2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a gentle reminder that we will be closing off orders for rhizomes on Friday 1st June. We will then forward everyone's details down to our grower in Tasmania and he will be sending out the orders directly to you in mid to late July.

Happy growing!

Shit!

OK Given we have the details of the grower in Tassie can anyone help me with the appropriate breed of hops to try to grow here in southern Sydney?

Does he offer different varieties to anyone's knowledge?

Has anyone grown any type with success here in or around Sydney?

I have only just returned to brewing after a long break and figure if I can get some hops in the right place in my yard it will give me greater options as time goes by, Thanks for any tolerant help, Cheerz Wab.

Hmm... I rang the number of the bloke in Tassie over a week ago and he hasn't rung back <_< so does anyone in SA have any rhizomes I can steal?

Buy from the source:

Stewart Ferguson
PO Box 173
Scottsdale TAS 7260
PH: 03 6352 7207
I got a reply from Stewart that he has sold out of this years stock.

Bugger!

If anyone has POR or noble hops rhizomes available I'd be prepared to pay market value. Am in Western Sydney if that helps.

Likewise, I am down in Tassie... but if Stewart Ferguson is out of stock then I am not seeing much hope in getting any planted this season. =( =(

Since a couple of plants have refused to stop growing from last season, would it be worth cutting them back to ground to encourage a new growth for this season, of just let them reshoot from the existing folage?

QldKev

I am bumping this question back up as i am seeking an answer to the same.

It is now full winter and yet my Chinook is not only still covered in Leaves, it is still producing new hop cones (albeit a dribble). Do I cut back anyway or just let it go through to the next season?

Anybody?

ATOMT.

I am bumping this question back up as i am seeking an answer to the same.

It is now full winter and yet my Chinook is not only still covered in Leaves, it is still producing new hop cones (albeit a dribble). Do I cut back anyway or just let it go through to the next season?

Anybody?

ATOMT.

Id probably cut it back ATOMT....let the rhizome have a rest for a few months. Give it some food (compost) and i'll bet it'll come back bigger and better...which after looking at your pics I hope you have new plans for a bigger trellis.
Cheers
Steve

Id probably cut it back ATOMT....let the rhizome have a rest for a few months. Give it some food (compost) and i'll bet it'll come back bigger and better...which after looking at your pics I hope you have new plans for a bigger trellis.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve. I will do that then.

Thankfully I have a huge wall to spread it over......and a fence if I need to.

I never did get onto the Tassy supplier re the male plant and looks like Ive missed the boat now.

cheers

ATOMT

I may be sounding like a broken record, but my Chinook from last year has not only not died off, its still got hops on it and is still putting out sprays of new flower buds. Weird?
The nights here over the last week have been down around 10oC.

ATOMT :blink:

Hey ATOMT, can I enquire where you get you rhizimes from? I'm keen to buy some and whack 'em in the ground while there's still time. Is there anywhere in MELBOURNE that sells them? Any help gratefully recieved.
G

Hey ATOMT, can I enquire where you get you rhizimes from? I'm keen to buy some and whack 'em in the ground while there's still time. Is there anywhere in MELBOURNE that sells them? Any help gratefully recieved.
G

Unfortunately for you and me, I got these from the Tassy supplier previously mentioned in this thread. As you may also have read he is already out of stock, so unfortunately i am not much help there.

Note of interest. I didnt order mine last year until August and he still had supplies. Either he has a scant supply this year or there are a lot more people ordering now. I would say by the number of enquiries on this thread that "hobby hoppist" is really a booming past time now.

Now if only I had a few acres to cultivate my own barley.........

ATOMT

Unfortunately for you and me, I got these from the Tassy supplier previously mentioned in this thread. As you may also have read he is already out of stock, so unfortunately i am not much help there.

Note of interest. I didnt order mine last year until August and he still had supplies. Either he has a scant supply this year or there are a lot more people ordering now. I would say by the number of enquiries on this thread that "hobby hoppist" is really a booming past time now.

Now if only I had a few acres to cultivate my own barley.........
ATOMT
Thanks for that, I might have to wait until next year.
G

well i finally got my trellis made and this is what i ended up with. now all i have to do is wait for the the shoots to come up
15072007034.jpg

15072007035.jpg

15072007036.jpg

Wow Barls quite the setup there. I have some POR rhizome headed this way next weekend and plan to put them down near my back fence, where they will gets lots of sun especially during winter.

I will make a trellis from the trunk of a large banksia and a fence post and put some running lines up to them in a similar way to you, but my setup won't be near as orderly as yours :)

How many sorts/rhizomes have you planted, and when? Cheerz Wab

this is my 2nd attempt so we will see how it goes
ive got 3 in total, 1 halletau 1 mt hood and 1 wurtenburger all in there 2nd year but the first in the ground

SHould I get rid of what is possibly a Male vine, (goldings) I beleive some UK brewers actually use th Male flwoers, but will it affect the rest of my vines, if they aver bloody produce a flower?

SHould I get rid of what is possibly a Male vine, (goldings) I beleive some UK brewers actually use th Male flwoers, but will it affect the rest of my vines, if they aver bloody produce a flower?

what makes you think its a male plant sinkas? Maybe ATMOT could post a pic of his male plant that he had to compare? It was covered in hundreds of little white fluffy looking buds.
Cheers
Steve

Mine just had one small branch of off small flowers, not hanging cones...

Latest posts

Back