You Know It's Going To Be An Awesome Weekend...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This. I buy records from the US, in B*ttF*ck Idaho generally, and they've managed to get them here from the other side of the world in 4 days. CB ordesr for me are normally a week, which is ok, and consistantly so seeing as I get 'em to grind my grain too, but if a barely professional record store in Idaho can get me nicely packaged records delivered to my door in the arse end of the world in 4 days, why can't a home brew shop in the anus (Qld) of the arsehole of the world get me my grain even faster? I bought a Portal LP from a record store in Brisbne once and it took a month to get to Sydney, Maybe they're all backwards up there?

Suspect the delays are on the packing side rather than delivery. My last order was on a Monday morning, got a call Thursday lunchtime saying one of the items was out of stock and did I want to wait or refund. Seems like they have more business than they can handle well right now.

So XavierZ, after all that, how did your Galaxy fest weekend turn out?

Just wondering, if you are in Sydney, why you wouldn't buy locally ? There are perfectly well equipped and longstanding stores in your own backyard, who are most knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. They even offer free or cheap shipping.

http://www.absolutehomebrew.com.au/ (free shipping over $120)
https://daveshomebrew.com.au/ (free shipping over $120)

And in one of the above examples, the web prices are nothing like the real prices if you go there yourself. Last time I went to Nth Sydney a couple of weeks back, I probably got 25% knocked off the overall price, something that happens for most customers.

I'll tell you why I don't bother with buying locally.
I basically buy 1 brews worth of ingredients at a time, so my last order from Craftbrewer was $37.41 plus $16.85 freight = $54.26
If I place that order with Absolute Homebrew it costs $47.55 + $9.50 freight = $57.05

I don't know about most folk, but St Marys is a bit of a bloody hike from my place and I can only get there on a Saturday, when I would rather be doing anything else than wasting 2hrs driving there and back.

I don't bother with Daves because I find his range to be fairly limited and I can't seem to get rid of the memory of my first trip there (before I started all-grain) when the young guy there sold me an unrefridgerated 12g pack of crusty old lifeless finishing hops that would make my beer taste "amazing". Also, Daves not only more expensive than Absolute ($30 for 5kg of MO? WTF??), but you can't buy on a "per gram" basis and I don't find the website particularly easy to navigate.

Craftbrewer = great prices and prompt service. Ross has been really helpful both via email and phone on a number of occaisions
If I want overpriced finishing hops and grain in 1kg non-vacuum bags, I'll just go to a Country Brewer instead.

Edit: I should probably say that IF I was independantly wealthy and IF I had no workday obligations, then yes, I would likely schmooze with the owners of the 2 major Sydney stores and buy in bulk etc etc.
Until I win lotto however, I will order a little at a time and make my small savings by buying through Craftbrewer, or sometimes, Grain & Grape.

troll-web1asd.jpg

At last, a post that makes sense

I basically buy 1 brews worth of ingredients at a time
<snip>

</snip>
Edit: I should probably say that IF I was independantly wealthy and IF I had no workday obligations, then yes, I would likely... buy in bulk etc etc.

Surely being light on cash and remote from a HB store would encourage you to buy in bulk? $50 for a brew sounds pricey to me. I just did a quick guesstimate of what I spent on brewing a double batch of IPA on the weekend, and it was around $30. I buy everything in bulk and the initial outlay saves money in the long run. Invest in a vacuum sealer and it pays for itself after the first bulk hop buy. Buy some test tubes and start up a yeast farm and it'll save even more. Not to mention the petrol and time that you save picking up ingredients.

Not that online stores don't have their place - I'm certainly not weighing into that argument - just wondering if it's more likely storage room that's preventing you from buying in bulk?

Surely being light on cash and remote from a HB store would encourage you to buy in bulk? $50 for a brew sounds pricey to me. I just did a quick guesstimate of what I spent on brewing a double batch of IPA on the weekend, and it was around $30. I buy everything in bulk and the initial outlay saves money in the long run. Invest in a vacuum sealer and it pays for itself after the first bulk hop buy. Buy some test tubes and start up a yeast farm and it'll save even more. Not to mention the petrol and time that you save picking up ingredients.

