Yeast equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm about to step in to the world of splitting my yeast packs to try and save a few bucks here and there and also hsve a little bit more of a hand in the production of my beer. Just curious as to what test tubes people use. I see on ebay you can get 25 for under $4. I picked up a few glass flasks and have a cooling fan and stir bars on the way to rig up a DIY stir plate. Anything else you could suggest that would help? Thanks

theres a bulk buy thread run by MartinOC.. fabulous

send him a PM if you cant find it..

got a link to the tubes on ebay? you want ones that are autoclavable and you might want to look into the 'lets freeze some yeast' thread :ph34r:

For sizes - I've got a whole bunch of 50ml tubes with only 5 - 10ml of yeast in them from splitting fresh packs (you get about 20 - 30ml of compact yeast from white labs, not sure about wyeast). As a result I'm running out of space in the freezer.

So for splits - I'd advise getting a bunch of smallish ones (10 - 20ml) and then some larger ones (50ml) for storing the results of a split-from-starter, or yeast cake wash.

As Yob mentioned, autoclavable is key. While I don't autoclave, I do steam the fkshit out of em. Those pretty White Lab tubes (preformed PET bottles) go alien vs prawn cracker if you try to steam them!!!! :ph34r:

And get the ones with molded graduations... I've got some with white markings on the sides that are beginning to wear off.

You will probably want to split a 100ml pack into 4.

From this, I usually turn 30 odd ml (25 billion cells) (the extra comes from the nutrient pouch I think) into a 200ml starter (making 50 billion?), then into a 1.4-1.6 L starter to get a pitch of 250 billion to 300 billion for a 25 L batch at my average gravity.

It is also common for me to grow 25 billion into 50 billion, then split and grow 2 steps again for the two 25L batches (50L) I usually produce and pitch together. Edit: this way you get 8 25L batches from a single pack of liquid yeast, with little risk of yeast mutation problems.

2nd edit: When you finish the steps, let the yeast settle out so you can pour off the excess used starter wort - especially if it is oxidized e.g. on a stirplate.

So, 50 odd ml tubes are pretty good, especially for separating a 1st step starter into 2 for commencing growing a double yeast batch.

BTW, I reuse my tubes, Disan clean and then starsan sterilize.

I use the Brewers Friend pitch rate calculator to work out the maths.

I have a jet lighter that I use for heat sterilising the lips of flasks (500ml, 2L and two 5Ls), a decent size pressure cooker, and sample jars LS20S-060L

https://proscitech.com/?navaction=show_page&chapter=l&page=10

they're 60ml so I usually make a large enough starter (typically 5L) that I can fill two or three of these- the yeast usually only comes to half way.

Edit- I don't sterilise (pressure cook) the sample jars, but I do when using small ball mason jars for collecting yeast/trub straight from fermentor. I don't do that often admittedly, I prefer to make a 2L starter from a smack pack, ferment that out, step it to 5L and then collect yeast from that and pitch the rest into the batch.

Latest posts

Back