Xxxx Vs Ted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Someone said there should be a poll! dangdangit!

• Toohey's Extry Dry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XXXX

• Knife To the Gut

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

juicefreakz

Reaction score
terrible vs. terrible.

you choose.

Although 'choice 3' is there, only choose it if you truly would rather it!! haha

I try to avoid either like the plague, and my drink of choice when out, if there is nothing better, is a coopers stout/pale black and tan....but on the rare occasions (as an Adelaidean) that coopers is unavailable, and between these 2, I consider xxxx to be the lesser of 2 evils. (although, on these rare occasions, its xxxx gold).
It's like being with a pro, though. Gotta be desperate in the first place, and then you feel all dirty afterwards. :lol:

This forum is really gone down hill, with crap like this being "Thread worthy"

So you expect us to actually Vote :huh:

If these were my only two choices I think I'd be designated driver for the night

If it depends on how far you can throw it, I vote for TED.
The longer neck gives your fingers a good purchase, so the bottle can get a nice rotating action as it leaves your wrist.
The sound of this baby smashing is priceless.

I think the choice depends on where I am.

Recently, two occasions spring to mind....

At a league match recently, many XXXX golds through the afternoon. A mate asked me if I hated drinking XXXX, or the other swill available. My answer, and honestly, no. I can't imagine drinking anything else at the footy. I'd love to sit down with a LCPA or similar, and do at home, but not there, not out of a plastic cup - and not for the price I'd be charged.

Went to a surf club recently which serves only swill and BUL 'imports' at ridiculous prices. I actually choose not to have a beer in these cases as I know I won't enjoy it, and will regret it from the first sip.

They have their place. Not at my place, but they have their place.

Only if XXXXgold counts as XXXX & not just bitter ;)

Something you mexicans :p are probably not aware of, but there is another XXXX that doesn't travel past the QLD border, AFAIK. It's called XXXX Draught, 4.5% ABV and is a darker smoother beer than XXXX heavy or Gold with more malt character and has far less carbonation. Paradoxically it is only available in bottles. I'll grab a bottle and post a piccie.

It's a good winter drinking beer as it's not fizzy and doesn't need to have the guts frozen out of it and probably tastes more like beers were in the 1950s when it was first introduced and no doubt still the same recipe. It's along the same lines as Tooheys Red before they castrated it recently.

I don't mind it as it doesn't have that mousey taste and goes down smooth. Lots of oldies drink it. Dont hold out much hope of Lion Nathan brewing it for much longer but you never know.

I don't mind TED occassionally. Used to hammer it down about 5 years ago and don't buy it anymore due to the higher price compared with other (some would say) rubbish beers. Haven't had a xxxx for about 10 years. Once was enough.

Just popped out to get a XXXX draught tallie to photo and drink and guess what: they don't make it any more according to Liquorland but it's still on the xxxx website.

xxxx.JPG

Strange. Anyway if it has been discontinued I might do a tribute brew with POR and Cluster hops.

I can't believe this many people would honestly prefer to be knifed in the gut. Oh well. I chose Ted.

Worst thread ever.

OK it deserves more thought, I went to the XXXX brewery in Milton and enjoyed... their Carbine Stout maybe a bit on the lightweight side fro a Stout but a nice drop. I also had their sparkling ale which was also nice. Much better than a TED I guess it shows there may be more to XXXX thn bitter and gold.

Shawn

(good luck finding either outside the brewery though :( )

Regularly get Carbine Stout from the RSL here. It's not a bad stout and 5.2% alcohol is a sneaky little drop. Also the XXXX from the wooden cask at the Brekky Creek is verrrry nice. Not in the same category as a pom real ale but not pasteurised and fresh as.

IMHO you can find heaps of better beers :huh:

Tooheys Extra Dry is mediocre and not worth buying.
XXXX is :icon_vomit: :icon_vomit: :icon_vomit:
I will take TED any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back