2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(snip)
This year I'll take them earlier and strike them in water first as others have done. I owe four cuttings next year to brewers who missed out this year, but plan on taking a over a dozen Wurttemberger cuttings this season as the bloody thing has gone mental, flowering now.

Swapping plants that have taken root would be best kept among brewers who live close to each other, for longer distances rhizomes can be swapped via post during the winter rest, simply packed in damp cottonwool and wrapped in newspaper.

Screwy

Your blood is worth bottling, mate :super:

wow... i really need to get my hands on some rhizomes. Just missed the season this year but next im hoping to get my hands on some chinook and a noble variety! Mmmmmmmm!

I had to plant them all in pots to my very great disappointment. Not only that but I have been too upset to dig up my Chinook and now I may have left it too late. It just started going beserk last weekend.

Just to follow up on this.

I watered the crap out of it the day before the transplant.
Dug out a root / earth ball about the size of a basket ball, leaving all bines and growth in place and put it in a good size pot.

To my amazement, the next day was hot as hell and the plant didnt even wilt. Its bines are rocketing on and searching out any handhold (Binehold) they can find.

Unfortunately my Hallertau which poked up about 6 weeks ago went brown and died back having only got to about 10cm. Over the last few days some more shoots have appeared.

I love these plants. If you stand and look at them long enough, you may find one has effectionately wound a bine around your ankle.

Dont know as yet what I am going to do with these four pots of hops however as we have to move on 14th Dec and our new place will not be ready til 24th Jan. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ATOMT

I'd be very keen for some rhizomes/cuttings for next season...anyone feeling generous ;) Maybe we should have a "Rhi Swap" as well as a Case Swap each few months :ph34r:

Cheers

Happy to join in a Rhi/Cutting swap. If you want to kick off a thread for a swap in 2008 I'll join up Nick.

...plan on taking a over a dozen Wurttemberger cuttings this season as the bloody thing has gone mental, flowering now.

Swapping plants that have taken root would be best kept among brewers who live close to each other, for longer distances rhizomes can be swapped via post during the winter rest, simply packed in damp cottonwool and wrapped in newspaper.

Screwy

Yeah I reckon I'll have a few wuertemberger to swap too. second year in a big pot and it has about 20 shoots with the main ones seriously challenging the Mt Hood. I have about 12 trained allready, so probably cut off and strike the rest.

Just repeating an earlier question. Am i able to pull off some side shoots this early? My chinook is about 8 foot high now and going crazy ith loads of side shoots appearing from as low as 10 cm off the ground. Can i snip a few of these off and put them in water to see if they grow roots? Will snipping of side shoots below 2 m effect the yield? i would have thought removing more side shoots would promote cone production.....

Just repeating an earlier question. Am i able to pull off some side shoots this early? My chinook is about 8 foot high now and going crazy ith loads of side shoots appearing from as low as 10 cm off the ground. Can i snip a few of these off and put them in water to see if they grow roots? Will snipping of side shoots below 2 m effect the yield? i would have thought removing more side shoots would promote cone production.....

When you say side shoots are you meaning smaller shoots coming from the ground or side shoots coming from the main bine at the junction of a leaf? If so yeah, chop them and stick em in a glass of water and put on a window sill.

When you say side shoots are you meaning smaller shoots coming from the ground or side shoots coming from the main bine at the junction of a leaf? If so yeah, chop them and stick em in a glass of water and put on a window sill.

Not coming from the ground, these are coming off the main bine. How long should i let them grow before attempting to snip them off and putting them in a glass of water.

And once they grow roots? Bung em in a pot and see what they do?

Cheers
DrSmurto

My Wurttemberger on steroids. Flowering already!

Wurty2007_10__Medium_.JPG Wurty2007_12__Medium_.JPG
Wurty2007_13__Medium_.JPG

Not coming from the ground, these are coming off the main bine. How long should i let them grow before attempting to snip them off and putting them in a glass of water.

And once they grow roots? Bung em in a pot and see what they do?

Cheers
DrSmurto

About 10-20cms, snip em off, leave a few of the leaves on the top, put them in water, once you have roots growing put in a pot of fresh/new seedling potting mix and then.... yes see what they do. Thats what I did. Trough Lollys POR is now a very nice healthy plant.

Cheers
Steve

Well that sounds easy.

If i can get things to work will be happy trade hops next year. If my cascade takes off i suspect i might have a few takers.......What hops cant we grow downunder? - ive never seen any one mention amarillo or saaz.

Im in nick and screwy, i have nothing to swap except some cash but im keen to give some hop growing a go!

Well that sounds easy.

If i can get things to work will be happy trade hops next year. If my cascade takes off i suspect i might have a few takers.......What hops cant we grow downunder? - ive never seen any one mention amarillo or saaz.

