2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sqyre,
My understanding is that the should only be split while dormant so best to wait till next winter.

Only one small problem though. A stupid possum bit the top off one of the Columbus bines (spat it straight back out so hopefully that will be a one off) and now that bine has stopped growing. Only thing is now at each place there are leaves, side bines are coming out. Its only 4 foot tall so far and i want it much higher :( will it continue to grow or will it just spread sideways now? Should i cut off the offshoots or try train them to climb upwards?ots.
Cheers in advance guys
Maeldric,
It will split and grow both ways now that the tip is gone so you now have 2 main bines :D .
I would only cut off the real low shoots that don't shoot up, to protect it against mould and mildew.
I too had the possums eating the tips as they grew up to the top of the fence and a wild rabbit come into the back yard and have a bit of a munch. The rabbit was not healthy for a day or so and just sat under a bush in the backyard like it was a pet, the hopped up possums drove the dogs mad.

Braufrau,
I can vouch that she is wrong. First year you don't get allot of hops but usually enough to use for late editions. Having said that some of the pics in the thread prove me wrong. :D
Here is a pic from this years cluster pick back in March.
The plant is in it's 3rd year and I got 2 of these frames full of flowers for a harvest ale.
l_30b721a06984087301a856b61719e303.jpg

Luke

Does any one have a definitive answer on the clockwise/anti-clockwise winding in the southern hemisphere? I read in Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing he says that it tracks the sun across the sky and that would mean anti-clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

Any horticulturists here?

Mine hasn't sprouted yet, but I want to be prepared.

My columbus jumped up to the wire by itself and wrapped itself clockwise looking downward around it.

Thanks.

I found something about vines and their winding direction here and here.

It looks like it is species specific with most climbers showing right-handed growth. Interesting stuff!

Braufrau,
I can vouch that she is wrong. First year you don't get allot of hops but usually enough to use for late editions. Having said that some of the pics in the thread prove me wrong. :D
Here is a pic from this years cluster pick back in March.
The plant is in it's 3rd year and I got 2 of these frames full of flowers for a harvest ale.
Luke

oooohhh ... how exciting! Can't wait!

Braufrau - i have cluster, chinook and goldings in my backyard (Mt Torrens) and am still getting frosts at least once a week so nothing has happened above ground as yet. Most people have told me that hops are like weeds, you are doing well to kill them and they grow best if ignored. Once they do poke their heads above ground i will be caring for them with the same loving attention i give my chillies. I am still confident that they will grow - like you said, if they grow in Tassie they can grow in the the Adelaide hills. The Grumpys crew have successfully grown hops.

Braufrau - i have cluster, chinook and goldings in my backyard (Mt Torrens) and am still getting frosts at least once a week so nothing has happened above ground as yet. Most people have told me that hops are like weeds, you are doing well to kill them and they grow best if ignored. Once they do poke their heads above ground i will be caring for them with the same loving attention i give my chillies. I am still confident that they will grow - like you said, if they grow in Tassie they can grow in the the Adelaide hills. The Grumpys crew have successfully grown hops.

i know ... I'm being silly.
Most of the fruit trees still don't have leaves. The glory vine is juuust starting to show green so why should I expect hop bines??

Now if everyone in QLD would stop showing off I could stop panicking and concentrate on finding seed potatoes which are turning out to be hard to find unless you want bright purple taties!

i know ... I'm being silly.
Most of the fruit trees still don't have leaves. The glory vine is juuust starting to show green so why should I expect hop bines??

Now if everyone in QLD would stop showing off I could stop panicking and concentrate on finding seed potatoes which are turning out to be hard to find unless you want bright purple taties!

OT but these people sell seed potatoes and i recently bought a mini green/glasshouse from them so that i could get my chillies/tomatoes etc a headstart so they are ready to plant once the frosts are over. Quick delivery and really helpful on the phone.

Linky

Cheers
DrSmurto
p.s. i have asked the cheeky northerners to stop showing off with their hop plants growing but they seem to enjoy tormenting us. :angry:

Just starting to get a few shoots and leaves on this one.

l_a88e80c67a98a33b0a2a247e2dc150b1.jpg

And this one is almost ready to start climbing.
l_1d21058b113d36b71e14b12036b7db7e.jpg

Hope I can water them this summer ?

- Luke

my mount hood and halleteua have come up waiting on the wurtenburger now

Thought I'd better get some pics of this years growth.

2006_0906Image0006.JPG
This is my Hallertau as of this morning.

2006_0906Image0005.JPG
This is my Wurtemburger.

Still waitng for the Mt. Hood to come up.

Colombus. Seems to be growing fine in the pot. I will have to get some twine soon and attach it to my gutter.

IMG_0252_1.JPG

Cheers, JJ

Just starting to get a few shoots and leaves on this one.

l_a88e80c67a98a33b0a2a247e2dc150b1.jpg

Hope I can water them this summer ?

- Luke

Thats exactly what my little buds look like sticking out of the soil. Except they just wont shoot been like that since i planted them, so now i've covered them up with soil....mine are at soil height tho i dont have massive branch's like that..

Mine were a bit late into the pot... but they'll be ok :beer:

Chinook_8_9_07.JPG

Columbus_8_9_07.JPG

oh dear .. why am I thinking I may have planted them upside down?

:unsure:

Just wondering if it's possible to import rhizomes from the U.S.A.

How would AQIS react?

Don't know Rich , you'd have to ring them and ask. I doubt you'd get them through though.
Braufrau, don't worry, you wont be last of the blocks, I haven't even received my rhizomes yet.

Back