actually have more bite than their bark.

A good air rifle would put lots of holes in a possum. That's how we'd do it in Canada. A laser sight would make for some fun drinking games, too :)

My little doggy went up against a possum.

Possum didn't fair very well :(

Jack russells actually have more bite than their bark.
Yeah, our Jack Russell destroyed a few possums in her time. She's a bit old and decrepit these days though.

I'm trying to build a steel balustrade in front of the hops to give them something to climb on to but they're up and away and I haven't concreted the posts in yet! I'll be doing that this weekend and trying not to stand on them.

I moved my hops out of tubs into the ground this year to improve the yield and like Steve, I just mulched them in the winter (let god water them) and they're all up and running....I've got solid growth from:
Mt Hood (1st year)
PoR (3rd year)
Chinook (4th year)
Cascade (1st year) and
Goldings (4th year)

What hop shortage?! :p

Pics to follow...

Cheers,
TL

Well, both of mine are sprouting.

Second year Hallertau (grown from leaf cutting, spent first year in pot), and second year POR (grown from rhizome, in the ground). Got a small crop from the POR last year, so looking for good things this summer!

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4352.JPG

Trough Lolly,
I'm trying to get a bit of advice here. I'm a first season hop grower, have a cascade sprouting three shoots, have heard that in the first year should knock off the first two and let the third go for it. What do you, as an experienced grower, advise,
Bob

Will post a shot of my 'possum proofed hop sprouts' tomorrow.

If the critters start attacking them in coming months I may need to come back to this thread from some advice!

Hopper.

You need to get a snake :super:

As promised here's my teeny weeny hops inside their possum proof enclosures!
The leaves are there due to the frosts we've had. All the hops were planted in mounds as I read that that improves drainage and is how the commercial growers plant them.

Columbus.JPG
The Columbus
1stGoldings.JPG
First Goldings
2ndGoldings.JPG
Second Goldings
PossProofed.JPG
Possum Proof fence!

The 2nd Goldings got off to a slower start due to less sun where it has been planted. Have to thank Gryphon Brewing for these - they're all good.
Trevc, my Dad has an air gun but the barrel is bent! (the pellets kind of swing to the left!) Might have to resort to rock throwing if the possums get too close!

On the subject of cats eating spent grains, read somewhere that spent grains can be poisonous to dogs - so those with the Jack Russells who AG might want to keep your curious pooches out of the bin!

Hopper.

hmm, i need to get some pictures of mine up, i've got a vienna gold (i've no idea what this hop is like) that's growing very nicely, and a cascade with some growth and a Chinook that's yet to shoot :(

In my experience, possums will climb those enclosures if the wire is reasonably stiff. You can put floppy wire on the top, and the possums will be scared to climb on it, or a netting lid.

I only have rabbits to contend with where I have mine, but they will be close to a fence with cows on the other side. I am going to have to protect them with fine netting there as well, as soon as a cow gets a tongue hold, good bye bine.

Have some bird netting lying around in the shed, so might give it a crack.

Have some bird netting lying around in the shed, so might give it a crack.

Cool, I have had things disappear in the past from similar enclosures. Though I also think that a possum in the bush will go to greater lengths to eat tasty imported european stuff than a possum in suburbia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back