AFAIK Amarillo is a proprietary strain.

When you take the cuttings expect them to take 1-2 weeks for roots to shoot. When you pot them, keep them in a shady area for a while, Ive had my last few attempts this season wilt & die from too much sun (I think).

don't expect the same hop character when grown here. look at Kiwi Saaz compared to the proper stuff.
same plant, but vastly different character.

and yes, taking cuttings has never been easier. my gardening skills are pretty crappy but i do have 2x hersbrucker cuttings in a glass of water almost full of roots.

Sweet!!! You guys have just made my day! :D

I thought that only new plants should be grown from taking cuttings off the rhizomes thick roots.
Reading the posts saying I can strike new plants from the main bines side shoots is fantastic!

Now it will take no time to increase my total amount of hop plants! Bring on the hop invasion!

AHB is the coolest! :beer:

Mudsta :beerbang:

Wally,

How well do they grow in the following season?
I guess what I mean is - how long does it take for the plant to build up a decent rhizome? And get any yield?
Any help would be great.

Mudsta :beerbang:

don't expect the same hop character when grown here. look at Kiwi Saaz compared to the proper stuff.
same plant, but vastly different character.

Kiwi Saaz is not Saaz, but new triploid varieties bred from saaz, and bear no resemblance to it. This is also the case, for example, with Nelson Sauvin, which is a seedling of smoothcone, and Cascade, which is a seedling of Fuggle. None of them bear resemblance to the parent in character.

Saaz is not grown commercially in either New Zealand or Australia as they cannot get them to flower. They are adapted to the much longer daylength of central and northern Europe and have photoperiodicity problems this close to the equator (Bushy Park, TAS). The commercial experience with these is that they want to shoot way to early, go dormant again straight away, and by the time they shoot again have no time to put on enough growth to flower well, if at all. HPA (Hop Products Australia) have a breeding program and are trialling thousands of Saaz and Hallertau seedlings, so a half decent one may come soon. They have one that analytically tests identical to Czeck Saaz, so we'll see.

MFS

Thats good news mfds about a possible decent aussie saaz or halletau cultivar, pity the yanks and kiwis did it 20 odd years ago. Hmmm Kaichen HPA?

My Wurttemberger on steroids. Flowering already!

Im green with envy Screwy, how many seasons have you had the werty?

AFAIK Amarillo is a proprietary strain.

When you take the cuttings expect them to take 1-2 weeks for roots to shoot. When you pot them, keep them in a shady area for a while, Ive had my last few attempts this season wilt & die from too much sun (I think).

Keep them in semi shade, I had about 12 Mt Hood struck cuttings die from the severe Aussie sun last year.

Im green with envy Screwy, how many seasons have you had the werty?

Second flowering season Chris. One gi-normous bine emerged and ran up the fence and twine in about a fortnight. It's really thick and the rhizome is around 250mm long and 55mm thick this year. Digging around in the vegie garden I've come across roots almost a metre away from the rhizome. Last year the Perle grew some weak bines about 200mm high, so I moved it to the same location during winter, it's now about 1.5M high so hops like the position/soil. I rotate organic and chemical fertiliser into the garden each 3 months (blood and bone then CK88).

Gonna toss a big handfull of flowers into a Zwickel Weizen tomorrow.

Screwy,
Not far behind you northerners as I have a few early flowers (stigmas) starting to show too.
I picked up a roll of clothes line wire and they seem to like being trained along it.

Looks like this year I will be making a few harvest ale's earlier than March :)

I will take some cuttings and get them going for a winter swap / trade

cluster_hops_20_11_07.jpg

BTW: What is the Wurttemberger like? Noble, higher than the current 2% euro's :p ?
Hopefully it's better than the Tassie Tet's or Hall as I agree with MFS as they are far from Noble.

- Luke

Screwy,
Not far behind you northerners as I have a few early flowers (stigmas) starting to show too.
I picked up a roll of clothes line wire and they seem to like being trained along it.

Looks like this year I will be making a few harvest ale's earlier than March :)

I will take some cuttings and get them going for a winter swap / trade

View attachment 16067
BTW: What is the Wurttemberger like? Noble, higher than the current 2% euro's :p ?
Hopefully it's better than the Tassie Tet's or Hall as I agree with MFS as they are far from Noble.

- Luke

As for AA who would know without testing. From my limited knowledge Wurttemberger is a hop native to the Baden?Wurtemberg area nd is most likely related to Tettnung/Saaz.

Maybe mfdes can add some info on this as Wurttemberg were brought to Tassie during the 80's. That's where my Rhizome came from, not sure if they are grown commercially there. Adding a big double handfull of fresh flowers at 30 min gives a nice flavour but the greatest impact I find is that the beer has a really fine creamy stick to the lip head.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back