Xxxx Gold Or Vb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antains

Reaction score
My wife's cousin is getting married on Saturday. She's marrying into a staunchly Queensland family of Queenslanders.
That's not my issue, so please take a breath if you're a Queenslander and I'm starting to upset you.
The issue is that the family has told the reception centre to change the entire beer order from VB (sadly, standard Melbourne wedding order) to XXXX Gold.
I don't know what to do. I'll drink VB when it's free and in front of me, but I'm being forced to drink XXXX Gold - not even a heavy beer.
I want to cry or start a fight.

Yep, I've got 3 weddings coming up in the next few months, 2 of which I'm expecting the same deal.
Wine is usually the best option, although at one I swear they watered it down. Tight@rses.

i had the same problem last year at my swmbo x mas work do . when i arrived i was presented with a crown lager :icon_vomit: i asked the waitress if they had any other beer she said they had hahn light so i grabed the crown , i drank half of it then went onto wine problem solved
cheers paul

I think I would be on the water that night! Either way it went!

forgot to mention i will be getting married in march we are having gage roads lager on tap i couldn't enjoy the day drinking commercial mass producted beer .
cheers paul

That's nothing on my own wedding I had to drive to our accommodation that night and I was stuck drinking Fosters Light Ice. The only one at the reception drinking light beer. Yes I payed well over $10,000 for an over cooked steak and a bottle of light ice :angry:

its called bring your own spirits (you can get away with it if you say you have food alergies to beer and wine - or you bring along a couple of hipflasks) or drink wine as already said. theres not a lot you can do. I symapthise with you.

If they are QLDs why not change it to regular xxxx. its still QLD beer its just heavy. mid strength beer at a wedding. ridiculous. just like its ridiculous having it at night footy games or the 1st day of the boxing day test.

EDIT: I just had a brainwave. to improve flavour only: buy some liquid hops from craftbrewer. You can buy a micro syringe so you can actually measure out an accurate dose for 1 single beer. just use some of that to improve flavour. as for increasing alc% I can only suggest mixing in straight spirit. maybe some homebrewed spirit with no flavour.

As time passes, I am becoming less interested in drinking common mega-beers, just like many here.

But, from what you're saying, you have been invited to a party where you can drink as much of whatever is on offer while eating your free meal and enjoying the company of your (inherited) family and (perhaps) some friends and helping the happy couple celebrate the second most important day of their lives.

Take a hip-flask of Knob Creek with you if it's too hard... :mellow:

forgot to mention i will be getting married in march we are having gage roads lager on tap i couldn't enjoy the day drinking commercial mass producted beer .
cheers paul

WORD!

Im doing the do in April and i have already settled with the winery we are having the reception at that they will do a special beer order for me. I pay for all the beer and what is not drunk i get to keep.

So who knows how much beer i should order for 110people?

Descions....Coopers, Lil creatures, Gage Road, Snowy mountains....hmmmm

But, from what you're saying, you have been invited to a party where you can drink as much of whatever is on offer while eating your free meal and enjoying the company of your (inherited) family and (perhaps) some friends and helping the happy couple celebrate the second most important day of their lives.

Point taken, Spills.
65bellet, my sincerest condolences.
There's some good advice here. I knew I could rely on the AHB crew.
:party:
Cheers,
Ant.

That's nothing on my own wedding I had to drive to our accommodation that night and I was stuck drinking Fosters Light Ice. The only one at the reception drinking light beer. Yes I payed well over $10,000 for an over cooked steak and a bottle of light ice

Well that comes down to self management Im afraid.... Maybe you should of got a taxi whats another $100.00 after spending $10K....

I'm actually still on a high from my sister in laws wedding last nov.
The groom's brother ordered every available beer at the venue, which included Murrays & Crackenback beers in the top of the fridge. What an absolute legend.
Too bad I was driving, but the 2-3 I slowly savoured that night were bliss.

edit: come to think of it, I drove from my wedding as well?!?! What the hell was I thinking?

Well that comes down to self management Im afraid.... Maybe you should of got a taxi whats another $100.00 after spending $10K....
dont start on taxis. my wedding taxi was booked months in advance and we checked the booking on the day.. the ******* stilll turned up over an hour late and we were the last ones to leave the wedding becuase of it. the ******* then have the nerve to run out of petrol and pull into a servo to fill up. I hate taxis. but yes Katie has a point. just pay the bit extra and you'll be glad you did.

I can drink XXXXGold if need be but VB,wouldn't touch it with a 50 ft barge pole

Batz

I can drink XXXXGold if need be but VB,wouldn't touch it with a 50 ft barge pole

Batz

It's probably a cultural thing. And true blue Aussie competitiveness.
:icon_cheers:

dont start on taxis. my wedding taxi was booked months in advance and we checked the booking on the day.. the ******* stilll turned up over an hour late and we were the last ones to leave the wedding becuase of it. the ******* then have the nerve to run out of petrol and pull into a servo to fill up. I hate taxis. but yes Katie has a point. just pay the bit extra and you'll be glad you did.

TAXIS :blink:

I think I remember on my wedding night I drive the bride home :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back