Yeast Starter - Using Non-brewing Liquid Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XavierZ

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in a bind and cannot get to one of my LHBS for some DME for a yeast starter.
Do you think there's going to be any issues if I make a starter from a can of non-brewing malt extract from the supermarkets?
I believe the liquid malt extract is for the likes of milkshakes and such.

Hey all,

I'm in a bind and cannot get to one of my LHBS for some DME for a yeast starter.
Do you think there's going to be any issues if I make a starter from a can of non-brewing malt extract from the supermarkets?
I believe the liquid malt extract is for the likes of milkshakes and such.

I have used the Saunders brand from supermarket many times, works fine, however i dont add the whole starter, i chill and decant 90% of the liquid and just pitch the slurry.

Funnily enough if you search the interwebs there are some aussie bush type recipes that use that extract exclusively...i dont want it in my AG wort though.

Does your local supermarket stock beer kits? Could use that if so, get the blandest kit possible

Does your local supermarket stock beer kits? Could use that if so, get the blandest kit possible

I was thinking getting a kit, but don't really have any way to store it.
At least with a can of NB-LME I can close the tin up.

As you said Beer4U, I also decanter and use only the slurry of a starter.

My local Big W sells coopers LDME. That may be an option if there is one near you.

At least with a can of NB-LME I can close the tin up.

As you said Beer4U, I also decanter and use only the slurry of a starter.

Could measure it out in to the amounts you'd use & freeze it in some take away containers, use it exclusively for starters

My local Big W sells coopers LDME. That may be an option if there is one near you.

Would like to, however, they'll be closed. Oh and when I say LHBS, I include BigW LOL :lol:

Since SWMBO is teaching in the country :party: till year end and taken my car away with her :icon_offtopic:, time is now of the essence. :blink:

I use a layer of cling-wrap and then the plastic lid and store the half-used tin of goo in the fridge, for months without problem.

I use a layer of cling-wrap and then the plastic lid and store the half-used tin of goo in the fridge, for months without problem.

Sounds like a plan then. I've got till Christmas before I hear "Get rid of this beer can thing in here!"

Is Saunders malt powder still available at Coles or Safeway? I'm yet to find it at my locals and have read a few threads stating it works fine for brewing, and is pretty cheap too.

EDIT: Was cheap 2 years ago. Is now around $20 kg

Back