Your Top Five Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my fairly limited tasing history, since I was coverted from megaswill, I would have to admit that its very hard to pick 5 and after drinking only these five for say a year, you would probably choose a totally different 5. but anyway here goes

Not in order..

1. Little Creatures Pale Ale

2. Redoak Special Strong Bitter - on tap

3. Chimay Blue

4. Duvel

5. Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale

Hoegaarden Grand Cru
Leffe Blonde
Weihenstephen Dunkel wiesbeer
Chimay Blu
Coopers Vintage Ale

Tried Rochfort 10 for the first time last night... not a bad beer by a long shot.

ED: I want to try Trumer Pils, but it is always on the top shelf at DMs under the bloody mercury vapour lights.

Ive never had a skunked Trummer Pils and Ive brought plenty of cartons!

Pilsner Urquel different story never had a good one... maybe its me...

Murrays Pale
Alpha Pale Ale
Gage Roads IPA
Pepperjack Ale
JSGA

mine has changed...
Murrays Pale
Alpha Pale Ale
Coopers Pale
Pepperjack Ale
Mountain Goat Hightail

Ive never had a skunked Trummer Pils and Ive brought plenty of cartons!

Pilsner Urquel different story never had a good one... maybe its me...

Ive read on here somewhere before that you are a fan of the Trummer Pils or that you were trying to brew a clone, Ive never had one, why you like them so much?

mine has changed...
Murrays Pale
Alpha Pale Ale
Coopers Pale
Pepperjack Ale
Mountain Goat Hightail

That's only two changes in just over a month - not too bad DJ :lol:

Dogbolter
2m Tall Huon Dark Ale
Barons ESB
Speight's Distinction Ale
James Squire Pilsener

There's more than 5 though...

Guinness - a fresh draught pint. If the kegs been open too long, no good. And those widget cans are horrid.
Tooheys Old. A mainstay for many years - but as above - because it is not a fast mover, draught is not always fresh. Its easy to tell when its fresh, and when its not.
James Squire Amber Ale. A recent addition to my list, a serious challenger to Tooheys Old for a mainstream swill (though a bit more expensive)
Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue) - magnificent, though i haven't tried Rochefort which some consider to be better, or other big belgian beers
Hoegaarden Wit
Mountain Goat Hightail Ale - OK thats six, but gotta give the locals a fair go.

As you can tell I like dark, with the occasional white beer. And lager is right off the menu ....

Rodenbach Grand Cru
Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
Rochefort (any)
Spaten Munchen
Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale

They're my favourite imported beers...I'll have to think harder about locals.

Red Hill Imperial Stout
Otway Estate Farmhouse Ale
Red Hill Scotch Ale
Otway Estate Otway Ale
Mountain Goat Hightail

James

Guinness - a fresh draught pint. If the kegs been open too long, no good. And those widget cans are horrid.
Tooheys Old. A mainstay for many years - but as above - because it is not a fast mover, draught is not always fresh. Its easy to tell when its fresh, and when its not.
James Squire Amber Ale. A recent addition to my list, a serious challenger to Tooheys Old for a mainstream swill (though a bit more expensive)
Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue) - magnificent, though i haven't tried Rochefort which some consider to be better, or other big belgian beers
Hoegaarden Wit
Mountain Goat Hightail Ale - OK thats six, but gotta give the locals a fair go.

As you can tell I like dark, with the occasional white beer. And lager is right off the menu ....

I like em dark too. Must be an eastern states thing but I wouldn't know a tooheys if I tripped over it... As the Hoegaarden Grand Cru is my all time fave beer I really really wanted to like the wit, but I find it a bit boring and bland? What is it you love about the wit?

I'm finding this thread a little depressing on a few fronts:
1) I'm realising how few of these beers mentioned that I can still get my hands on easily
2) The reality is that most of the beers I'd have in my top 5, I've also had crap examples of (transport & storage issue) but that's another thread

My top 5.
Fullers ESB - if I hadn't got a good one to start I would never of brought another
Wychewood Hobgoblin
Delerious Tremors (yes the english version of this beligan beer, cause I'd spell it wrong otherwise :rolleyes: )
Duvel
Schnieder Adventius Dopplebock

What is it you love about the wit?
It is nigh impossible to get a dark beer in a melbourne restaurant, but many have a good range of imported beers. Even if Hoegaarden wit is "boring and bland" compared to some of the more esteemed beers of the top 5, it soars above the lagers you otherwise get in a restaurant (I really dislike Heinekin, Stella etc which are the height of sophistication on the melbourne eating scene. Mrs Parmas an honourable exception.). Wit is also a nice refreshing beer on a hot day, and occasionally its nice to have something a bit lighter than my favourite dark beers - a bit of yin and yang, yang all the time gets a bit boring.
Hazard

Westvleteren 12
Hakusekikan Super Vintage ('04)
Rochefort 10
Cantillion Geueze
and for a local one probably Redoak Old Baltic Porter

Local yokels:

Little Creatures Pale Ale
James Squire Porter
Holgate Temptress
Coopers Stout
Mountain Goat Hightail Ale

From barrels across the sea:

Shofferhofer Hefeweizen
Duvel
Youngs Double Choc Stout
Budvar
Emersons anything

Aw man, you guys are bastards - all I want to do is hit the bottle-o now! :icon_drool2:

Hopper.

for those who like youngs double chocolate stout - and live in Perth - you have to check out the seasonal chocolate ale at Mash Brewery. Its like chico babies on the nose.

Hmmm, looks like I have far simpler/cheaper/crapper taste than many here. I'll get my flame proof suit just in case but here goes:

James Squire Amber Ale, Barons Lemon Myrtle Wit, Hoeggarden Wit, Bluetongue Pilsner, James Squires Pepperberry Ale (does that count if its not available anymore? :))

In no order (except the first one)

St Bernadus Abt 12
Rochefort 8
Thornbridge Jaipur
Schneider Aventinus
Hargraves Hill ESB

shit man what a question!!!!! mine have gotta be..

5. lanlord
4. james squire amber ale
3. hobgoblin
2. little creatures pale ale
1. schlenkerla (im a little bias my family is from bamberg)

Just thought Ide give this a bump and see whats changed.
Daz

Not a single beer, but last night I stumbled across a fantastic blend.

1/3rd Erdinger Dunkel topped with 2/3rds Schofferhofer Hefeweizen.

It was so good that Im going to brew two clones, and do some post ferment blending.

Back on topic, my top five changes all the time, same as with my top 5music tastes in any one period of time. Right now

1. The Dunkel, Hefe combo
2. Samuel Smith Taddy Porter
3. Fullers IPA
4. Holgate ESB
5. Murray's AA4 (oh how I pine for thee)

My top 5 are US influenced. I went there a year ago just as I started to get serious about beer. Maybe it was the fact I was on holiday or something but the beers over there were awesome. I've tried the a few of the Australian Micro beers but they all seem to pale in comparison. I think the handling and logistics of bottled beer in the states is miles ahead of what you get here at your local Dans...

1) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
2) Lagunaitas IPA
3) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
4) Fat Yak
5) Anchor Steam Beer

Latest posts

Back