Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant@thebay

Reaction score
G'day everyone.

I've read that packs of yeast are best to be stored in the fridge. So if the place I'm buying my ingrediants from isn't storing their packs of yeast in the fridge, does that mean they won't be much better quality then the kit yeast?

I'm keen to try different yeast, but the only shop I've got that's close by just has their packs of yeast sitting on the shelves.

Like I say, I'd like to try different yeast, but if they're not goin to be much better quality then the kit yeast, I'd prefere to spend my money on other ingrediants.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Ant

Liquid yeasts definately need to be stored in the fridge.

Packet (dry) yeasts - I would be leaning towards only using ones that have bee nstored in the fridge. However saying that, many K&K have their yeast under the lid, are end up turning out fine.

I would suggest any specific yeasts (not under the goo tin lid) should be in the fridge.

2c.

Check the date on the yeasts in the shop if they aren't in the fridge. Where they are sitting also makes a difference - you're looking for them on a nice dark shelf, or at least one out of direct sun and towards the back of the shop. If its up front in a window display put your running shoes on.

Perhaps ask if they have any in the fridge - the local only keeps one pack of each type of hops and yeast on the shelf so you can see what they have in stock in their fridges.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks for the advice guys.

The place I go to isn't really a home brew shop. It's more a tabaconist that sells a bit of home brew gear. So they store their products about as well as they give advice!

After checking out Craft Brewer, I think I'll start gettin some better quallity ingrediants from shopping online, and at a better price too!

Thanks again.

Cheers.
Ant

Thanks for the advice guys.

The place I go to isn't really a home brew shop. It's more a tabaconist that sells a bit of home brew gear. So they store their products about as well as they give advice!

After checking out Craft Brewer, I think I'll start gettin some better quallity ingrediants from shopping online, and at a better price too!

Thanks again.

Cheers.
Ant

Good choice and if your not mashing give one of there fresh wort kits a go with a good yeast and you wont be dissapointed :)

Back