$1500 to spend, what should I buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josho_28

Reaction score
I'm about to move home to Aus after living o/s for a few years. Got into small scale (1 gal) stovetop BIAB while I was away and now I'm hooked.

I've saved up my pennies and want to invest in some decent gear but can't decide what to get. Top of the list is a fridge with temp controller so the cold side is taken care of.

I think I want to set up a 3 vessel electric HERMS. Basic at first but upgradable to something with a control panel down the track. On the other hand I wonder if continuing to BIAB or some other single vessel system would suffice and keep more of those pennies in my pocket for ingredients.

What do you reckon?

Lots of good single vessel units on the market and well priced, that is where I would be looking, even the second hand Braumeister's are coming down in value because of the said units.

Why not get a simple BIAB system and use the left over $$$ for a slick new kegging setup?

If you get a reasonable sized vessel for BIAB you can easily upgrade later and incorporate it into your 3v system.

JD

If you are unsure there a few things worth thinking about:
  • How much storage space will there be for conditioning
  • What sort of turn-around time is ideal, from brewday to chuggalug day - kegging makes this quicker as does pressure fermenting
  • How often can you brew
  • How much brew-space do you have
  • How many styles do you want available
A bit of a think about ^thi$ $hould help work out what finished volume you want from a brew-day and how big your brew-house needs to be. Once you have your ideal brew-house size worked out, you can go from there.

I enjoy 3V+ or 4V HERMS with limited auto control because I like to be involved hands on in the process. Everyone has their reasons, maybe jump in on some brew days with different peeps and check out their process. If you are ever around Eagle Point Vic you're more then welcome to come and see my set-up.

cheers eh

Robobrew, ssbrewtech unitank and a gas bottle would be a neat setup. You can always serve from the tank before you get your keg setup.

I'd start with a decent sized kettle. 70L is good for 40L batches. You can either set this up with a gas burner or electric elements. I have a gas burner and 2 over the side elements and only use electric these days. This will get you brewing for around $300 all up and you can add a HLT, mash tun and HERMS over time.

Should be able to get a cheap fridge for under $50 and an STC-1000 for about $20 for temperature control.

With the change you could get a kegerator, kegs and taps.

Keep an eye out though. If you just want to drop $1500 on the brew rig some nice one's come up from time to time for less than that so you could get lucky, it also depends on how long you are willing to wait!

If you are unsure there a few things worth thinking about:
  • How much storage space will there be for conditioning
  • What sort of turn-around time is ideal, from brewday to chuggalug day - kegging makes this quicker as does pressure fermenting
  • How often can you brew
  • How much brew-space do you have
  • How many styles do you want available
A bit of a think about ^thi$ $hould help work out what finished volume you want from a brew-day and how big your brew-house needs to be. Once you have your ideal brew-house size worked out, you can go from there.

I enjoy 3V+ or 4V HERMS with limited auto control because I like to be involved hands on in the process. Everyone has their reasons, maybe jump in on some brew days with different peeps and check out their process. If you are ever around Eagle Point Vic you're more then welcome to come and see my set-up.

cheers eh
Thanks mate. Might take you up on that!

Robobrew, ssbrewtech unitank and a gas bottle would be a neat setup. You can always serve from the tank before you get your keg setup.
Would love a unitank but am thinking maybe a fermentasaurus as it has a lot of the same features minus the shiny ss and hefty price tag..?

I'd start with a decent sized kettle. 70L is good for 40L batches. You can either set this up with a gas burner or electric elements. I have a gas burner and 2 over the side elements and only use electric these days. This will get you brewing for around $300 all up and you can add a HLT, mash tun and HERMS over time.

Should be able to get a cheap fridge for under $50 and an STC-1000 for about $20 for temperature control.

With the change you could get a kegerator, kegs and taps.

Keep an eye out though. If you just want to drop $1500 on the brew rig some nice one's come up from time to time for less than that so you could get lucky, it also depends on how long you are willing to wait!
What elements do you have?

These are basically the same as what I have. 2 gets a good rolling boil going for around 50L but you need 2 separate 10 amp circuits to run them.

I have 2 15amp circuits in my brew area so that works for me.

These are basically the same as what I have. 2 gets a good rolling boil going for around 50L but you need 2 separate 10 amp circuits to run them.

I have 2 15amp circuits in my brew area so that works for me.
Sorry, did you mean to include a link for the elements?

Regarding the single vessel brewing the Robobrew could also come into consideration, very cheap at the moment, and as long as KegLand stays in business and honours the warranty may also be an option.

Regarding the single vessel brewing the Robobrew could also come into consideration, very cheap at the moment, and as long as KegLand stays in business and honours the warranty may also be an option.
And moving quickly, and using the current ebay discount code (PFLASH10 good till midnight) you can secure a robobrew with pump and free jacket for less than $500(plus shipping) from brew wizard: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-35L...729408?hash=item25cc6176c0:g:fbYAAOSwJWFacEZ9

Latest posts

Back