Yet another opening keg question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I've got a couple LOOD kegs.

D types.

I've watched a dozen u tubes and still can't get them open,

I've got the circlip out. Can see how the 2 dollar coin and coupler depress the spring further.

Cannot for the life of me, twist the spear to any point where I can lift it to use the coin tricks.
I've banged and wrenched on the lugs with all manner of tool combos but can only get about 3mm turn...

Ideas?

I want to remove spears only and use triclamps.

LOOD kegs ? , just googled it out of interest but all that comes up is your question.
Pics please.

lift spear upwards first to break the seal, use a screwdriver spanned etc to help do it.
keep lifting up and spin clockwards (not anti-clockwards) till it stops
drop it down wards, then keep winding clockwards

mandatory: add swear words

LOOD - Legally Obtained Officially Decommissioned.

thanks QldKev, will give it a shot tomorrow. when you say lift it, you mean pull it upwards? are we talking 2-3mm, 5-10mm or 10-20?

i may even throw in some strategic tongue poking with the swear words

yep D type .

even though i know i've released all the pressure i'm still wearing a face shield.

I had a similar situation recently, and I used 2 big screwdrivers that i didn't care about, one to lift the lip of the dip tube, the other to lever and bend the lip, then a pair of pliers to grab the dip tube.

I managed to remove the now damaged dip tube, and the springs, however I'm still unable to remove or unscrew the remaining housing/opening piece

Thanks qld kev. Knowing it was clockwise to undo was the key.

Engaged the coupler wiggled and lifted and turned clockwise, then removed coupler and inserted coin to finish.

Gotta line up that 5 star element now.

Back