Yeast Pitching Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glaab

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm about to start a 46 litre batch of Coopers Heritage Lager [2cans] andwill put the fermenter in the fridge at 12C. My first question is, is that the best temp to ferment lager? Also,I don't know if the Coopers yeast will work that cold so I've bought some SAFLAGER S23.
Can I get away with using one packet of yeast? Will it work if I re-hydrate it and then put it in a pyrex container with some pre-boiled, cooled dextrose for a few hours before I throw it into the fermenter? Maybe I'm a tight-arse but $14 for 2 pkts of yeast seems a bit rich to me.If I can manage with 1 pack it'll save me some $$$ in the long run.
Also, would WYEAST Danish lager yeast or something else be a better choice?, I haven;t been brewing long [obvious, i know] and because I expect it will be at least a month or so before I can keg it so I want tto try and get it right [or at least acceptable] first time.

Thanks for any pointers,

Cheers, Chris.

No.

If you are going to pitch at 12C you will probably need 4 packets of s23....

2 packs is enough for a lager. or use 1 packet and make a starter. that saves money. of save the slurry/yeastcake and reuse.

yes the wyeast would be a better choice, but you would probably need a heap of it. 4-5 packs at least. I'd stick with the dry.

Assuming you're OG isn't something abnormal (say 1.048 I think is a safe assumption). The Pitch rate calculator on the MrMalty website says you need around 800bn yeast sells. This like 8-9 packs of wyeast! or you can make a series of starters to get there as well.

I reckon just go with the dry, especially for youre first try. 2 packs is enough for a lager if you're doing a single batch, the pitch rate calculator says 45g of dry yeast, which is about 4 packs.

You could get away with pitching 2-3 if you pitch it warm (say 18-19C) wait for it to show signs of fermentation (a few bubbles rising to the surface, or a burp from the airlock) then chill it to 8-12C.

You could get away with pitching 2-3 if you pitch it warm (say 18-19C) wait for it to show signs of fermentation (a few bubbles rising to the surface, or a burp from the airlock) then chill it to 8-12C.

I'd agree with that, but if you want to pitch the yeast cool (which is better IMHO) then you'd want 4 packets of dry yeast (about 45-50 grams total).

Back