Opening An 'a' Type 50l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood88

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Struggling opening an 'A' Type 50L keg.
Ive disengaged the spear so it drops down and hits the bottom.
But what ever i try i cant twist the top, if there a trick to doing this or should you be able to do it with your hands?

Cheers

as per a previous forum:

"I worked out the kegs.
They are the ones with the flat metal center and rubber ring in the center.
You push down on the rubber ring against the spring preasure, lift the metal center at the same time and twist it to disengage the spear.
Then you just unscrew the top and the lot comes out.

the center spear has a 3 pin rotating locking system and one of the pins is extended to make it dificult to remove the spear.
Easy
just file it down so it still locks in but can be easily removed and installed each time by simply screwing the main top of the spear assembly."
thanks to Grumpy's forums for the info.

I've tried it and now have two working 50lt kegs with removable tops.
Enjoy!

If you can do it with your hands we arent ever going to arm wrestle!

I use a stilson, large multigrips or if the top has a hole drilled near the edge, the blade tool for my 9 grinder works, whatever is closest usually.

MHB

yer thought that might be the case lol
The one i got has a hole on the edge but i tried putting a large hole punch on the side and hitting it with a mallet but it doesnt budge at all.
Its meant to go anti-clockwise right?

Thanks

Isn't there an entire thread dedicated to this? With pics?
Nfi where it is though

That's the one fellas. Stupid iPhone I'm on.

There u go Woody

I got this from Gokegging ebay store, works a treat.
Type A keg opener.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

Crusty

thanks for everyone's reply's
that looks like a handy tool crusty.

Ill have another try at it this afternoon.

Cheers

I got this from Gokegging ebay store, works a treat.
Type A keg opener.

<snip>

DSC_0069.jpg

Crusty

Crusty, there's mention of a "lug" in a previous post that should be ground off of the spear, I assume that that is what runs in the key way visible in the above pic? If so do you have to remove it if you use the proper keg key or????

I only ask as I have two type A kegs and want to keep the spear as near original as possible.....

i used a punch in that little hole and tapped it around as mine were very tight..... and i don't have that tool

once you get it moving it screws out nice.

some seem to have that lug some don't if it does you need to drop the spear in before you screw out (well i had to)

cut the lug off asap... PITA

edit : degass the keg 1st....

Crusty, there's mention of a "lug" in a previous post that should be ground off of the spear, I assume that that is what runs in the key way visible in the above pic? If so do you have to remove it if you use the proper keg key or????

I only ask as I have two type A kegs and want to keep the spear as near original as possible.....

Thomas,

I ground off the lug with a grinder so I could just screw the whole spear in & out.
I got a mate to use multigrips & push down hard on the rubber seal around the spear. This exposed the small round bit that I grabbed with another set of multigrips. I think I lifted it a little & turned it anticlockwise & it fell to the bottom of the keg. Once it was all out, I ground off one lug & it works great.

the groove is the burst point for the square ring seal,just remove the spear and file the protruding lug off then it can be removed and replaced in one piece.

Latest posts

Back