Yeast Conundrum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
So I'm brewing on this loverly evening and the yeast I had doesn't seem to be lively. I've had to sitting in warm water for a good 30+ minutes and I'm used to US05 sprouting a nice head of foam. Being a generic yeast from the LHBS I figure it might just be dead yeast.

If not that's great but I'm not to know. I've got a few options. Chuck some WB06 wheat yeast in to the Ginger beer and see what craziness happens. Let it cool in the fermenter till i can get more yeast tomorrow. Or wing it with the docile generic LHBS yeast.

Thoughts? I'm all ears.

Edit: Added a couple of pictures and plugged the hole with a wicked cool band aid.

04022010114.jpg

04022010112.jpg

is there an expiry date on the yeast? what brand/style of yeast is it?
I've noticed the temperature of the water plays a big role in hydrating dry yeast. what temp is the water?

I'd just chuck in the yeast as is. Every yeast is different and this one might not foam up like US05 does

EDIT: just noticed u added pictures. That looks like a lot of water for rehydrating dry yeast... normally its 10 times its weight in water yeah? so ~11.5gm * 10 = 115ml of water? but that wont kill it... just might affect the amount of foaming up

Nope dude no expiry. It's a generic dried yeast from TWOC/Deliverance. Link
Temp is 28C.

I figure I killed it some how which is no biggy but winging it is cool.

If its any consolidation I have a weizen brewing at the moment and my yeast looked similar to your pic when I was re hydrating it, not much action. I threw it in anyway and within a couple of hours it was away. The yeast I was using was W34/70

EDIT: just noticed u added pictures. That looks like a lot of water for rehydrating dry yeast... normally its 10 times its weight in water yeah? so ~11.5gm * 10 = 115ml of water? but that wont kill it... just might affect the amount of foaming up

Really there's a limit to how much water you need? Far out I never even new that. Ok well I figure I'm going to dump this yeast in there and if it is dead when I add more yeast to it later it'll just act as a nutrient.

I tried this out of the fermenter and I want it so bad. It's just the right amount of sweetness and I'm not sure if it's the chilli or the ginger but it's got a nice zing to it.

Personally I think the wb06 could work well.
I've always understand that the presence of wheat helps the yeast give the esters they are known for, so you might not get them so strong.
Regardless I think the spicy clove etc, rather than strong banana, that wb06 gives could work well with a chilli ginger beer

I ended up using the wheat yeast. I'd love to tell you it tastes great but I ran out of gas last night. Until I get more after work my tasting report will have to wait.

Ginger beer with a wheat yeast? It's so crazy it might just work. :wacko:

Hi Pete whats the recipe for that ginger beer of yours

The recipe goes like;

Home Grown South Perth Honey x 1kg
Light Malt 1kg
Dextrose 0.5kg
Maltodextrin 0.5kg
Ginger x 1kg
Lemons x 2
Limes x 2
Chilli x 1

I wonder if this is considered a Braggot or a Metheglin. Link
Meads made with both honey and malt providing flavor and fermentable extract. Originally, and alternatively, a mixture of mead and ale.
A mead made with the addition of spices or herbs.

It's only 1/3 honey so probably not ;)

thanks mate I will make that soon it sounds great

Well I cracked it open and it takes like crap. I'm never making it without dark brown sugar again.

Way too weak. The ginger is great but there's no flavours. Could have been the wheat yeast as well but finishing at 1.010 was a mistake.

Latest posts

Back