Yeast Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBS

Reaction score
After a couple of days my sg has not changed.i used the yeast that came with the can which i rehydrated,the problem being that the yeast looked a bit dodgy but i used it anyway.Can i add another type/brand of ale yeast to my wort without any major probs.Can it be saved?

Cheers Jon

What temp is it sitting at?
Is there airlock action?
Can you see the yeast at work on the top of the wort?

I'd say don't panic just yet, I wouldn't expect any readable difference in two days.

I'd say add some more yeast. You can definitely add more yeast with no problem. Kit yeasts can sometimes be damaged by having been in the heat or being a bit old. Use the same or another yeast that's good for that beer style. What kit was it? (Your LHBS will be able to advise as well.)

Kit yeast can vary in its performance mainly due to how fresh it is. There would be no harm in adding more of the same yeast or a similar variety.

it was ultimate home brew english bitter using morgans ale yeast,i have some safale us-56 so i guess i will try it.Also have yeast that came with morgans bitter could try it.Thanks for the advice fellas

Cheers Jon

Go with the yeast from the Morgans bitter kit. It'll probably give you more the flavour profile for a bitter than the US56 will.

what type of yeast would you suggest if i were to do the same brew again?

Probably safale S-04 is the most widely available dry yeast that would be good with a bitter. There are a number of other dried, but ask at your LHBS or try online. You can also go for a liquid yeast, but maybe try using some dried for a few brews first if these are your first brews. White labs and Wyeast both have good liquid yeasts but you have to pay for what you get. B)

the problem being that the yeast looked a bit dodgy but i used it anyway.

Cheers Jon

Jon, In what way did it look dodgy??

Very rare for a dried yeast not to fire eventually...

cheers Ross

I have had the problem in the past also, I think I can put that down to miss judging the temp of the wort when I pitched the yeast. Basically the wort was warmer then I thought and killed the yeast, I repitched the next day or so with new yeast and all went well. I have also had an incident were the dry yeast was DOA so these days I try to reuse my yeast as much as I can. Working on keeping yeast under distilled water to increase its lifespan, it all apart of learning.

Latest posts

Back