No chill hop additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrie

Reaction score
I'm playing with a DrSmurto TTL recipe and the hop additions are based on a no chill / steep for 10 to 20 mins after boil. I'd like to convert this to an instant chill right after the boil finishes. Can anyone suggest where I should adjust this hop schedule to achieve the same result.

DrS's hop schedule as mentioned:

97% TF FM Golden Promise
3% TF Dark Crystal
Wyeast 1469
Based on steep after boil for 10 to 20 mins before chill.
Fuggles @ 60 to 30 IBU
EKG @ 20 …1g/l
Styrians Golding @ flame out …..1.5g/l

30 IBU

Mash 90 mins @ 65ºC
Mash out @78ºC
Boil 90 mins

If the no chill recipe calls for steep 20 mins after boil, assuming your urn/kettle is NOT permanently insulated, then chuck them in at flame out.

Flameout and whirlpool for 20 ought to do the trick

Quote from Dr Smurto...........http://aussiehomebrewer.com/app=recipes?do=view&rid=680&&page=21#commentsStart

"I do 90 min boils for a few reasons, the main one being I feel i get a better hot break by boiling quite vigorously for 30 mins before adding hops.
The other advantage of boiling for the extra 30 mins is the extra few litres of wort required which means i sparge a little bit more and get slighlty higher efficiency.
You will also get slightly more caramelisation.
I do a minimum of 90 min boil for all my beers, 120 min for big beers like BW or RIS.
Re no chill. All my recipes with late hops are designed with the 15-20 min extra after flameout to allow aroma hops to steep, time for the whirlpool to pack the break and hop material into a nice cone in the centre of the kettle and me time to setup the chiller, sanitise it, hoses and fermenter.
Anyone who adjusts my recipes for no chill will undershoot their bitterness (calculated on BS1 or 2 using tinseth).
Current recipe is the one listed in the recipeDB - MO or GP is fine, i like both but make sure you are using the Thomas Fawcetts floor malted versions. I updated it a few months ago as i stopped using munich/choc combo years ago when the TF malts became available."

Latest posts

Back