So How Many People Do You Know Who Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two people I know brew (one kits and bits and one kit and kilo of sugar) and just met one of the local winemakers here in orange who has a sweet AG setup that had been in is shed for a good few years that can brew and ferment 50-70L batches in a two tun system :eek:

My mates and I from uni had a go at brewing in our first year, so we borrowed the gear from my mates old man, who is the kits and bits bloke. I didn't mind the results (coopers pale ale kit & BE2) and a cider but the others weren't so impressed. That fell by the wayside until partway through second year I thought I'd have a crack at a tooheys dark ale kit (was on special $9.99 :D ) and turned out the fermenter and the gear had gone home so I bought my own coopers starter kit, the rest being history...

My mates like my beers better than megaswill and now drink a lot of tooheys old, though most of them will still drink TED/corona/pure blonde, etc. One of my mates has become a bit obsessed with new and different beers (not enough to contemplate brewing his own though) and regularly informs me when they get new beers in at the local IGA. He likes belgians especially and wasn't a fan of the recent spate of english bitters available here recently, but they were a hit with the others. Can't please everyone I guess...

That winemaker wouldnt happen to be Mortimers would it?

I only know one AG brewer and one K&K brewer through work other than all the blokes I know from the net... Would love to know more!

I had a keg party on friday, 2 kegs, a Smurtos Golden Ale, and my Unspeakable Pale Ale, it was awesome that I can shout 2 kegs for less than $60 and get everyone happy on my beers, it was a good feeling looking around and seeing everyone with a glass of my beer in their hand...

The night was spent bright red from people saying how good it was and how much they liked it, a few drunk people saying theyre going to start brewing as well (knowing full well that they wont).. What got me the most, was that the most popular keg was the 2nd one, even tho I thought Smurtos beer was more mega swill friendly, but maybe Kiwis are used to a big hop explosion :lol:

You do get the occassional idiot who knows absolutely nothing, like some fool who tried to tell me Smurtos GA tastes similair to Guinness :eek: The keg rights were removed from him!!!

But im well converted, if I go to a party or bbq in the future, I will have a keg in tow B)

My neighbour is a keen kits & bits brewer, and in the last four years that I've lived here, have tried some awesome creations from him. It's also handy to borrow his bench capper and spare fermenter when I want to bulk prime

outsidfe of AHB only 2 other people. One is a mate I started brewing with over 12 years ago in high school (terrible old tins of goo brewede at 28C - good old coopers instructions). Ive got him back in brewing.

Some family friends Ive turned onto homebrewing also (a married couple). They are just beginning, but im working on a full converstion to Hbing.

Ive tried to get a few others into it, but without any luck. They love my beer but dont ever seem to make the tranistion from saying 'yeah this is great' to 'i'll start doing tis myself'. oh wel, you can lead a horse to water...(but drowning it is a bitch - stole that line from someones signature on here!).

Ive met one other brewer and he was an arrogant prick, he had bought a 1 tap kegerator an d did siomple K&K and thouyght he was the best thing since sliced bread. I just nodded politley, got his email address and send him some pics from AHb of the 'avgerage' setup on here. he quickly piped down and he wont reply to my emails now. Ive triedf to get him to come onto AHB and welcome him into the brotherhood. but he doesnt seem interested.

anyways that enough of this dribble that im spouting

That winemaker wouldnt happen to be Mortimers would it?

No it was Terry out at orange mountain wines, I couldn't believe how good his first attempt at an AG was! (Pat Casey from absolute homebrew did come down and guide him through it, so that may have helped... :D

Latest posts

Back