You Know It's Going To Be An Awesome Weekend...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XavierZ

Reaction score
...when the Universe arrives in the post!

Thank you Ross for Pimping my Ale!

Galaxy_Hops.jpg

Just wondering, if you are in Sydney, why you wouldn't buy locally ? There are perfectly well equipped and longstanding stores in your own backyard, who are most knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. They even offer free or cheap shipping.

http://www.absolutehomebrew.com.au/ (free shipping over $120)
https://daveshomebrew.com.au/ (free shipping over $120)

And in one of the above examples, the web prices are nothing like the real prices if you go there yourself. Last time I went to Nth Sydney a couple of weeks back, I probably got 25% knocked off the overall price, something that happens for most customers.

They are a lot cheaper at craft brewer. Even if you look at the bulk price on the other sites.

They are a lot cheaper at craft brewer. Even if you look at the bulk price on the other sites.

If you go strictly on the web prices, then sure. But I scored a bag of Maris Otter for $70 the other weekend at one of the Sydney stores, with great in-house discounts often enjoyed on most other products. Freebies even !

The other advantage is the face to face interaction if you need advice, or even just to have a good old chat for a hour with your LOCAL supplier. Even if you only go in 1 of every four orders, with the others by mail, you will be better off keeping your business close to home.

I find that Craftbrewer's hops are far more fresher than my LHBSs irrespective
of the fact that Craftbrewer is half the price, including shipping.

On the flip side, I buy ALL of my grain locally.

If you go strictly on the web prices, then sure. But I scored a bag of Maris Otter for $70 the other weekend at one of the Sydney stores, with great in-house discounts often enjoyed on most other products. Freebies even !

The other advantage is the face to face interaction if you need advice, or even just to have a good old chat for a hour with your LOCAL supplier. Even if you only go in 1 of every four orders, with the others by mail, you will be better off keeping your business close to home.

I have to Agree with SiloTed here.
I buy 95% of my grist\hops etc from Nige at Brewadelaide.com because he's local (but also ships interstate).
It's all online for me because the nearest REAL brewstore is over an hours drive away.
If Nige doesn't have it, i'll then go to Ross at craftbrewer or Wayne\Amanda at BeerBelly.
Unless the deal is like a MashMaster Drip tray for $1, then I don't even look at the price.
I would rather spend an extra few bucks and support my local bloke.

Nothing against Ross or BeerBelly, I have bought from them both recently and have been satisfied. But Nige from BrewAdelaide.com is always the first stop because he's my "local".

cheers,

BF

Sounds pretty vague to me.
Aah yes, the first in a long line of Craftbrewer Fanboys.

If people want fresh hops for cheap and are happy to buy interstate, Ellerslie Hops has the best deals going. Of course, Ross doesn't want anyone buying directly from them, and has said as much in the past.

www.ellersliehop.com.au/

Get hops and grains in bulk buys ftw. $30 for a kilo of hops - the vacuum sealer has paid for itself already!

of the fact that Craftbrewer is half the price

Really ? I would say the difference is about 3 cents a gram.

But hey, people can buy where they want, follow the herd even if it makes no tangeble sense to do so. Im just making it known that there are other, VERY GOOD brewshops out there for Sydney people.

Even the Brew Shop has sacks of Joe White base malt for around $55 if I recall. Not that I can recommend the palce,I have rarely dealt with them, but if its strictly price alone, the that sounds pretty good for a non-bulk buy price

If people want fresh hops for cheap and are happy to buy interstate, Ellerslie Hops has the best deals going. Of course, Ross doesn't want anyone buying directly from them, and has said as much in the past.

www.ellersliehop.com.au/

You're the only fanboy here. Your contributions to this thread are ******* illogical, until you mentioned Ellerslie Hops. That is good advice, presumably they are cheaper than craft brewer especially when buying 620 grams of Australian hops.

For the record I buy almost all of my hops from the USA.

Any other stuff I buy from who ever it makes sense to buy from for my own personal circumstances. Several different Australian places and International ones as well. I have zero loyalty to any shops, unlike you you hypocritical idiot.

You're the only fanboy here. Your contributions to this thread are ******* illogical, until you mentioned Ellerslie Hops. That is good advice, presumably they are cheaper than craft brewer especially when buying 620 grams of Australian hops.

For the record I buy almost all of my hops from the USA.

Any other stuff I buy from who ever it makes sense to buy from for my own personal circumstances. Several different Australian places and International ones as well. I have zero loyalty to any shops, unlike you you hypocritical idiot.

Who's got his cranky pants on, then ?

...and now my weekend in about two month's time is going to be = (Awesome*Freshness)^BOOYAH!

Thata boy ! Im glad something good came out of my posts.

Ellerslie hops for the WIN !

As endorsed by Mark.

the guy that was trolled by silo ted <_<

How on earth is it trolling, when I'm suggesting that a Sydney brewer buy stuff from a Sydney store. That word is used so randomly these days.

Please stick to the subject Mark. This is about buying beer ingredients.

I thought it was about awesome weekend.

I'm going to Hobart for Tas. Beerfest, so bite me. :p

Back