Mangrove Jacks M42 New World Strong Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MJ have 15, fermentis have 13 (including two new ones).

I have read that MJ yeasts are produced in Ellesmere Port in England. I can't verify this but I've come across several references stating that MJ products are manufactured in England for MJ. Fermentis yeasts are produced in mainland Europe. I think it's obvious anyway from studying the two yeast ranges, and from the yeasts I've used, that they are not the same.

Wouldn't surprise me, I just don't believe that Mangrove Jack or Crossmyloof have developed their own yeast strains, got to be getting them from some where.

Wouldn't surprise me, I just don't believe that Mangrove Jack or Crossmyloof have developed their own yeast strains, got to be getting them from some where.

I have read that CML yeasts also come from the Ellesmere Port factory. But I've read they come from Germany too. Dangers of believing the internet.

some feedback for M42 here:
I was very enthusiastic about M42's fast fermentation so I made a busy schedule for my Christmas brews.
Made 1.048 american amber, pitched the yeast at 18 celsius. It started bubbling after 13 hours and kept that was till Day 3. Then it stopped and I decided work is finished. Gravity check after 7 days - 1.016! Same today (9th day). Temperature was perfect in 17.5-19.5 celsius range all the time
That's my batch #24, so I dont think I made some crucial mistake or anything different. I've made same recipe with Notty, it went down to 1.011. The only thing that is actually changed this time was that I didnt filter the wort after boil and dumped everything in my fermenter.
Now I plan to raise the temperature to 21 celsius.
Anyone with similar experience?

Strange? I've found it to be a good attenuator and often will use it in place of M44, because I just like it.

Anything mash temp that might be the cause? Notto is a pretty hungry yeast, either way, and I've ended up mashing at 72 degrees just to get Notto to calm down.

Anything mash temp that might be the cause?

I mashed at 65 Celsius, as usual (and maybe even lower, because I'm a cooler BIAB brewer and I make only single step mashing, and temp probably goes even lower at the end while filtering).

Anyway, Im pretty sure M42 is great attenuator as reported multiple times over the web. It just stucked somehow for me. I raised the temp to 20 C, swirled it a bit and still nothing. I'll cold crash it and keg as it is.
And of course I'll use M42 again and again till it works :) Will report in a month

Back