2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trough Lolly,
I'm trying to get a bit of advice here. I'm a first season hop grower, have a cascade sprouting three shoots, have heard that in the first year should knock off the first two and let the third go for it. What do you, as an experienced grower, advise,
Bob

G'day BB,
Based on what you've said, I'd let all three shoots go without cutting. All of the leaves are providing nutrients from the sun and to cut back the leaves to 1/3rd will retard growth in the first year. The advice you have is sound - but it applies to mature hop plants. Don't sweat yield in the 1st year - Cascade are a low yield plant anyway. Let them run and you'll be rewarded with exponential growth in years 2 and beyond.

Cheers,
TL

I agree with TL . Im thinking ....If you have got "sticks" for the first time..Lets them all grow. The more growth you can put into the developing rhizome the better (better crop second year). If you have a full rhizome then maybe you can trim to the best 3 healthy shoots

I'm trying to build a steel balustrade in front of the hops to give them something to climb on to but they're up and away and I haven't concreted the posts in yet! I'll be doing that this weekend and trying not to stand on them.

I moved my hops out of tubs into the ground this year to improve the yield and like Steve, I just mulched them in the winter (let god water them) and they're all up and running....I've got solid growth from:
Mt Hood (1st year)
PoR (3rd year)
Chinook (4th year)
Cascade (1st year) and
Goldings (4th year)

What hop shortage?! :p

Pics to follow...

Cheers,
TL
Ok, here's some pics taken today.

Firstly, here's the single Mt. Hood rhizome:
med_gallery_204_125_286552.jpg

And now the rootbound and replanted Pride of Ringwood:
med_gallery_204_125_402245.jpg

The 7 or so Chinook cuttings are lookin good...
med_gallery_204_125_508900.jpg

The Cascade seedling survived the winter and I'm looking forward to cultivating some cuttings in the new year
med_gallery_204_125_267636.jpg

And finally, the 7 or so Goldings cuttings that were the first to appear
med_gallery_204_125_365216.jpg

In terms of scale, the 5 hop plantings are spread out along a 10 metre wide garden bed. We've erected a 2.4m high stainless steel 6 strand wire fence that acts as a balustrade above the retaining wall, but more importantly, provides climbing space for the hopfield...

Cheers,
TL

My hops have finally surfaced (just!!), first time growing them and I have two rhizomes planted. The guy I bought them from wasn't 100% sure, but thought they were POR. I have some sample flowers that I need to get identified but I'm just happy to know they're growing :)

brewing_1.jpg
brewing_2.jpg

came home this morning after a few days away in sydney to find another one of my zomes has raised its head above the dirt for a look at the sun , three up and three to go !! managed to get another zome while i was in sydney which was originally mine but had to give it away to a mate when i left town in a bit of a hurry, this thing was neglected like nothin else and has new sprouts on it ready to go again which goes to show just how hardy they can be , just need to contact the guy who originally gave it to me so it can be identified again ...

bring on the flowers !!

Just wondering how your happy you guys are with the finished product in your beers. Is it hard to guage your alpha acids, how are you processing before use, i.e. fresh, dried, and does the flavour match your expectations? Just a few questions before I start growing my own.
Cheers
Scott.

have also wonder how you know what the AA% is when growing your own hops ?? anyone know ??

When I did mine I took the AA as the low end of average for the variety. The Chinook was the main one, stuffed an absolte stack in the boil from 30 mins onwards. the result was a nice smooth and very drinkable beer with plenty of flavour.

how are you processing before use, i.e. fresh, dried, and does the flavour match your expectations? Just a few questions before I start growing my own.
Cheers
Scott.

Not that I've grown them before but am planning on drying my hops then sealing them in bags and (refridgerating/freezing maybe?) the flowers. Come march/harvest time provided I have some on the bines was planning on building some timber trays with mesh bases and stringing them up in the rafters of my shed - heard this is a good way to dry them if you don't items like a dehydrator.

Hopper.

have also wonder how you know what the AA% is when growing your own hops ?? anyone know ??

I think I read here somewhere that you chew a hop cone and count backwards from 10. Whatever number you're on when you can't take it any more and spit it out is the %AA :lol:

Thought I'd post up some pics of my hops for this year. Very sad little things :(

01102008.jpg

It's a small Tett rhizome - was in the same pot (too small I know) last year and produced some shoots but nothing else. Popped up some very early shoots this year, and they are just starting to yellow a little. There are some darker green shoots that appear to be doing a little better.

It doesn't look too much like the other plants posted up here. I don't expect a harvest this year, but I'd like to give the plant a good boost to give it the best chance for next year. Any tips?

Benniee

I think I read here somewhere that you chew a hop cone and count backwards from 10. Whatever number you're on when you can't take it any more and spit it out is the %AA :lol:

not sure whether to be concerned or amused wardy ....

just put another 'unknown variety" into a pot when its shoots some leaves ill get it identified by the guy that gave it to me originally ..
one more makes 10

my little POR rhisome is loving being in the ground, thanks Boston. :icon_cheers:
SHe's getting alot of water and a decent amount of sun now. :)
vicky_going_vertical.jpg
vicky__s_apical_meristem.jpg

Thought I'd post up some pics of my hops for this year. Very sad little things :(

View attachment 21531

It's a small Tett rhizome - was in the same pot (too small I know) last year and produced some shoots but nothing else. Popped up some very early shoots this year, and they are just starting to yellow a little. There are some darker green shoots that appear to be doing a little better.

It doesn't look too much like the other plants posted up here. I don't expect a harvest this year, but I'd like to give the plant a good boost to give it the best chance for next year. Any tips?

Benniee

Best tips I can give you for hops in pots is
- Larger pot (min 400mm but 600mm is better)
- Get some decent potting mix (Searls or something)

QldKev

Best tips I can give you for hops in pots is
- Larger pot (min 400mm but 600mm is better)
- Get some decent potting mix (Searls or something)

QldKev

400 - 600mm deep?
I just potted mine as it's not my house or land, it's a fairly deep pot but not overly wide, how big does the root system grow?

checked my cascade and after being in the gound for 2 weeks, the tallest bine I have it almost 2m high

This plant is scary

400 - 600mm deep?
I just potted mine as it's not my house or land, it's a fairly deep pot but not overly wide, how big does the root system grow?
When talking pots it is how wide they are. With hops mine were really suffering in the 400 wide pot..

QldKev

View attachment 21531

Benniee

From experience, the dark green shoots are a dead giveaway that the plant has had a previous season. First shoots after planting are light green and take off almost immediately after planting, it's as though they have been bursting to be planted. The reason for this is naturally enough that they need photosynthesis to produce energy for root development. However they often suffer a little from dieback once the stored energy of the rhizome has been depleted. Established plants take their time, no hurry, they have lots of reserves and plenty of roots available to provide nourishment to the growing bines.

The new rhizomes I've planted this spring are now at 300mm and the 3 yo plants are only showing 50mm of new dark green growth.

Screwy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back