Yeast blunder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brenn Gunn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on holidays so I've decided to try and get all my kegs filled, (14 of em in total, but 7 of em empty, though that number is rising,, I'm on holidays remember LOL). Anyways, I'm brewing 2 beers a day till I have all six fermenters filled. Brewed a german wheat, and an Alt bier yesterday and put both in settling cubes. Transfered the first the wheat beer to the fermenter today and added the bavarian wheat yeast as usually, but then observed how dark and coppery the wort looked. It was then that I realized it was actually the Alt bier, so I added the German ale yeast aswell. wtf, why not!

I have let a German wheat beer sit for 3 months once and found it to be very tart and sour, so I learnt that they are best drunk as soon as they carbonate. Is this sourness a result of the yeast or more a result of the wheat? I did drink some bottles of that same brew early and found them to be great.

My question is, am I better to try and drink the ale early like I do with german wheats, or should I let it mature?

What do guys think?

Like a lot of things in this game, the correct answer is "It depends"...

Anything with wheat in it will be tart & get more-so over time.

Best I can think of is to let it ferment-out, keg it & start drinking it early (as per your usual practice). If it starts getting away from your personal preferences, knock-off the keg quickly & chalk it up to experience. In the mean-time, you get to taste the beer as it develops (kegs are great for this!).

Interesting experiment, 'though :)

PS. Enjoy your holiday!

Back