Not that online stores don't have their place - I'm certainly not weighing into that argument - just wondering if it's more likely storage room that's preventing you from buying in bulk?

Yup. Tiny 3rd floor apartment with a tiny shed crammed with the shit that won't fit in the apartment.
Once I have the room, I will buy grain in bulk and have a fridge that I can store yeast cultures in.
Until then, as I am limited to buying one brew at a time, I will stay with Craftbrewer.

It remains to be said though, that going off the figures I provided, Absolute Homebrew is 27% dearer (no, I'm not going to an in depth price comparrison of every item on both websites), so if I spend $120 with them to get my order freight-free, the same order with Craftbrewer is only going to cost me around $94. As long as the freight is under $26 then it remains cheaper than buying locally.

Oh yeah, and I wasn't feeding the troll. I think Silo Teds question was a serious one and warranted a response in kind.

Also, with the problems that some retailers are having competing with online sellers, you would think that your web prices would accurately reflect what you would pay if you went into store, maybe even cheaper. For fucks sake, how am I supposed to know that in order to qualify for a %50 discount, I must visit the store on a wednesday, between 3 and 4pm, wearing only 80's bogan clothing, wink at the owner and say a secret phrase? If the item is really $29.99, put that price on your website instead of $34.99 and I will buy the fucker!

what effect does putting the break from a biab into your fermenter and does a higher gravity than what you expected have any effect on your beer?

what effect does putting the break from a biab into your fermenter and does a higher gravity than what you expected have any effect on your beer?

Higher gravity than expected will result in lower hop utilisation and you will lose some bitterness. Break in the fermenter I think is one of those highly debated things, but in my experience, it has no notable negative effects.

thanks i would have made a post but it wont let me for some reason

Silo ted's question was certainly valid.

The subsequent vitriol wasn't.

There's just too much negativity and everytime it comes up, it gets fed, instead of sticking to the core issues.

Buy local, even if it's more expensive - yeah, why not. Buy online interstate if it's cheaper - it's up to you.

Either way, to each their own, there's no need to flame the hell out of someone for having a viewpoint different to yours, or a different perspective on these things, and there seems to be way too much of that, and not enough acceptance of other's viewpoints and sharing of help and ideas.

The other major issue is the amount of people that post drunk - understandable given it's a beer forum. But if the greater internet scumbag theory is true- then how much more so when people are posting with their normal inhibitions reduced by a large amount of alcohol consumption.

One only had to see the_new_darren's posts last night for proof of that.

There's just too much negativity and everytime it comes up, it gets fed, instead of sticking to the core issues.

Buy local, even if it's more expensive - yeah, why not. Buy online interstate if it's cheaper - it's up to you.

Either way, to each their own, there's no need to flame the hell out of someone for having a viewpoint different to yours, or a different perspective on these things, and there seems to be way too much of that, and not enough acceptance of other's viewpoints and sharing of help and ideas.

The other major issue is the amount of people that post drunk - understandable given it's a beer forum. But if the greater internet scumbag theory is true- then how much more so when people are posting with their normal inhibitions reduced by a large amount of alcohol consumption.

I see.

:icon_offtopic:
Sadly, I have had TND on block for a long time, so can't comment there.

Yep, some good points there Raja.

Just whilst its remotley on topic, heres my viewpoint:
I dont and wont shop ever at coles, woolies, aldi, or IGA, except to buy bog paper, bakers yeast, burrito wraps. Only things that start with B. WOO internet forum!

LOL... It was FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Sweet - I'm really liking galaxy, especially when partnered with Citra.

I'm planning when I can find the time, to do a light flavoured summer quaffer (think sundown lager x corona) with galaxy at 10m just for a hint of fruit.

Then a massive whopping big APA/AAA - massive, 1.060 or above for OG, lots of hops (likely Galaxy will have a say there) and stuff trying to find a low ABV% version of my house APA.

That way everyone will be sorted.

Goomba

LOL
You`d have more chance of stuffing melted butter up a live porkupine`s arse with a red hot needle than stopping shit fights here. :lol:

Back