You Know You're A Dedicated Homebrewer When...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you throw your hop debris in the kitchen bin after French Pressing so that instead of smelling rubbish you smell the beautiful aromas of ultra late hopping.

Yeah, 'cause my missus loves that one..... :ph34r:

I've been guilty of that trick many times, i think it's a divine smell. She's not exactly in agreeance with me though.

When you use your annual leave for brewing related necessities.

Sponge

When you serve the last few litres to a glass from a bucket (yellow), rather that buying megaswill, after the keg diptube becomes repeatedly blocked from hops (note to self: use teaball). Do I need to drink directly from my brewing bucket to be deemed dedicated? :icon_cheers:

When SWMBO calls you in and points to your flask on the stirplate.... with the krausen dripping down onto the carpetted floor... with little puffy yeast trails all over the place

and all you think about is if you'll still have enough yeast for a good innoculation when it all settles down?

.... any good beers in egypt??

Not as i remember. Egypt is pretty much dry due to a high Muslim population.

Also no bacon, although the beef bacon tastes similar to jerky. They also bleed most of their meat pretty dry so leave the steak alone of any is on offer.

To stay on topic:

You know your dedicated when you keep a little book of brews/ingredients to try later.

When your 18 months old son's first words were: (In order)..

Bubba, DaDa(Used for dummy), Mumma,apple, beer..

And he recognises beer in the glass and in the bottle for what it is..

That's not bad actually.

My son, now 6yo. once told a policeman friend of mine who lives three doors up, to "come and look at my dad's hops collection".

Now this policeman had never seen hops before, let alone the several kilo's of NZ flowers i had in my freezer before...
should have seen his eyes light up when he first saw them.....had some explaining and backpedalling to do that's for sure.

And yes, he does know the two plants are somewhat related.

When you throw your hop debris in the kitchen bin after French Pressing so that instead of smelling rubbish you smell the beautiful aromas of ultra late hopping.

Put it in the freezer and use it for bittering (though it tends to just sit there while you forget about it)

Cleaning up the house getting ready for family to come over, and 3yo son is putting stuff in the fridge of the toy kitchen saying "Daddy I'm putting the beer in the fridge".

When you're watching landline and a hops segment comes on and your 2 yr old daughter says "Hops! Like daddy hops!"

I think most adults would struggle to identify a hop bine as quickly as she did :)

When your two and a half year old brings you out a half poured pint without any help(i didnt even ask for it),i was impressed but but SWAMBO sure as well WAS NOT!!!!!!!!!!
He also spits the dummy if he cant put the hop additions in,aaaahhhh kids you gotta love em! :icon_cheers:

When your doing a piss and look down and see the brand of the toilet is caroma and then stand there thinking mmmmm caraaroma :icon_drool2:

When your doing a piss and look down and see the brand of the toilet is caroma and then stand there thinking mmmmm caraaroma :icon_drool2:

...and you start guessing the colour of your piss in SRM/EBC units and trying to guess what styles would suit the colour.

When you sleep with a box of (12) bottles for a week to ensure carbonation.

...and you start guessing the colour of your piss in SRM/EBC units and trying to guess what styles would suit the colour.

... or taste it and think, thats enough IBUs but it could do with some late hop additions

and so VB was invented

There's late hops in VB???

Thought the IBU's and flavour would've been pretty spot on.

Probably needs more sugaz though...

Sponge

When your two and a half year old brings you out a half poured pint without any help(i didnt even ask for it),i was impressed but but SWAMBO sure as well WAS NOT!!!!!!!!!!
He also spits the dummy if he cant put the hop additions in,aaaahhhh kids you gotta love em! :icon_cheers:

I'd be asking him what happened to the other half a pint?

... or taste it and think, thats enough IBUs but it could do with some late hop additions

and so VB was invented

Was designed by an angry wife with a yeast infection... "just a bit of sugar to sweeten it up, huh, somethings happening... I'll leave it for a couple weeks and then give it to him"

Spat coffee everwhere!!

When you sleep with a box of (12) bottles for a week to ensure carbonation.

Guilty of that too. The ducted heater in my room is surrounded with milk crates

Latest posts

Back