Your Wife And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

does your wife/girlfriend/partner complain about you drinking too much and spending too much time wi

• yes, she complains a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, it's not even an issue in my house

• I do what I want, ignore the woman!

• Total voters

xknifepointx

Reaction score
Okay gents I just wanted to know how you guys seemingly get away with having huge brew setups and lots and lots of beer stored in the house. I currently have 2 fermenters bubbling away and I usually have a few long necks every couple of nights, but I always cop shit from my girlfriend saying "why do you drink so much, why do you have to become an alcoholic, why do you spend so much time with that beer stuff" etc etc etc.

it's getting to the point where she thinks that having two or three beers a night makes me an alcoholic, there's no justification to her otherwise, so how do you guys get away with it? any tips I can use to get her to shut up? ;)

she's a non-drinker, I tried to get her into drinking a few, but she hates beer.

I used to have hundreds of bottles stored in plastic crates; bottle lying eveywhere; fermenters in the laundry.

I convinced my wife that getting kegs would save her space; make the house tidier. I also convinced her that getting a fermenting fridge would also tidy things up as the fermenters wouldn't be in the laundry.

Of course the big AG brewery in the shed more than makes up for it... but hey, the logic works on her!

As far as drinking goes - I bought some bigger 500mL glasses - one of those is good evening fair. I make sure I have a couple of non drinking nights a week, and she is happy.

Now she has rights to the "first sip" of any beer I pour - she's not a beer drinker but now she understands why I do it.

Don't know if this helps or not...

M

1. Cook her a nice home cooked meal and have the beers with dinner
  2. Make her a batch of cider/her favourite drink
  3. Show her how much cash it saves
  4. Remind her that you love her :beerbang:
Those would be my avenues of escape/justification.

....i have to brew specifically for my wife at least once a month to keep up her supplies...nothing better than justifying brewing by saying" i have to dear, you're out beer"....she is very supportive of my long term goal of pro brewing and fully understands the benefits and savings of AG brewing ....and look out if i get myself a beer without offering one to her....i feel sorry for the guys who have to battle the wife to brew...

Regarding the other half being a non beer drinker, you gotta find out why she doesn't like beer. ie, Is it the bitterness? Then you point her towards something appropriate.

Wheat beers are generally low on the bitterness side and relatively easy to make yourself. You could also try her on fruit beers or Leffe Blond is an easy drinking commerical beer that she might like.

I took her to the Belgian Beer Cafe once and she really liked the fruit beers there, there was a peach one, a cherry one and something else that escapes me right now. I think they were Leffe I'm not too sure.

I'll look into it.

My partner and I have 3 kids. Mrs PoMo likes my brewing for two reasons: 1. She likes beer, so she drinks some of by brews but beyond that, a couple times a year she makes a brew request; this year I've brewed her a doppelbock and probably will put on a weizen later and 2. It keeps me home. If I didn't brew and have beer on tap, I'd be out at clubs and pubs drinking or spending a heap on boutique beer to drink at home.

The way I see it, I'd drink if I brewed or not. Brewing gives me things to do at home, so she at least knows where I am when I'm not on the golf course.

1. Cook her a nice home cooked meal and have the beers with dinner
  2. Make her a batch of cider/her favourite drink
  3. Show her how much cash it saves
  4. Remind her that you love her :beerbang:
Those would be my avenues of escape/justification.

Yes I agree, try to involve her in your brewing activities.

Things like washing bottles and used fermenters really turn them on :D

Another one is turning the handle on the grain mill, They know by doing this simple task that they have saved you the expense and effort of motorising the unit. :D

If they empty the mash tun they soon realise that the spent grain makes excellent mulsh for the garden.

And, washing dirty beer glasses is generally no trouble as they are already very good with the washing up.

Of course there is always an exception to any rule.

View attachment rules_t_shirt__Small_.bmp

My Mrs. bought me my first home brew kit as a father's day present, luckily I've never had the need to bring that fact to her attention - it's reserved just in case though....

When she started to complain about empty bottles soaking in the bath tub I mentioned the benefits of kegging and got the approval subject to getting her a new dishwasher, later that week kegs were set up and she had a new dishwasher - smiles all round.

She doesn't mind a beer and nowadays I've noticed she's cut down on wine and increased drinking beer.
I've got a two year old so as long as I'm not half pissed around him she's cool with my consumption.

