150 liter Stainless stock pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jord said:
Got a couple of the 62L ones also. Pretty average construction on these pots, with rough and obvious seams down the side and where the base joins the sides. The two pots were different heights and diameters, and given the light weight and the tinny sound they make, I have my doubts that these are the advertised 1.2mm thick. This is just my experience and opinion posted for information, and for the price they would probably do the job. So all things considered, I got what I payed for, but intend to return them and have another look around.

Cheers

attachicon.gif
2014-04-08 19.03.23.jpg
Shit. Too good to be true eh? Which ones are you looking at getting instead?

Kayne said:
Shit. Too good to be true eh? Which ones are you looking at getting instead?
Don't want to derail the thread, so PM sending...

Afternoon everyone

Are the guys who bought the 150lt pots happy with their purchase after doing a couple of brews?

Cheers Andrew

Biggles77 said:
Afternoon everyone

Are the guys who bought the 150lt pots happy with their purchase after doing a couple of brews?

Cheers Andrew
Yep!
I'd recommend them. I've only done some water tests with mine a few times but I've got a 210,000 btu burner with a HP reg under it & no problems at all.
The welds are fine on mine & absolutely no rust spots anywhere.

Mine are going well. Handles the Rambo, no scorching. Actually that reminds me I left them out the back on Sunday with some sod perc in them.

Got one of the 150L pots, pretty happy with it especially considering the price, welds all look decent, will do a water test in the next week sometime. Couple of scratches on it and a small ding but very shiny otherwise. Nice upgrade from my 38L ally pot :p

Need to build a wider stand for my burner now, and drill a hole in the pot for a tap.

My two spent a month out in the back yard in the weather. Only surface rust/stain is on the handles.

I"m glad to hear that everyone's pots are doing ok. I bought 3 of them, ( got 4 because one had a ding) Brewing space has been a major issue so I haven't had the opportunity to use them, but ...... This is all changing. I have rented a garage specifically for brewing so it is time to pull my finger out. I am building a 3v system with a Herm-it and a ridiculous amount of stainless fittings.

My Question is to all the people who do 100+ Liter batches is what fermentation chambers do you use, lots of fridges/ freezers, cool rooms or custom built? I'm hoping to get some EPS panels tomorrow and thinking of using a bar size freezer, a fan and a heat lamp. Has anyone here built a fermentation unit with different temperature sections?

Cheers.

5150 said:
My Question is to all the people who do 100+ Liter batches is what fermentation chambers do you use, lots of fridges/ freezers, cool rooms or custom built? I'm hoping to get some EPS panels tomorrow and thinking of using a bar size freezer, a fan and a heat lamp. Has anyone here built a fermentation unit with different temperature sections?

Cheers.
Have you thought about using the spare you have with a stainless chiller coil or 2 with an ice bank chiller.

Hey Booargy, I have thought about using the spare as a FV. I'm just thinking about how to keep them at stable temps using a cost effective solution? I'm trying to thing how to use a "ice bank chiller" to maintain fermentation temps, very open to ideas and suggestions. Cheers.

for a bright tank I have a 100l keg and plan on putting a 15m chiller coil in it and have a the temp controller connected to a pump. The coolant will either come direct from the ice bank chiller or from a chilled water tank I have the materials to do it but haven't got around to it yet so can't give you first hand experience. Haven't worked out the insulation for them but thinking of a removable foam jacket.

nathan_madness said:
I found this to be the simplest solution. It also lets you dry hop differently per 25L.
All bungs. Going a bit :icon_offtopic: but... how do you get the beer out? Pour, siphon... one of those racking cane things I only see referenced in american threads?

Ed: grammarly

After years of brewing cider in glass demi's I've got siphoning down pat. I've also recently adopted the bacchus fermenter bag technique for my 60L fermenters which involves siphoning too.

Nice setup Nathan_madness. I have been looking for a cheap fridge that could hold 4 x 25L or 2 x 60L, but without much luck. Good news is a mate just gave me 6 EPS panels which are 3000mm x 1140mm. Now it's time to decided if I build one monstrous chamber or build two smaller ones. :D I know two would be a better idea so that I can vary temp, but it'll be twice the cost. Has anyone here pulled out the guts of a fridge or freezer and reused them for a Fermentation chamber?

nathan_madness said:
I found this to be the simplest solution. It also lets you dry hop differently per 25L.
gallery_25427_1158_471989.jpg
Apologies, this is also :icon_offtopic: & likely a dumb question, but having a heat pad / lamp / belt, whatever inside the fermentation fridge - how do you go with the power cord going from inside the fridge to outside to the power supply? Doesn't it leave a slight gap in the fridge seal?

JB said:
Apologies, this is also :icon_offtopic:& likely a dumb question, but having a heat pad / lamp / belt, whatever inside the fermentation fridge - how do you go with the power cord going from inside the fridge to outside to the power supply? Doesn't it leave a slight gap in the fridge seal?
It does, and can be minimised by using "flat" power cables, or you could drill a conduit hole in the side of the fridge and seal up with foam, rags, etc. Alternatively, get some foam tape and put that either side of the cord.

If you're brewing ales, then it won't matter too much. The ambient temp will probably (depending on where you live) be closer to ferment temps, and so the effect of the seal gap will not be as apparent.

When you don't need it to heat, just unplug the heater so the cable is out of the way.

Latest posts

Back