Yeast Container Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember BOILED IS NOT STERILE!

I do them just like slants - put water in them, loosen the caps, put in pressure cooker (ie autoclave) and sterilise.
Very easy and convenient when you do a heap of tubes at once. I find it handy to always have a few tubes or schott bottles on hand with sterile water, never know when you need them.

Hoops

Just repeating what Hoops said. Even boiling for 30 minutes is not sterile.

Go the pressure cookers.

Or let's all go around to JGriff's place, we can sterilise whole brews with his shiney autoclave.

the force is strong - useless to resist - count me in for 100...

Hoops said:

I do them just like slants - put water in them, loosen the caps, put in pressure cooker (ie autoclave) and sterilise.
Very easy and convenient when you do a heap of tubes at once. I find it handy to always have a few tubes or schott bottles on hand with sterile water, never know when you need them.

Hoops
[post="72809"][/post]​

This is a link from somewhere else on the forum, I think. :unsure: It should also do the job. Use Me

:beer:

ozbrewer 200
Peter shane 100
Mobrien 100
Hoops 100
Bonk 100
Brizbrew 100
Ross 100

ok so far its 800......

Coodgee and Batz, youll need some after i show you how?????

Hoops said:

Hoops
[post="72809"][/post]​

Ah isn't democracy and open debate a great thing :beer:

How many of you people autoclave your beer before pitching? How many megabreweries autoclave their beer before pitching? Its none.

Sure boiling doesn't sterilise but the main mesage is that it has to kill only the organisms that will cause problems. You can boil/pressure cook the bejeezus out of you starter but as soon as you open that tube it WILL be exposed to air (even in front of a flame).
Remember AIR IS NOT STERILE. HANDS ARE NOT STERILE. Unless you do all your transfers under a sterile laminar flow you will get moulds growing on your "pressure" cooked cultures (damn that oxygen).
If you have problems with infection look at all your process.
Follow the 20/80 rule.
cheers
Darren the doubter

ozbrewer 200
Peter shane 100
Mobrien 100
Hoops 100
Bonk 100
Brizbrew 100
Ross 100

ok so far its 800......

Coodgee and Batz, youll need some after i show you how?????

I need to bump this as it keeps getting hijacked....surely Darren you know how to start a new thread???

I have 100 already thank Oz

yeah but to be a real brewer you need 200???????

and a march pump :)

ozbrewer said:

[post="72931"][/post]​

:D :lol: :lol:

PeterS....

ozbrewer said:

[post="72931"][/post]​

Oz, if that's a free offer then I accept. :party: Thank you very much. Is my march towards march pump happiness finally over?
Don't bother to post, I will collect. :beerbang:

Another edit. ---- I hope that this will not be classified as off-topic.

:beer:

did we have a topic?

whats a march pump

who stole my tablets

ok i need to bump it again cos now im getting silly........

come on, any more for any more, im hoping ill get a better price, I gt an email tonight from anothersupplier, maybe a better price break at 2000, and if thats the case i will get 500 for myself, and for anyone that needs them in the future, its still to be confirmed but they are looking at being about $25 per hundred

ok I'm in for 100.
But is 15mls enough yeast slurry to step up a couple of days out from brew day? As I just plan to spilt my first Wyeast starter into a few extras.

Darren said:
Hoops said:

Hoops
[post="72809"][/post]​

Ah isn't democracy and open debate a great thing :beer:

How many of you people autoclave your beer before pitching? How many megabreweries autoclave their beer before pitching? Its none.

Sure boiling doesn't sterilise but the main mesage is that it has to kill only the organisms that will cause problems. You can boil/pressure cook the bejeezus out of you starter but as soon as you open that tube it WILL be exposed to air (even in front of a flame).
Remember AIR IS NOT STERILE. HANDS ARE NOT STERILE. Unless you do all your transfers under a sterile laminar flow you will get moulds growing on your "pressure" cooked cultures (damn that oxygen).
If you have problems with infection look at all your process.
Follow the 20/80 rule.
cheers
Darren the doubter
[post="72915"][/post]​
I think your reply is a bit off track here - we are talking about tubes of sterile water not wort, and certainly not the whole batch of wort. The topic here is to do with storing, streaking and slanting yeast. Surely your not suggesting I ditch the pressure cooker and just boil everything I use for storage/streaking/slants?
Also we are talking about long term storage so surely it's better to heat it in a pressure cooker than boil it?

Also what's the 20/80 rule?

Hoops

sorry oz

ozbrewer 200
Peter shane 100
Mobrien 100
Hoops 100
Bonk 100
Brizbrew 100
Ross 100
SJW 100

SJW, I have a starter ready to pitch in about 4-5 days from a slant, so 10mil or so from slurry shurly will be ready in a few days

[post="72915"][/post]​
I think your reply is a bit off track here - we are talking about tubes of sterile water not wort, and certainly not the whole batch of wort. The topic here is to do with storing, streaking and slanting yeast. Surely your not suggesting I ditch the pressure cooker and just boil everything I use for storage/streaking/slants?
Also we are talking about long term storage so surely it's better to heat it in a pressure cooker than boil it?

Also what's the 20/80 rule?

Hoops

sorry oz
[post="72993"][/post]​

If you have a pressure cooker no, don't ditch it and yes a good boil (20mins) particulaly of water will kill all the offending bugs. Pressure just reduces the amount of time required to achieve sterile conditions.
A pot with the lid on heats to more than 100 deg C. If you place your tubes in deep boiling water (ie almost completely submerged) for 20-30 mins it will be just as effective as pressure for 10 mins. You don't need a pressure cooker to store yeast under water. Water from the kettle is probably all you need.
If it were me culturing yeast I would be using glass tubes. Heat transfer across plastic is very poor.

The 20/80 rule is that 20% of the process causes 80% of the problems. Look after the 20% and you are a long way into making great beer.
cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back