1469 Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Ummm, I duuno, but I thought Wyeast 1469 was a good floccer

196c0464.jpg

Recipe is

1kg LDME
3.5kg JW Ale
300g Munich
200g Med Crystal
80g Choc Malt
30g NB @ 60 (20 IBU)
10g Warrior @ 60 (12.5 IBU)
20 Styrian Goldings @ 20 (5 IBU)
20g Styrian Goldings 3 days dry hopped
Wyeast 1469 1500ml starter, which dropped out but not as much as say 1056
Mashed @ 66
OG 1055
FG 1014

23L batch, 12L boil, 75% eff
5 days @ 18
5 days @ 20
4 days @ 1

Made a freakin' great beer, I love it. But it looks like shit. So my concern is just the different results I'm getting from others who have used this yeast. All the other qualities I've read about fit quite well, fruity, malty oohh is it malty, but not cloying, and almost dry for the FG I got.

Is that chill haze: i.e. does it clear on warming or is it permanent?
Did you use Gelatine to help clear any yeast haze?

If it's chill then I'd be pointing finger at the LDME as that used to often give me haze like you wouldn't believe (one of the reasons I went full mash)

I just pitched a 1469 starter about 30min ago. I used similar grains to you but was AG so no LDME (except for the starter, about 100gms LDME). The smack pack came from Craftbrewer and was manufactured on 3/2/11. It swelled up within 2 hours, so should be kick arse. Interested to see if I get the haze like you have. I'm hoping it's the extract

The smack pack came from Craftbrewer and was manufactured on 3/2/11. It swelled up within 2 hours, so should be kick arse. Interested to see if I get the haze like you have. I'm hoping it's the extract
Are you sure about that date as the Wyeast site doesn't have it available for that date.
GB

looks like chill haze to me, warm the beer up and see if the cloudiness goes. Also if it is chill haze then there are a few was to get around it. Adding PVP is probably the easiest, not done it myself, haze doesn't bother me so long as the beer tastes good, but there is a tute on here somewhere on how to do it.

Good Luck

Aaron

Yeah I though that too Bribie, but I've done quite a few partials like this and never had an issue this bad. I mean, with any beer I make that has a decent portion of DME I get some slight haze, but this is like looking through a sand pit. I'm holding half a glass in my hand now to warm it up, but the temp of the glass I took a pic off was already with in reason to doubt chill haze...................

................Ok took a break (like an hour), same beer I was trying to warm up is just as cloudy, just as tastey.

083a67b7.jpg

Not sure of the date of the pack I got but it was before then, I put my order through on 1/12/10

Was it a starter made out of the smack pack?

I've had varied results, sometimes I find 1469 flocs like lead after only a few days, but other times I have found it to take a couple of weeks in the fridge to fully floc.. Possibly due to mutation over several generations?? Or another factor

Did you use kettle finings?

Was pretty fresh, I spit the pack into 6 stubbies and made a starter with one of them. No kettle finings or any finings at all for that matter, haven't done so for a long time.

No kettle finings... :eek: - maybe you could try koppafloc or something that might work especially with LDME.

Did your temperatures stay stable while fermenting? A change in temp may have caused a problem.

I've had a couple of murky beers recently which is very unusual for mine (partials with between 30 - 50% grain), which I'm pinning on the use of US05 yeast (which until recently I never really had a problem with). I'm using liquid yeast now for the next few brews to see if that changes things. If they're clear I'll ditch the US05 forever. For ever.

Never had a clarity issue this bad even when doing full dry extract brews, f**k, my dunkelweizen is brighter than this stuff. I'm hoping that when the keg is done there's a whole heap of sediment in there which transfered from the fermenter, but I doubt it, Crash chilling usually does a good enough job of keeping the trub where it is. I'm half thinking about racking it off to another keg today, if I can be faaaraked.

Last 1469 brew I did looked exactly like that for a week or so. Cleared up in the bottle with time.

sorry OT.

yep I noticed a few months ago something in US05 has changed it wouldnt clear for some reason and it used to all the times before then and nothing changed in the way I fermented and conditioned.

Last 1469 brew I did looked exactly like that for a week or so. Cleared up in the bottle with time.

Did you crash chill at all in the fermenter/secondary

Update, have had a glass sitting at room temp for a few days :lol: , deffinatly not chill haze. Still no clearing of the kegged stuff though. I don't think I'll have the patience to keep it off tap, it's a bloody nice beer, so yesterday I took out another stubbie of 1469 (wort clear as day might I add) to use over the weekend. Will be keeping an extra eye on that one

Update, have had a glass sitting at room temp for a few days :lol: , deffinatly not chill haze. Still no clearing of the kegged stuff though. I don't think I'll have the patience to keep it off tap, it's a bloody nice beer, so yesterday I took out another stubbie of 1469 (wort clear as day might I add) to use over the weekend. Will be keeping an extra eye on that one

My guess leans towards starch haze issue. If it's not clearing cold or after all that time at room temp, then i don't reckon it's a yeast issue.

I did think that. Maybe I should start testing my mash so I know I have complete conversion? I suppose it's that easy I should really be doing it anyway. I know there is some yeast there, I can taste it, not just the flavour, but I taste yeast. But yeah, I'm starting to think the main issue is my mash, not the yeast

I've brewed a full extract with a second generation 1469, no finings, no floccing stuff, 3 days C-C ... no real haze, so I'm doubting it's the yeast too.

Latest posts

Back