Yeast for Australian Sparkling Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danicomix

Reaction score
Hi, i'd like to brew an australian sparkling ale..I have some doubt about the yeast...what do you prefer? I have no experience with Australian Sparkling Ale!!!
Wyeast 1098 british ale or Wyeast 1312 london Ale III?
Thanks
Daniele

Pretty much the same answers as you got in your last thread on the subject.
Here are a couple of links from Coopers that might help
Coopers Sparkling Ale
FAQ Yeast from Coopers Bottles
I think if all that is too hard I would use a dry yeast wither Saf S-04 or Nottingham would work well.
Mark

...but in the last thread I haven't ask for the yeast but only for the grist!!!
Thanks for the link and for the suggests!!!

There are distributors in some neighbouring countries; they might be able to tell you who sells it closer to you.
Mark

FRANCE
Company
Southern Cross Beverages
Address
33 Place Louise De Bettignies, Lille, France, 5900
Telephone: +33 (0) 642 790 511
Fax: +33 (0) 359 350 375
Email: [email protected]

SWITZERLAND
Company
Amstein SA
Address
Z. I. La Verya, St Legier VD, 1806, Switzerland
Telephone: + 41 21 943 51 81
Fax: + 41 21 943 50 53

There are distributors in some neighbouring countries; they might be able to tell you who sells it closer to you.
Mark

FRANCE
Company
Southern Cross Beverages
Address
33 Place Louise De Bettignies, Lille, France, 5900
Telephone: +33 (0) 642 790 511
Fax: +33 (0) 359 350 375

SWITZERLAND
Company
Amstein SA
Address
Z. I. La Verya, St Legier VD, 1806, Switzerland
Telephone: + 41 21 943 51 81
Fax: + 41 21 943 50 53

Thanks!
I try to contact them!!!

But about my yeast proposal..what do you think?
Thanks Daniele

I’m sure culturing up Coopers Sparkling can be fun, and you can enjoy the hard-to-get (for you) beer. But can you get White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale? I’ve not used it but apparently it’s the same strain as Coopers.
I enjoy S-04. Not the same but it’s a good yeast. I’m sure you’ll make good beer one way or another.

I find it very fruity, Coopers is fairly clean with malt well forward.
W 1318 will throw lots of esters if its just a smidge warm, its the go to yeast for those brewing NEIPA's if that gives you any clues. Perhaps if you brewed as cool as you could it will be a bit more restrained.
Personally I would choose something else, but then its a matter of what you can get your hands on. I'm a big fan of W 1099 and W 1968, but again personal taste and availability.
Mark

It would ferment it very well but it's not the yeast they use in their beers, which is why they recommend culturing from their bottles, if you can get their mild ale that is the best one to use.

I'm aware it's not the same, that's why I ask. Here in Europe Coopers are rather rare, so I'll have to find alternative ways to find yeast. I have access to Coopers orginal dry yeast or alternatively I could use an English strain like Nottingham or S-04.

You might try to find the White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale Yeast. I have used it with great success in Australian Sparkling Ales. There is a rumour that it's the yeast Coopers uses, but, apart from that, it's very good. I also second the culturing from Coopers bottles.

The English ale strains may give you a close flavour, I have only used Wyeast 1099 once in a very odd brew so wouldn't comment on it yet, I have used their Yorkshire ale yeast 1469 a fair bit in English bitters and I think it is my favorite though I don't think it will be anything like the coopers yeast, I have used WLP 029, Burton ale a fair bit too, it doesn't produce as much flavour as 1469. I have used Nottingham a few times and that produces some good esters if you let it warm up a bit but it is a lively fermenter and high attenuator. S-04 I have used a bit too but don't think that it produces much by way of esters, maybe if you did it on the warm side it would.

All the above English strains will flocculate well which again might not make a beer like Coopers.

WLP009 is said to be Coopers yeast, I would try and get hold of that, otherwise I would probably go with the Nottingham and mash high, 68-69 to keep the wort less fermentable.

I've no real experience of the coopers kit yeast but as they say to culture from their bottles I don't think it would be very close.

Verdant might be a good choice, I've tried it in bitters, American pale ales and Pacific ale, I didn't prefer the esters it brought and have gone back to my regular yeasts for those beers. I have no experience with London ale yeast

Reading through this thread I have punctuation overload. Is there a reason for it??? !!!!

Back