Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

single vs triple layer kettle

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by bravs, 17/10/19.

1. bravs

Posted 17/10/19
    Hi all,

I've been brewing for BIAB awhile now with a 50L pot but with 3 kids it's hard to find the time to keep the kegs filled so I'm looking to upsize to a 95L cheekypeak pot. I currently mash with an OTS element then boil with both element and burner running. Do I need a triple layer pot if I'm going to use a burner? I emailed Cheekypeak and they suggested the triple layer if you use a burner but I don't seem to have a problem currently using a single layer pot with a burner. I've looked through the threads single vs triple layer and there doesn't seem to be any real reason for the triple that I could see. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. soreba

BeardedDogz

Posted 17/10/19
    I have the 95L Cheeky Peak single bottom kettle and have used it with a gas burner for the last 2.5 years, no issue so far.
    The triple base kettle is better at spreading heat but i cheaped out as they are more expensive.

3. bravs

Posted 17/10/19
    Thanks mate, if it wasn't going to make a big difference I couldn't justify the extra cost. Looks like it will be the single base then.

JnR_Mc likes this.
  4. mongey

Posted 18/10/19
    I have their 50l in the triple and a high pressure burner it works great. Only thing I found at first is it holds allot of heat . I usually stop a few degrees short of mash temp as it keeps rising after I shut off the burner as the base stays hot longer., If I over shoot takes ages to cool down

I have been regretting not going up to a bigger size myself lately

5. bravs

Posted 18/10/19

Thanks, Yeah time is precious on weekends with the kids that's the reason for the bigger size. I wasn't sure if it would warp the bottom or something if it was a single layer and the cost difference will cover postage.

6. Markbeer

Posted 18/10/19
    Why not go single and all electric?

7. bravs

Posted 19/10/19
    I did think about that but wasn't sure if two 2200/2400w elements would be enough for a boil.

8. Markbeer

Posted 19/10/19
    2 elements boil 65 litres for me easily. You can insulate the pot if you go electric and go higher than this is imagine.

9. bravs

Posted 20/10/19