XXXX Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a hint of yeast in the bottle I tried but they did manage to get a very minimal amount of flavour in there, probably exactly the amount they were after.
Not a terrible beer, not a good beer, will certainly convince mega swillers that this craft beer fad is a load of bullshit.....most likely what the brewers want, I doubt there is any intention on this being a long term offering.

super_simian said:
I won't say it's not pasteurised, but I definitely saw a creamy yeast deposit in the bottom of the one bottle I tried.
I was going to say the bottle was stored inverted and what you saw was scum.
But it seems to be getting somewhat positive reviews, so I shall abstain.

Stuill had one sitting chilled in the fridge, was perfect as a palate cleanser after mowing the yard this arvo...dirty, hot and dusty, this did the job perfectly to cleanse prior to having a case swap beer.

It must be extremely frustrating to work for a mega beer factory as a brewer. Little input into the products being produced, always having to conform to what the marketing and finance depts expect/demand. It is totally possible to brew a beer that appeals to both the swill drinkers and craft beer drinkers. My father and brother are staunch new drinkers. I recently gave them a pint each of an american amber i brewed. Also gave some to colleagues at work. Feedback was all positive with the general concensus that they would happily buy a beer like that one. The key is not making it so bitter its offensive to the average punter, but yet offers enough depth in the flavour department to also be of interest to the beer snob. Lion had the opportunity to really capitalize on that but missed it by a mile with this beer

I tried one of these at Arana Leagues on Saturday night. Have to say it lived up to my expectations - bland and watery. There was a tiny hint of Amarillo flavour in the first couple of sips but after that it wasn't much different to drinking the normal Gold. At least I didn't have to pay for it. :p

I have to stick up for this beer, I had one of these at the local bowlo tonight and thought it was quite good. I would score it well in its right category.

I drank nothing but mass produced beers up until the age of 30, so I would feel like a wanker bagging them out now like I am somehow enlightened. XXXX gold is also a well made beer.

Sorry dude, that is incorrect, I too drank a fair bit of megaswill before I started brewing, and can easily appreciate a XXXX bitter now and then, but gold is flavourless piss water that only sells because stupid bogans are indoctrinated at a young age and take on some misguided sense of loyalty.... Even when I drank megaswill, gold was still a shit beer.

Ducatiboy stu said:
How does that statement even make sense
Try brewing enough for hundreds upon millions of bottles,cans and kegs over many years and not having the last brew taste any different than the first one. Well brewed. Not to most members taste here though.

splitting hairs.jpg

Yes, they consistently take their crappy recipe and achieve exactly the same outcome on every brew, now, to me, that is well brewed, even if the beer is rubbish due to the recipe. You could take a great recipe and brew it badly and it would taste bad, would that be well brewed just because the recipe is great? Of course not.

Ducatiboy stu said:
That doesnt make it well brewed. It makes it consistent.
And being consistent surely means it's well brewed (even if it tastes like shit)? This is all semantics anyway. Consistent/well brewed.. either way, it's crap beer.

Finally got round to buying a six pack of this. With some different hop it could easily pass as a 1960s UK Keg Ordinary bitter, refreshing and sessionable if you are sitting in a beer garden on a Sunday Afternoon.
Yes the Amarillo is a bit weird, even Citra would have given a cleaner edge. However nothing too objectionable for a Mid and definitely better than some abominations like Carlton hop extract Mid.

Latest posts

Back