Zinc For Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
There was a rather anal thread here a couple of weeks ago about zinc deficits and Australian malts.

There were some suggestions like adding a bit of zinc or zincalum to the boil.

I just had a quick thought, what about adding few US pennies? These are 97% zinc, and will cost you, well, pennies.

There was a rather anal thread here a couple of weeks ago about zinc deficits and Australian malts.

There were some suggestions like adding a bit of zinc or zincalum to the boil.

I just had a quick thought, what about adding few US pennies? These are 97% zinc, and will cost you, well, pennies.

This is the one your after....

[post="0"]Linkage[/post]

:icon_offtopic: Have you had your prostrate checked lately?

Graham Sanders has suggested tossing a zinc sacrificial anode (like the ones attached to outboard motors) into the boil as a benefit to yeast health.

Screwy

Too much zinc is also bad for yeasties. Save yourself the trouble and use a measured dose of nutrient.

:icon_offtopic: I was reading in my new UK Real Ale book that many old UK yeasts have adapted to do well in the presence of copper ions because of the use of copper for centuries before SS was invented.

I reckon just a little zinc tablet would do, they are around the size of an old style cough lozenge if I remember and you slip one under your tongue. Don't recall that they have a strong flavour.

Hey an American penny might kill two birds with one stone

reckon just a little zinc tablet would do, they are around the size of an old style cough lozenge if I remember and you slip one under your tongue. Don't recall that they have a strong flavour.

Zinc tablets vary massively in dosage. 5mg? 50mg? You can do the math yourself (Wort zinc levels should be between 0.100.15 ppm) but I'd be wary of just "chucking in a tablet" and hoping for the best. I've heard of people doing the same thing with magnesium and ending up with beer that gives you the shits.

As stated by GL you could just use yeast nutrient, which has a proper measured dosage.

I've heard of people doing the same thing with magnesium and ending up with beer that gives you the shits.

Admit it, who else is now tempted to brew a 'special' beer for their inlaws? ;) :lol:

Graham Sanders has suggested tossing a zinc sacrificial anode (like the ones attached to outboard motors) into the boil as a benefit to yeast health.

Screwy

He should have put some zinc in his chicken, really.

EDIT: oh yeah, I recently had a nightmare about a world without zinc- you won't have car batteries, telephones or guns! crazy stuff.

EDIT: oh yeah, I recently had a nightmare about a world without zinc- you won't have car batteries, telephones or guns! crazy stuff.

Yeah, but in a world without zinc, US pennies would be worth 3% of SFA... oh, wait.

Sometimes in Germany (in the horrible past of course) where you aren't allowed to add things to your beer - there was however no law at all about what that access ladder to the bottom of your kettle could be made of. Regularly changed galvanized ladders were quite common.....

:icon_offtopic: Does it freak anyone else out that the chiller goes into the pot all brown and comes out all shiney?

No the plasticisers from the no-chill cube blocks those thoughts braufrau ;)

So how much yeasat nutrient would you use for a standard batch?

The packets should come in measured doses, or if you get a larger amount it should have the require dose on the packet...

Latest posts

Back