1 carbonation drop v's 2 for 750ml bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi All,

I keg 99% of my beer and tend to bottle 1-2 750mls from each batch to give away, enter into comps etc etc.

What I have found is that the carbonation of 2 drops is way to high, with all styles I have bottled with, 2 is too much foam.

Anyone that bottles alot or always, have you tried using only 1 carb drop for a 750ml and was the carbonation too low or just right?

I am about to attempt using a syringe ($3 for about 6 on eBay) for bottle priming. My though is to calculate how much sugar is needed then dissolve in a measured amount of water (measuring cylinder works best). From there dive the mix between the bottles. That way you can use an online priming calculator to get the vol of co2 desired

No experience on the matter, but you could try the priming sugar spoons. They usually have a 500ml and 750ml scoop. Cost is under $5 usually. I have one handed for when I run out of carb drops.

i will check what the HB store has, no doubt they have one of those devices.

It also depends very much on the yeast. Some of the UK yeasts that attenuate very slowly because they are traditionally used in cask conditioned beers can produce gushers after a few weeks in the bottle. Others such as Nottingham or the many Chico style American yeasts are done and dusted and can take more priming sugar.

I've experimented with 1 and 2 carb drops in an APA before and i preferred the beer with 1 drop. Probably not ideal levels, but still carbed up OK. As you stated, 2 drops are too much. I normally pseudo bulk prime with the syringe, and this way you can get the carb level to whatever your style or taste calls for.

I bottled for near a hundred batches and never had a problem using two drops to carb. I've always crashed cooled to 3 deg and bottled cold which could have something to do with it?

Latest posts

Back