Yeast harvesting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chridech said:
Thanks for this tip! What is the reason for topping up with fresh wort? Does this improve the yeast's long term viability?

Yes. It gives the yeast nutrients whilst it is in storage. Alc is a yeast waste by-product that is eventually toxic to yeast and helps make it mutate. This is why I also only make yeast starters with 1020 SG wort

Do you think you could be selecting for more cold-tolerant ale yeast (with different characteristics) with successive generations?

No. Yest is still active even at fridge temps. Temperature really only affects how fast yeast works. ( and can affect flavours depending on what temp they are working at but that is a seperate issue ) Ale/Lager yeast will work up to 40*c.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yes. It gives the yeast nutrients whilst it is in storage. Alc is a yeast waste by-product that is eventually toxic to yeast and helps make it mutate. This is why I also only make yeast starters with 1020 SG wort
This is also why I only do my starters for 24-48 hours before the alcohol production sets in.

Yep. Lots of brewers forget that Alc mutates yeast over time.

You dont need high SG to make starters

Benn said:
Att: Rocker,
Any chance you can link that article of Feldons you mentioned earlier in this thread?
I'll have a look for it later after work, today is a mad rush and I have no time :lol:

Back