1469 Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just poured out the glass I had sitting round

f12c83d2.jpg

Hopefully you can see the yeast in there, which was settled on the bottom of the glass. The beer was still very cloudy, with the sediment on the bottom, so I tipped out most of the beer and swirled the last bit so I could get the yeast to whirlpool of sorts. So defiantly not just yeast, bit still suppressed at how much yeast is there

Thanks for the link manticle. One thing I didn't have with this brew was the massive krausen, didn't get much of a krausen at all actually. He's right about the flavor getting better & better though.

I'm having trouble with this as well.

Last Saturday I brewed the DrSmurto's Landlord with 1469. Everything went well with a OG 1.043.

Fermentation started quickly and there was losts of action. Then on day 4, nothing. I took a reading and it was sitting at 1.021 and has stayed at this reading for 3 days.

I've given the fermenter a swirl to try and get the yeast to wake up, but it does appear to have worked. The fermenter has been at 18C for the whole time.

Do I have a problem or should I wait longer?

Is it the yeast just being lazy and can I get them working again?

@Wachenfeld: My experience of most UK yeasts is that that is reasonably typical. Patience, some swirling and sometimes racking to secondary all work.

Perhaps I'm blessed, hardly had an ounce of strife with 1469 in the 18- odd months I've been using it, so no stuck ferments, always vigorous and predictable and clears after a fortnight in primary, albeit quite a lot of krausen usually remains.
I can get some reasonably clear ale from it without any extra effort at all, but on the whole I feel that's largely cosmetic anyway and I'll only be bothered with ale clarity for the comps. The things I'd be looking at are water composition, mash completion, pitching rate and yeast health.

I'm having trouble with this as well.

Last Saturday I brewed the DrSmurto's Landlord with 1469. Everything went well with a OG 1.043.

Fermentation started quickly and there was losts of action. Then on day 4, nothing. I took a reading and it was sitting at 1.021 and has stayed at this reading for 3 days.

I've given the fermenter a swirl to try and get the yeast to wake up, but it does appear to have worked. The fermenter has been at 18C for the whole time.

Do I have a problem or should I wait longer?

Is it the yeast just being lazy and can I get them working again?

I'd rack it and raise the temp to 20C to see if you can kick it back into action.

Have an english ale in primary using the White Labs platinum strain (WL037 - Yorkshire Square Ale). Pitched the vial into 20L @ OG 1.047 with no starter. Plenty of aeration pre-pitch and over the next 48 hours. 4 days after pitching (fermenting at 20C)and it starting floccing out but had finished the job (FG 1.012). Missed my chance at top cropping but will re-use the yeastcake in a Landlord and top crop from then on in a few batches.

I love it when I find a previously started post that helps me out 100%...

I too put on a landlord a couple of weeks ago and this is what happened to me (using 1469)...

Made a 2L starter with stir plate. When making starters with 1968 (a notoriously good floccer) after 30 hours the starter has big globs of yeast flying around in it. You can clearly tell that it has fermented out and flocced hard. My starter with 1469 did not do this so I was suss right from the start.

Pitch yeast @ 19 into 1055 wort. I have an STC1000 temp controlled heat/cool fridge/heatmat setup for perfect temp control within .3 of a degree. This yeast took 48 hours to fire!! This is something that has not happened to me for a long time. All my recent beers (~20 or so) have been fully fermenting after 24 hours - a stat that I like. So I was suss on this as well.

CRAZY KRAUSEN!!! (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59462 ) Seriously after 60 hours there was yeast spewing out the top of my fermenter like a volcano!!! I cleaned it all up and then the next day it happened again!! So, I was suss on this as well!!!

After 14 days fermentation finally stopped. I raised the temp from 18 to 21 for a D Rest. I noticed the beer looks very hazy. ....

Anyhow a ffew days later I thought well Ill crash chill this beer and it will settle out fast because its a good floccer. Have since chilled to 1 degree and there is perhaps 1cm of clear beer on top but everything below is hazy as. It can be clearly seen as yeast in suspension...

After reading this post I am not real keen on 1469 any more. It seems to be very inconsistent batch to batch.

Anyone make a comment about the good times they have had with this yeast?

Cheers.

Anyone make a comment about the good times they have had with this yeast?

Cheers.

Bear, i've used it in a fair number of recipes since Dec 2010 and it's always been good results. Usually pitched as an active 1.030 -1.040 starter @ 22-24 and run at 20 Deg C. Most of those recipes were English Pale Ales.

Only hazing i've seen has been chill haze in a fairly heavy ESB i used it in. All others have been really clear.

Personally, i think if it tastes good, it is good. :icon_drool2:

Drink it and enjoy it.

Martin

Thanks Martin.

I wish I could be of the opinon that if it tastes good its all good but im not. I like clear beer I and just cant stop myself! :)

Cheers

Latest posts

Back