2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My five plants are really starting to get some growth happening.
Here are two of them.

Doc

Hops_2008_001.jpg

Hops_2008_003.jpg

All of my established babies have decided that now is the time.........the cascade that arrived this week from Rupert went psycho as soon as i showed them the light (really....I opened the box and left it open without uncovering the rhizomes or growth themselves, and the little suckers pushed their way up to the light!) I've put those two in 60 litre pots with the potting mix Rupert recommended.
I have a chinook and a couple of hersbruckers on the way too to join the clan.....looking forward to a house covered in hops this season and hopefully an abundance of cuttings to share for next season :)

i planted a cascade from Rupert last Thursday - 10 days later I have a shoot that is around 30cms long. The plant has taken off like crazy

My tetnang that was a stick, has 3 nice 20cm shoots coming thrgh

The weather in Sydney has been awesome the last few days, so that is really helping out

still have only the one sprout from my cluster , the other five still hidng beneath the surface , today will plant the cascade and perle that i got from rupert these two already have leaves on them so theyre off and running , have kept them semi dark since they arrrived , night shift has prevented me for getting them potted but theyre still happy doin what theyre doin , just waitin now for the rest to spark up the weather has turned a little cooler over the last week after a bit of a warm spell so i guess thats slowed things a little .. waiting waiting ,,,,,

All of my established babies have decided that now is the time.........the cascade that arrived this week from Rupert went psycho as soon as i showed them the light (really....I opened the box and left it open without uncovering the rhizomes or growth themselves, and the little suckers pushed their way up to the light!) I've put those two in 60 litre pots with the potting mix Rupert recommended.
I have a chinook and a couple of hersbruckers on the way too to join the clan.....looking forward to a house covered in hops this season and hopefully an abundance of cuttings to share for next season :)

More than happy to swap cuttings mate.

Keen to grab some hersbrucker, i have cluster, POR and goldings (as well as cascade and chinook).

Planted my first ever hops Vienna Gold and Goldings around 10 days ago and cant believe how fast these things grow.

Franko

Vienna_gold.jpg

Goldings.jpg

Planted my first ever hops Vienna Gold and Goldings around 10 days ago and cant believe how fast these things grow.
\

When it really warms up mine used to grow at about 6-7cm a day (a rungs worth on my lattice)....every day when I got home from work it had got to the next rung. I did an experiment a couple of years ago in early december and counted up the rungs to see how tall it would be on Christmas Day. Marked the rung and it was bang on schedule.
Cheers
Steve

My Cluster managed 22.5 cm of growth in one day last season ! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

DON'T fall asleep beside your hops.......... :eek:

More than happy to swap cuttings mate.

Keen to grab some hersbrucker, i have cluster, POR and goldings (as well as cascade and chinook).

hmm a thought occurred, is there any particular time where prorogation is done? i'm thinking our case swap could be a beer, yeast, and cuttings swappage day? probably something for next year july swap tho...

hmm a thought occurred, is there any particular time where prorogation is done? i'm thinking our case swap could be a beer, yeast, and cuttings swappage day? probably something for next year july swap tho...

Hop Swap in July would be a better time.
I will bring some potted hops along in December if I have some left.

Wally was handing out loads of POR hops at last years swap.

I was planning on cutting side shoots off up to 1m off the ground and attempted to propagate them. Trimmed them last year but threw them away, will see how i go this year, particularly the cascade.

Mine are poking through the pea-straw now too. I only have three second-year plants and they will be in pots again this year. The POR was planted in the centre of the pot, but last year it decided to shoot at two points, at opposite edges of the pot. It must have gone along under the soil and emerged once it hit the edge of the pot! Anyone else had ones that have travelled underground?

Anyone else had ones that have travelled underground?

Yes and thats why I believe pots are too small for hops. Mine are in the ground.

edit: even the 60 litre pots

Last year i found my chinook had a shoot 1 metre from the rhizome. I traced it all the way back, wrapped the root into a circle and put it back next to the rhizome. It would have grown its way up a tomato plant otherwise!

So far i havent noticed any stray shoots but the weed are getting a little out of hand so they will be hidden till i get around to planting the vegie patch1

just noticed that my victoria has sprouted through , the cluster that popped out a few days ago is now a nice little bundle of leaves 4 more to raise their heads and ill be contented

Wally was handing out loads of POR hops at last years swap.

I was planning on cutting side shoots off up to 1m off the ground and attempted to propagate them. Trimmed them last year but threw them away, will see how i go this year, particularly the cascade.

I don't think you'll have any problems with using the cuttings . This is what I did last year with a few and they all took off like wild fire . I just gave them a liquid fert every now and then . Most of them have resprouted this year while the mother plant is still sleeping along with some new arrivals .

There's nice isntructions for taking cuttings here
linky

How far 'up' will the vines grow before they need to go 'across'? I've got a balcony that faces North out the front of my place that I was thinking of growing hops over. It's about 2.5m up a post then there's a balustrade about a metre high that wraps around.

My brother is looking after my columbus in my absence and says that he would mind swapping some cutting in a few weeks time when he starts trimming. Last year he successfully propagated ten or so which are now down at my oldies farm. Let me know if you want to swap, he is in the Shire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back