Wheres the krausen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalGiraffe

Reaction score
I've put down a ginger beer using the popular recipe off the forums (the name escapes me at the moment) All ginger, honey, brown sugar, lemons, limes, cinnamon, yeast nutrient... I pitched a pack of US05 and there was no action for close to 3 days. Temp was held steady at 22 degrees. The last ginger beer I made using US05 had a crazy krausen on top. I dropped in another sachet of US05 and gave it a hit of oxygen but still no krausen, the gladwrap over the top looks to have a bit of a dome so I'm guessing it may be fermenting away? I'll take a gravity reading in a few days but is it possible for a ginger beer to ferment out with no krausen?

Proteins in beer/wort are mostly responsible for the krausen.

While fermenting ginger beer and cider may display some foaming, you won't get anywhere near the same as malt barley beer.

Yes, it can ferment with no Krausen. When I started brewing extact kits, I never even knew what krausen was until I shifted to all grain.

Take a reading if you're really worried.

Cheers guys,

The last one I did a few years back was from a tin. It foamed more than any beer that I've ever brewed, was topping up the airlock every few hours. Will take a reading tonight.

Fingers crossed it's doing its thing as its for the mother in law!

Just in case anyone else experiences this, the ginger beer is fermenting away nicely and is almost done. Initial taste test from the sample was great. I can't wait to get this into a keg for NYE.

Cheers!

i haven't done it since i started all grain, but for a while I was doing a kit ginger beer with extra ginger, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, cloves, and chilli. Should do it again.

Back