Ghetto beer engine for under 10 bucks.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just set up my ghetto beer engine. Took less than five minutes. I'll be giving it a try tonight.

Thanks for the tip.

Well I gave it a shot.

Think I will need to work on my technique. Poured 2 coopers stouts. Nice thick head but not enough of it. One you work out how much pressure to pump in I think it should work nicely.

A fun little experiment tho

image.jpg

Great thread, thanks guys. I remember those Guinness syringes from when I was growing up in Dublin. I haven't thought about them in over 30 years. I think I might raid the kids medicine cabinet and have a go at one of those chocolate stouts I've got under the house. Thanks again for the tip. And the memories.

I used a nurofen one last night, had to really pump it quickly but worked ok.

rusty274 said:
Well I gave it a shot.

Think I will need to work on my technique. Poured 2 coopers stouts. Nice thick head but not enough of it. One you work out how much pressure to pump in I think it should work nicely.

A fun little experiment tho
How was the mouthfeel Rusty? I find that this is the real change in how you pour a beer with this piece of equipment. Adjusting the sparkler height in relation to the beer in the glass make a difference on how the pour turns out... in you want to incerase the head, sit the sparkler outlet in the head and it should increase. Also increase the pressure as you say.

Put one of these together the other day and just poured myself a golden ale using it. Have the 1ltr sprayer and fill up to about 500ml, 60-70 pumps and press down on the switch, it locks on and pours a perfect pint.

Silky smooth inch thick head in a pint glass. Love it.

Tahoose said:
Put one of these together the other day and just poured myself a golden ale using it. Have the 1ltr sprayer and fill up to about 500ml, 60-70 pumps and press down on the switch, it locks on and pours a perfect pint.

Silky smooth inch thick head in a pint glass. Love it.
60-70 pumps seems like a lot to me - is the 1L pump capacity that small? A ~700ml longneck dispensed from my 2L rig wouldn't need more than 15-20 pumps for a pint... The remainder might need another 20 or so at the most. I do like the lock on the switch but of course I've already had one incident where I've over-filled due to other distractions :unsure:

As it turns out I'll be doing a series of "test" dispenses, filled from 2 x 750ml longnecks, and was planning to report back here for those interested in the 2L sprayer as a baby party keg...

what sort of carbonation did you start with Tahoose? or did you just shake up the beer to loose some carbonation already present in the beer? 60-70 does seem like a lot.
fdsaasdf if you do report back can you also include what your starting carbonation was?

I'm yet to build my ghetto beer engine, but I thought I would have a crack at the syringe method mentioned. It worked a treat on my brown porter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407837613.867964.jpg

Alex.Tas said:
what sort of carbonation did you start with Tahoose? or did you just shake up the beer to loose some carbonation already present in the beer? 60-70 does seem like a lot.
fdsaasdf if you do report back can you also include what your starting carbonation was?
I'd say it was roughly at 1.8 volumes when it left the keg at 4c, by the time I'd left it opened on the bench for 30mins, I'm not really sure how much carbonation there would be and I'd put it at at least 8c.

Just had a go at an ESB that I bottled tonight. Had some dramas, had to laugh when I accidentally caught the trigger and sprayed beer 3m's across the kitchen.

I'm heading to bunnings tomorrow for a few bits and pieces, and one of these is on the menu.

Strangely excited about it!

I'm off to my garage to make this tonight. I've only had roundup, copper, basta, sulphur, whiteoil, malothion, pyrethrum, bordeaux mixture and mancozeb in my pumper. Do you think any residue will affect head retention? Yes I'm joking.

Setup mine on Friday afternoon and gave it a whirl. Put around 2L of a 3.5% APA into it from the keg (carbed at 1vol c02). Let the temperature rise up for 25 minutes. About a minute of pumping (maybe 45-60 pumps) and pour. I enjoyed the APA but cant wait to see the potential of malt driven beers. Pretty good idea and cheap setup for a $10 sprayer and $10 worth of vinyl tube.

I just bought my 1L sprayer from bunnings. When i opened it up I noticed a lot of oily lube around and inside the piston and chamber. How are we all cleaning it before use? Will just the usual napisan soak and scrub do the trick? I also noticed a little clear plastic restrictor plate just inside the nozzle. Shall I leave it in or out?

Just do what you thought best to do with the napisan and a scrub, try some water through it if O/k buy this one.

www.masters.com.au/product/900004148/pressure-sprayer-4l

Then you can have a proper drink :)

S.E said:
I think it was me that mentioned the Guinness syringe that came out before the widget. I remember getting them in Ireland but only for a short while, I was getting a bit worried that I might of imagined it so I googled it and came up with this web page it seems your pump is pretty near to the original compressed air/nitrogen system.

Here is the article:

Cliff Tanner, proprietor of Braukunst, a homebrew kegging and dispensing supplier in Carlton, Minn.,
Great article, have to ask how to pronounce the name of Cliff's business without getting slapped...

wide eyed and legless said:
Just do what you thought best to do with the napisan and a scrub, try some water through it if O/k buy this one.

www.masters.com.au/product/900004148/pressure-sprayer-4l

Then you can have a proper drink :)

Lol. Also able to serve everyone at the table without getting out of your chair...... :p

Back