Ghetto beer engine for under 10 bucks.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridges said:
Great article, have to ask how to pronounce the name of Cliff's business without getting slapped...
Haha, indeed. Translates from German as "brew art".

Brow koonst.

wide eyed and legless said:
Just do what you thought best to do with the napisan and a scrub, try some water through it if O/k buy this one.

www.masters.com.au/product/900004148/pressure-sprayer-4l

Then you can have a proper drink :)
I have one in the garage that I've been using with a chlorine solution to pre-spray the drive before I gurney it. Would it clean out sufficiently to use? I know chlorine is technically a poison but it is also used as a cleaner in the food industry.

Suppose there is only one way to find out.

I'll keep you's posted. (If I'm still alive)

$20 5L sprayer with $10 spray nozzle attached. The 5L nozzle was shit. Only modification was shortening the stem by about 4 inches. Looks awesome and beer that's only been in the bottle a week (no carbonation) tasted great. (Admittedly the first few tasted as if I was drinking them far too early but from about the 8th it was bang on).

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414748329.889795.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414748351.674023.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414748372.543006.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414748396.364097.jpg

pipsyboy said:
nice pics... I've exclusively used my unit for ales so far and am quite satisfied with the cost benefit ratio.

For me, somewhere around 10 pumps is sufficient for a pint when dispensing a longneck from 2L sprayer. The numbers I posted months ago were as I observed them, however pumping less has not had an adverse impact on the pour.

With a little experimentation, my low-carbonation technique (half the standard bulk prime quantity or 1 drop per longneck when I am really lazy) seems to produce quite pump-able ales that not only form a dense head nicely, they also have somewhat of a creamier aroma (to the point that some hoppier ales actually lose distinctive hoppy noses!).

Now I just need to be motivated to transition this ghetto beer engine practice to my dream of Angrams affixed to the bar...

Anyone found a decent 2Lt at Bunnings lately? I grabbed one but it was a brass nozzle and due to the way it was set up as soon and you put the tube in place and the nozzle wasnt dirrectly on the pump it wouldnt stop spraying!

Anyone have any thoughts on suitable 2-3L containers for a Valterra beer engine? I have a full keg dispensing setup, but a Valterra pump found its way into my cart on Amazon the other day.

I just bought some 10 & 20 litre polypins from The Plastic Man along with some 10 litre cubes, you would be better of with theses 5 litre, no need for co2 if you don't drink it all.

Jerry Can Collapsible 5LT - JCCOL5

Food grade water container that is easy to use which is also light & handy. Fully collapsible for space saving. Good in tool box of car in case of emergency or for camping trips. Includes handle and tap. Come in plastic bag for protection

Click on image for more views.

• Food Grade:

Yes

Colour:

Base - Clear
    Tap - Red / White

Volume:

5LT

Size (mm):

When Open - 180 x 180 x 220H
    When Flat - 170 x 170 x 60H

Lid:

Yes (Tap)

Other sizes:

JCCOL5 JCCOL10 JCCOL20

Video:

--

Can I ask what you paid for the 10lt WideEye?

Awesome, thanks for the info - will email them today.

Going to be at Masters later today anyway so will have a look for a 2Lt whilst I'm there as well for HandPump.

Diggs said:
Anyone found a decent 2Lt at Bunnings lately? I grabbed one but it was a brass nozzle and due to the way it was set up as soon and you put the tube in place and the nozzle wasnt dirrectly on the pump it wouldnt stop spraying!
I bought a 2L hand pump to kill weeds in the garden a few months ago and the fittings are the same. It must have been a different brand.

I had 22L of sub-par ESB that I really couldn't be bothered with bottling last weekend.
Got my mates around and bought a 5L sprayer and served it straight out of the secondary. The beer was at ambient (~10*C) and poured perfectly.
It was a far more satisfactory end to a beer I wouldn't have enjoyed a great deal from the bottle

Great news Alex, I did an ESB on Friday (no chill) so when it's ready I'll grab a 5lt for it and keg the rest.

I'm going to use pet bottles with mine. Going to use those carbonation caps that work with gas & liquid connections. They also have a dip tube on them so with that cut a touch short the beer should pass over the yeast as in a cask.

I picked up a cheap pump pot urn today as well, goign to give that a go see what it is like.

Nice work. I had a very similar experience with an ESB last year that I put in primed 2L bottles for secondary. The ghetto hand pump really gave a second life to what was otherwise not a favourite beer. I hadn't really thought about filling the pump from my secondary vessel.

As for the future project, I'm still working on the best way to import my Angram beer engine from the UK, when I do get around to it I have a bunch of the 5L collapsible water containers ready to dispense from.

Alex.Tas said:
I bought a 2L hand pump to kill weeds in the garden a few months ago and the fittings are the same. It must have been a different brand.

I had 22L of sub-par ESB that I really couldn't be bothered with bottling last weekend.
Got my mates around and bought a 5L sprayer and served it straight out of the secondary. The beer was at ambient (~10*C) and poured perfectly.
It was a far more satisfactory end to a beer I wouldn't have enjoyed a great deal from the bottle

Found the exact 2Lt sprayer in the OP at Masters.

Tahoose said:
I'm going to use pet bottles with mine. Going to use those carbonation caps that work with gas & liquid connections. They also have a dip tube on them so with that cut a touch short the beer should pass over the yeast as in a cask.
I found this in IGA this afternoon it might be useful for dispensing your beer.The dip tube is about 1cm off the bottom.

P6080119.JPG P6080122.JPG P6080113.JPG
P6080123.JPG

Back