100% Organic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerard_M said:
Gough
I plan to lock all of my brewing gear in a room with my mother-in-law for a couple of hours. Nothing will live through that!
Cheers
Anon.
[post="84327"][/post]​

:lol: :lol:

If I locked any gear in with mine it would need to be destroyed :ph34r: :ph34r:

Shawn.

Gough said:
Gerard_M said:
Gough
I plan to lock all of my brewing gear in a room with my mother-in-law for a couple of hours. Nothing will live through that!
Cheers
Anon.
[post="84327"][/post]​

:lol: :lol:

If I locked any gear in with mine it would need to be destroyed :ph34r: :ph34r:

Shawn.
[post="84329"][/post]​

hahhaha, and what exactly is the half life of Mother-in-law radiation ?? 40 years ?

Doc

Q: What is the best way to sanitize my equipment and still "brew organic"?

A: The most practical way is with a mild iodine solution. Iodine is a naturally occurring mineral that is non toxic in minute quantities. The amount used to make an effective sanitizer is about .1 oz. per gallon of water, or about 13 ppm, which will not leave any trace of flavor and smell in the finished beer. Iodine is also a mineral that the human body needs in minute quantities, which is why it is often added to table salt. It is rare, but some people have to avoid ingesting iodine. To avoid this, euipment may be rinsed with sterile water after sanitizing. Other alternatives for sanitizing include heat (boiling, or using an oven or autoclave), hydrogen peroxide (oxygen based, a more costly alternative), or a mild acid sanitizer such as 5-Star's Star San Sanitizer.

Did a Google on cleaning and found this. Seven Bridges Cooperative .

just to verify something:
Just because it's a "chemical" doesn't mean it's bad.
Burtonising your water involves using a "chemical" but it's definitely not seen as a nasty.

"essentially mashing and enzyme conversion of starches/sugars is chemistry and chemical in nature." exactly.

Organic doesn't mean "chemical"-free. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to put sodium chloride on my organic chips.

As nonic man shows there are plenty of organic sanitisers. Alcohol is another one.

Doc said:
Gough said:
Gerard_M said:
Gough
Cheers
Anon.
[post="84327"][/post]​

:lol:

If I locked any gear in with mine it would need to be destroyed :ph34r:

Shawn.
[post="84329"][/post]​

hahhaha, and what exactly is the half life of Mother-in-law radiation ?? 40 years ?

Doc
[post="84343"][/post]​

Whatever it is it's too long... :lol:

The whole 'certified organic' beer thing isn't something I'm really busting a nut to brew, just something I've been keeping my eye on and thinking about for a while. It is something I'd like to at least try at some stage. The wine I've tried from certified organic vineyards (there's one or two at Mudgee for example) has tended to be a bit iffy in quality and has certainly not lasted as well in the bottle. Can't see that being a problem for beer though :)

Shawn.

Doc said:

Doc
[post="84343"][/post]​
It depends on what you feed her ;)

It looks like there are a few people half interested in having a go @ an "organic"(whatever that means) beer.I do plan to have go @ one soonish and will revive this thread when it happens and encourage any one else who is interested/doing one to revive and add tips/hints,recipie and experiences as well
At the very least it will be an interesting side project/experiment :beer:

Cheers Dave

Brauluver said:
I am not a greeny with an anti mainstream agenda, just a home brewer with a curiosity and an experimental nature who wanted to try some thing different. :unsure:

Powells is obviously who i will have to source the malt from, any hints or google tips on who i should be sourcing the hops from?

Based on the limited ingredients i will be looking to brew a pale type ale with a nz hop( hallertau, p.o.r) and a neutral 1056 type yeast.

anymore tips/help appreciated :excl:
[post="84328"][/post]​
Well I kinda am a greenie with an anti-mainstream agenda :) and I tried to brew an organic beer with pretty ordinary results.

I used Powell's organic malt (toasted ~10% in the oven.) It gave horrible efficiency, about 50%. I usually average about 75%. As a result the beer went from a strong ale to a pale ale, and tasted quite watery. I used home-grown PoRs which don't have much flavour either, and Safale S-04 because the US-56 wasn't available at the time. I just sanitised as usual (don't tell anyone!) The beer was very much forgettable, so it's not really something I'm itching to try again.

Definitely agree about the Founders beers - they're great. As are the Emersons organic beers (the Pils especially.) The Australian organic beers I've had have been pretty ordinary.

A lot of people poo-poo the organic route and the people who are into it but for some it is essential to go organic as much as possible to be able to get on with life in a normal way. My missus has chemical sensitivities and generally non organic wines and foods set her off. So if could brew an organic beer I might get her to switch drink preferences.
I would use a steam cleaner (still on the look out for a cheap one) for sanitising duties.

:) Just an FYI update. Been trawling around the net for most of the w/end and thought this link may be interesting to anyone with an organic bent!

http://www.breworganic.com/recipes/recipes_menu.htm

Awaiting a reply from powells on the organic malt,and going to order some organic hallertau this week ( thanks gerard m).

Looks like my first ever A.G will be an organic ale, might call it the "VIRGIN" first time and pure....LOL :lol:

Just a note for those interested

Schneider Weisse Edel Weisse (6.3%) is available in Australia. Certified 100% organic by the USDA.

Beautiful drop by the way.

Ask and ye shall receive...

For those interested in organic cleaning, I emailed Mountain Goat about how they clean/sanitise organically. The reply was that, according to Australian Certified Organics who certifies Mountain Goat, chemical cleaners are ok as long as they aren't chlorine or ammonia based. This leaves a lot of chemicals available, including sodium hydroxide (caustic soda).

:) Well today was the day folks!

Did my first A.G(mini) and made it an organic one to boot.

Powells organic pilsener(2.5 kg)
N.Z hallertau organic pellets(FWH & 10 min addition)
fermentis US 56.(Rehydrated)

Mashed @ 65*c for 75 min and batch sparged using a bucket in bucket.

rudimentary to say the least but any ag is better than no ag!

Strike temp was spot on (used the online calc @ grain & grape)

11.5 litres in total.

Time to plan the next one and start saving for the bits to do a 23 litre batch( gotta have a dream!)

Cheers Dave.

Well today is tasting day and I'm a happy camper!

The organic Blonde (AG) is a ripper.

Clean crisp malty profile,with a hint of ale fruitiness.
Paler than I could eva have done with extract and a mouthfeel that is what I've been hankering for since I started makin beer.

Hallertau hops give it a european feel with an aroma to die for.

Yipppeeee..................................EDIT 4 spelling .

100_1244.JPG

Latest posts

Back