Dunno how you're gonna get her to ease up with her being a non-drinker - perhaps get her to read that "How much do you drink thread"...

SWMBO complains a bit (esp the time I spend doing it compared to other things, like housework ;) ), but I just go to the garage at nights for brewing. Doesn't bother anyone and I get a piece of quiet with my music and brewing and a schooner ot two. Don't brew in the house unless theres nobody home now.

I think the curtain-twitching neigbours think I'm making methamphetamine, with all the water noise and gas sounds late at night....

Ask her if yshe would prefer you to change your hobby to playing Golf , a far more expensive hobby .

As regards becoming an alchoholic , I think that is an addiction Gene if you cant give up smoking you could have a problem with alchohol . if that is the case she is right .

Pumpy :)

Yes I agree, try to involve her in your brewing activities.

And, washing dirty beer glasses is generally no trouble as they are already very good with the washing up.

Of course there is always an exception to any rule.

I once got her to put carbonation drops into my bottles as I was bottling the brew, she "accidently" put four drops in one bottle forgetting which ones she'd already done and when I drank it, it was so extremely fizzy and head spilled allover the kitchen.

I'm surprised it didn't explode, lucky it was only in a PET bottle. I also once tried to get her to wash the empties, she threw the glass longnecks out and the plastic ones I washed myself.

maybe it's time to give it up.

the woman that is, not the beer. kick her out and expand the brewing? :D

but then I'd have to cook for myself. two minute noodles can't be that bad can it>??

It's generally not a problem here. She loves a beer, well a gluten free one anyway, and it would help solidify my cause if I could get some gluten free grains to brew for her.

I was doing a mini brew inside today and she walked by with the comment;
Oh, those brews always smell good.
So no complaining here.

I have to say my wife is excellent,

She is not much of a drinker and doesn't like beer at all,

She got me my first Coopers kit which started the ball rolling and has supported (even encouraged) me along the way.

Her shift work unfortunately means long stressfull days so I make a point of not brewing on her days off and trying to co=ordinate with her the best times.

When it has come to buying big Items such as mills, pots, eskies etc she has been fantastic and as a natural bargain hunter herself understands the value of bulk buys.

I usually dont drink mon-thurs and I love brewing and want to continue for as long as I can, so the last thing I want to do is piss the wife off.

Get her to at least understand the process so she can see the reason for what your doing and maybe you may have too compensate for this time with her in other ways.

Women really are different creatures in their thinking to most males, if you try and combat it good luck!
better to work with them than against them, having said that I think I was extremely lucky and scored a real winner, :beer: and NO she is not looking over my shoilder as I write this!

Cheers
BB

u lucky sod.
I am just an A-hole and need to improve my hubby skill so bye she's on her way back :ph34r:

My wife is cool with it all.

She knows how much money it saves us and takes pride in telling people how good my beers are.

She told me once it was alright cause she knew where i was.

" at least your not at the pub chasing 18 year olds around" she said.

cheers

My missus actually encourages it! Doesn't mind me spending money or time doing it... As long she gets some beer out of it then it's all good! She also likes the fact that I can sit down and have only 1 or 2 beers and I'm happy with that (more drinking for the taste... Not to get smashed)

Cheers,
Andrew

No problems here.
My wife likes beer.
I brew beer.
No problem.
I sometimes think she drinks a little more than me.
Have to remeber if I look more attractive after she's had a few!

My wife encourages me too. She bought me 3 shirron taps and 2 more kegs for my 30th, and paid for all the bits I needed for my chest freezer conversion.

Mrs Sqyre is always in complete support of anything i do in the beer side of things...

She constantly puts my hobby in front of hers... after spending our younger days living at the local bowls club every friday night,saturday night and sunday lunchtime.. (mrs sqyre only has a glass now and then. she enjoys the atmosphere more..) it has always been the consensus to buy or build our own litle pub... and the shed is the beginning of the dream..

She has supported me through thick and thin and has NEVER EVER said "you cant" or "you won't"...

She has often been the the one to put me back on track when i start to think things are too hard, or are going wrong..and when things do get tough financially she is always the one that says "its only money"

Behind every great man there is an awesome woman...

if she was anymore supportive with the Brewing...she would probably grow a Penis.. :p

lets hope for my sake...she doesnt get any more supportive..(having incider stay over is painfull enough)

Sqyre.. ;)

Latest posts

Back